Redskins draft prospect contacts

MikeT14

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Yet,,, it's possible we drafted McLaurin because Haskins said "get me one of my guys " .. hhhhmmmm .??

I have to admit, this has always concerned me. Was it a great scouting coup that led us to identify McLaurin as a potential star — or did we fall *** backwards into him because we were trying to get an OSU receiver and Parris Campbell was already gone? 

I obviously hope it’s the former, but it would be a very Redskins thing to do to bump a guy up the board because of the “OSU connection” aspect. 

16 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

He's okay, but there are loads more WRs I am higher on, specifically GG and Pittman.

Pittman for sure, but he’ll be gone by 66 unless we’re still in possession of the same rabbit’s foot/four leaf clover that got Jonathan Allen to drop to 17. 

AGG, I like aspects of his game. Great contested catch guy, long arms and big vertical give him a huge catch radius, decent on the release, seems to track the ball well, bullies the smaller guys after the catch (and when blocking). But he’s not fast, he’s not fluid or quick out of his breaks for the most part, and he’s not really a technician at the snap or in his routes. To me, he’s like a poor man’s Denzel Mims, without the speed to really threaten defenses over the top. 

And when comparing him to Edwards, we’re talking about a guy in AGG who spent most of his career beating up on the likes of the New Mexico schools, UMass, and Buffalo, whereas Edwards was one of the most productive players in the history of the SEC. When we’re talking about being a complete receiver, and being able to compete against high-level press coverage in particular, I have to lean Edwards as the better bet. 

Not to say I don’t like AGG. If he’s still there in the 4th and we haven’t gone WR yet (or landed someone like Hamler), I’m all over him. But not ahead of Edwards, for me at least.

14 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I think he will be like Harmon. And not selected as high as originally expected.

When at the same stage of being Juniors. Deebo was all overtop of him. He needed that senior year which isnt going unnoticed by teams. And being he needed that senior year against all those juniors projected in his range of the draft. I think it hurts him because his shelf level shows more than guys around his range. So teams will take the risk of exceeding that shelf with the unknown potential player. I say he was interviewed in case he is there later like Harmon. Maybe with one of our 2 4ths.

To me, there are a couple things that stand out about Edwards. 

Number one is that he started from day one as a 17-year-old freshman at an SEC school. And put up solid production. That speaks “physically gifted” to me. Most guys can’t come right out of the box and compete at such a high level. 

Number two is that they had him return punts. That’s always a big one for me, as I think returning kicks shows you a lot about burst, elusiveness, change of direction, vision, and ability to defeat tackles. All of which are key for modern NFL receivers. When a coaching staff is willing to risk injury to one of their best players in order to have him out there returning kicks, it tells me a lot about how they perceive his skillset. That’s what drew me to Deebo last year, and they had this guy returning punts over Deebo

Speaking of Deebo, number three is that this guy shared the field with a player who has already proven to be an impactful NFL receiver and basically matched him in terms of production. In 2018, Deebo went for 62 catches and 882 yards as a senior. That same year, Edwards went for 55 catches and 816 yards. They essentially split things right down the middle, and that tells me a lot about how the coaching staff that watched both of them everyday perceived his ability. 

The last one is that, despite the fact that he’s 4th in yards and 3rd in receptions in SEC history, he’s still not even 21.5 years old. Which means he’s the same age as most of the juniors in the class, despite being a senior in terms of classification. He’s a year younger than guys like Aiyuk, Mims, Pittman, AGG, Hill, V. Jefferson (2+ years younger than Van, actually). Age matters to me, to some degree, because being young suggests there’s still more projectability there, and being older suggests you might have just been beating up on less physically mature opposition. 

I would wager he’s firmly in round 3, but it’ll be interesting to see. I think one of the teams that misses out on the 2nd round run on WRs will grab him before the board gets picked down too thin. But who knows, the guy did miss the entire draft season — maybe that will make teams hesitate to pull the trigger when they haven’t been able to see him up against the other top prospects? I’d be turning cartwheels if we could get him at 102.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I have to admit, this has always concerned me. Was it a great scouting coup that led us to identify McLaurin as a potential star — or did we fall *** backwards into him because we were trying to get an OSU receiver and Parris Campbell was already gone? 

I obviously hope it’s the former, but it would be a very Redskins thing to do to bump a guy up the board because of the “OSU connection” aspect. 

Bingo.  100% agreement. 

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

I don't think we need to overthink it or try to know the answer to questions we’ll never know about. I’m just happy we have him.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don't think we need to overthink it or try to know the answer to questions we’ll never know about. I’m just happy we have him.

If it's an afterthought, or just one of the pieces that went into drafting him, I'm fine with it.  If we are letting a player currently on the roster dictate who we draft, that's a pretty slippery slope.  And at that point, only on the roster for one day without a signed contract. 

Not to keep beating the horse on the Edwards thing, but here’s his game film from Mizzou this year. Sharing it to try to make another point, which is that his QB play was really bad this year. The kid who played QB for SC this year (Hilinski) was a true freshman, so he may well end up being a good player — but if we were being kind, we might call him a bit “hit or miss” this season. Edwards put up 6 for 118 and a TD in this game, but it probably should have been closer to 11 for 200 and maybe 2 TDs, given how many times he was open and just flat out missed. 

I think it’s important to keep QB play in mind when comparing the numbers between these WR prospects. Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Jefferson, Higgins, Hill, etc. all had very good, probably elite college QBs throwing to them. And guys like Pittman, Shenault, Hamler, Mims, and Aiyuk at least had pretty good college QBs running the show.

But Bryan Edwards and Jalen Reagor had true freshman QBs who simply weren’t up to snuff. They were dead last (Hilinski from USC) and second to last (Duggan from TCU) in passer efficiency rating in the country among full-time QBs. I think we need to keep that in mind when we look at their numbers or consider them to have fallen off last year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Not to keep beating the horse on the Edwards thing, but here’s his game film from Mizzou this year. Sharing it to try to make another point, which is that his QB play was really bad this year. The kid who played QB for SC this year (Hilinski) was a true freshman, so he may well end up being a good player — but if we were being kind, we might call him a bit “hit or miss” this season. Edwards put up 6 for 118 and a TD in this game, but it probably should have been closer to 11 for 200 and maybe 2 TDs, given how many times he was open and just flat out missed. 

I think it’s important to keep QB play in mind when comparing the numbers between these WR prospects. Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Jefferson, Higgins, Hill, etc. all had very good, probably elite college QBs throwing to them. And guys like Pittman, Shenault, Hamler, Mims, and Aiyuk at least had pretty good college QBs running the show.

But Bryan Edwards and Jalen Reagor had true freshman QBs who simply weren’t up to snuff. They were dead last (Hilinski from USC) and second to last (Duggan from TCU) in passer efficiency rating in the country among full-time QBs. I think we need to keep that in mind when we look at their numbers or consider them to have fallen off last year. 

That’s the same point I had about Albert O, who I’m glad you finally came around on. Both guys have potential to be good starters in my mind. I wouldn’t be upset if we took them in rounds 3 & 4.