I Want.../I Don't Want...

The Gnat

58 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Not the best way to go about things if you actually want to build a contending team.

Draft early what you can't develop well, draft late what you can - if Zimmer/Spielman need to draft early round CBs to make the defense work, then it's what we should do.

I think that it would be best to bring in some stop gap free agent CB's to compete with Hughes and Hill along with some mid to low round rookies and UDFA's to compete and add depth.  If this team is going to contend in the near future, they would be wise to gain strength in the trenches, especially on offense.  On defense, if the Vikings can produce a better pass rush from the linemen, that will compensate for some deficiencies in the backfield for this season.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Well, hate to say it, it's time he learned.

Well, the statement that you are replying to is baloney anyhow. He doesn't know that Zimmer/staff can't develop late round CBs. He hasn't needed to. That's just a statement that people throw around to knock Zimmer for whatever reason.

There's a chance a tackle like Andrew Thomas could fall to 22.  Small chance, but still.  Josh Jones may be there and may not, considering OTs are so valued around the league.  Henderson, Gladney and Jaylon Johnson maybe Fulton in the first is almost a must.  

In the first, I would hope to see OT, CB or pass rushing DT.  If a guy who is not one of those falls and the value is too good to pass up, so be it.  We need talent at a lot of positions.  

I would hope we would pass on WR in the first.  I would take a RB before WR honestly.  WR before the 3rd or 4th round would be ill advised at this time with this coaching staff.

5 minutes ago, Hyperborean said:

I would hope we would pass on WR in the first.  I would take a RB before WR honestly.  WR before the 3rd or 4th round would be ill advised at this time with this coaching staff.

Ya lost me on the RB before WR; can you explain why?

• Like 1

Concerning the first round...

Want but unrealistic without trade-up:

Javon Kinlaw, DE/DT

K'Lavon Chaisson, DE

CJ Henderson, CB

Want:

Ezra Cleveland, LT

Cesar Ruiz, G

Jeff Gladney, CB

Jaylon Johnson, CB

Don't want:

Austin Jackson, OL 

Yetur Gross-Matos, DE

Justin Jefferson, Slot

Everyone else I don’t feel too strongly about.

Edited by Duluther

18 hours ago, RpMc said:

Ya lost me on the RB before WR; can you explain why?

We're a run-first team (don't tell me you hadn't heard lol) and likely can't afford to resign Cook.  Even if he is resigned, I think there needs to be some more talent to take up the slack when he gets injured.  

9 minutes ago, Hyperborean said:

We're a run-first team (don't tell me you hadn't heard lol) and likely can't afford to resign Cook.  Even if he is resigned, I think there needs to be some more talent to take up the slack when he gets injured.  

How any 2nd/3rd round picks do you want to spend on the position? We've already got Cook and Mattison, and even if Cook leaves after this year, a RB can be drafted next year to pair with Mattison.

It makes little sense to draft another round 2/3 RB this year unless the team moves Cook prior to/during the draft.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

How any 2nd/3rd round picks do you want to spend on the position? We've already got Cook and Mattison, and even if Cook leaves after this year, a RB can be drafted next year to pair with Mattison.

It makes little sense to draft another round 2/3 RB this year unless the team moves Cook prior to/during the draft.

I'm the GM in this instance and I would let Cook walk.  You'll love my latest mock xD

Just now, Hyperborean said:

I'm the GM in this instance and I would let Cook walk.  You'll love my latest mock xD

Letting Cook walk AFTER this year, makes sense pending his contract demands - drafting a replacement this year, who won't play much, and be a year closer to needing to be paid himself by the time he does play, doesn't.

Just now, RpMc said:

Letting Cook walk AFTER this year, makes sense pending his contract demands - drafting a replacement this year, who won't play much, and be a year closer to needing to be paid himself by the time he does play, doesn't.

You think rookies make more of a difference than I do I guess.

Just now, Hyperborean said:

You think rookies make more of a difference than I do I guess.

2nd and 3rd round rookies, absolutely

Given the plug and play ability of rookie runningbacks, the team would be just fine if they let Cook walk after the season and drafted a back next year.  Drafting one with a top 100 pick this year would be a gross mismanagement of assets given the youth injection and starting caliber players this team needs and positions that are much more important.

To each their own, though.