Paul-Mac's "what I think will happen" mock

paul-mac

Every year I write two mocks for the Broncos, one on what I legitimately think Elway is going to do, and the second on what I'd do if I were in his shoes.

Here's the first of those two mocks based on what I actually expect the Broncos to do.

1st round, pick#15: Henry Ruggs, WR, Alabama

A run on OT's and defensive players in the top 14 picks gives Denver it's choice of Alabama receivers, with only Oklahoma Sooner CeeDee Lamb off the board. Elway knows you need home run hitters to win the AFC West and bringing Ruggs into the building can help us leverage Drew Lock's arm talent. I'd prefer Jerry Jeudy, but all reports are Ruggs is the guy the front office covets.

2nd round, pick #43: Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that corner is the pick at 46. CJ Henderson and Jeff Okudah will be long gone by 15, so expect a WR first. Then it's a case of seeing which of the fringe first round corners falls. Could be any of Kristian Fulton from LSU, Jeff Gladney from TCU, Jaylon Johnson from Utah, Damon Arnette from Ohio State or AJ Terrell from Clemson. I've gone for Johnson because he's a good scheme fit and I believe he has the best chance of falling to the second round.

3rd round, pick #77: Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota

If Elway grabs his deep threat at 15, I think he will come back in the mid rounds for a bigger possession guy. Johnson reminds me of fellow former Gopher Eric Decker. He can be a chain mover on third down and will compete with Tim Patrick and Dae'Sean Hamilton for the #3 WR job.

3rd round, pick #83: Matt Hennessy, C, Temple

Assuming Graham Glasgow plays Guard, the Broncos have no one with starting NFL experience at C. Hennessy is a guy we've shown interest in and a good scheme fit. He will compete with youngsters Austin Schlottman and Patrick Morris for the starting job.

3rd round, pick #95: Darnay Holmes, Slot CB/FS, UCLA

Holmes can compete with Bausby and Yiadom to provide depth at CB, and can also backup Justin Simmons at FS. If Simmons walks after his tag year, he could step in and start at FS in 2021.

4th round, pick #118: Jack Driscoll, OT, Auburn

Driscoll needs a year with Munchak but could be out future LT if Bolles isn't re-signed.

Broncos trade 5th round, pick #178 and 7th round, pick #252 for a 2021 4th round pick

In his 9 drafts as GM, Elway has made at least one draft day trade every year. No reason why 2020 should be any different. We have 10 picks and no way we have 10 spots on the roster, so makes sense to package a couple of them to move up in next year's draft.

6th round, pick #181: Antoine Brooks Jr, SS, Maryland

Here's your oven ready Will Parks replacement. Will see a lot of snaps as a "moneybacker" and can backup Kareem Jackson if he gets injured.

7th round, pick #254: Raymond Calais, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette

Practice squad fodder.

Depth chart

QB: Drew Lock, Jeff Driskell, Brett Rypien

RB: Melvin Gordon, Phillip Lindsay, Royce Freeman

FB: Jeremy Cox

WR: Courtland Sutton, Dae'Sean Hamilton

WR: Henry Ruggs III, Tim Patrick

Slot: Tyler Johnson, Juwan Winfree

TE: Noah Fant, Nick Vannett, Troy Fumagalli

LT: Garrett Bolles, Jack Driscoll

LG: Dalton Risner, Austin Schlottman