J_DUB724's Steelers Mock Draft 1.0

J_DUB724

2. Lloyd Cushenberry, IOL, LSU (6'3", 312 lb, 40:5.27)

qcz-zK571QSEydHClbCZ_D9-u9uYtvct7FrGNxIM

Cushenberry was a team leader on the national champion LSU Tigers. He anchored the Joe Moore Award-winning offensive line, which is awarded to college football’s best unit. He played center at LSU, but has the skills to move to guard. He has big arms, long arms and is very strong. This will give the Steelers options at multiple positions. At LG, they could start either Cushenberry, Wisniewski or Feiler. At RT, they could start either Feiler, Okorafor or Banner. I would hope that Cushenberry and Feiler win the starting battles. This would give the Steelers good depth across the OL with Wisniewski, Okorafor and Banner.

3. Bryan Edwards, WR, South Carolina (6'3", 212 lbs)

EdwardsB_190914_216_JB.jpg

Edwards had consistent production in the SEC with very erratic QB play. He reminds me of another former South Carolina WR that I wanted the Steelers to draft, Deebo Samuel. He is very physical, but much bigger than Deebo. Deebo was a more fine tuned WR coming out of South Carolina with his excellent route running and good hands. Edwards didn't run a 40 because of an injury he had late in 2019. He wasn't expected to put up a great time any way. His game is using his big body and making contested catches. Edwards will finally give the Steelers a big WR to use. The core of Juju, Johnson, Washington and Edwards would be exciting with Ben at QB.

RECEIVING
SEASON TEAM G RECPT YDS TDS
2016-17 South Carolina 12 44 590 4
2017-18 South Carolina 13 64 793 5
2018-19 South Carolina 13 55 846 7
2019-20 South Carolina 10 71 816 6

https://youtu.be/laB5f_5FaDk - HIGHLIGHTS

4a. Ke'Shawn Vaughn, RB, Vanderbilt (5'10", 214 lbs, 40:4.51)

Vaughn_Ke_Shawn_BallTucked_GI_.5c38c405e

We continue taking SEC players with Vaughn. Vaughn had good production with a bad OL in the toughest conference in the country. He has the prototypical size. He isn't flashy but is very decisiveness as a runner. Vaughn is a one cut and hit the hole turn running back. I don't see Vaughn making a huge impact in year one with Conner, Samuels and Snell ahead of him. This is a contract year for Conner, and we all know his injury past. I could see the Steelers letting him go and moving ahead with the three young backs next year.

RUSHING
SEASON TEAM G ATT YDS TDS
2015-16 Illinois 11 157 723 6
2016-17 Illinois 11 60 301 3
2018-19 Vanderbilt 12 157 1244 12
2019-20 Vanderbilt 12 198 1028 9
TOTAL   46 572 3296 30
RECEIVING
SEASON TEAM G RECPT YDS TDS
2015-16 Illinois 11 16 119 0
2016-17 Illinois 11 9 89 0
2018-19 Vanderbilt 12 13 170 2
2019-20 Vanderbilt 12 28 270 1
TOTAL  

https://youtu.be/vDTgkG1bT3Y -HIGHLIGHTS

4b. Alex Highsmith, EDGE, Charlotte (6'3'', 248 lbs, 40:4.70)

SSIM9629_Highsmith_reacts_UMASS.jpg

We break the SEC trend and go small school with this pick. Highsmith reminds of Javon Hargrave. He wasn't recruited out of HS, went to a small school and dominated there. He sacked Trevor Lawrence when they played Clemson and Dabo Swinney raved about him after the game. He doesn't have the length you would like at OLB, but has a motor that doesn't quit. He will provide depth at OLB and help on special teams immediately. I don't know if Highsmith will ever be a future starter, though I see him being a better Anthony Chickillo with more upside.

Year School Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
2016 Charlotte CUSA FR LB 11 11 6 17 2.0 1.0 0 0   0 1 0     0
2017 Charlotte CUSA SO LB 9 23 10 33 5.0 2.0 0 0   0 0 1     0
2018 Charlotte CUSA JR DE 12 38 22 60 18.5 3.0 0 0   0 1 0     2
*2019 Charlotte CUSA SR DE 13 43 32 75 21.5 15.0 0 0   0 3 0     2

https://youtu.be/Z5AnaQVWfj4 -HIGHLIGHTS

6. Bravvion Roy, IDL, Baylor (6'1'', 332 lbs)

0031856-ujyo-1280x720.jpg

Roy has a wide-body with a steady base. He is surprisingly quick and nimble. He is strong at the point of attack. Roy does have short arms that can create some problems. He uses his high motor to work through them though. Javon Hargrave left a big hole in the middle of that defense. I don't think McCullers, Roy or any single person will fill that void. It will be a rotation of players at NT, with some of the DEs playing there too. Roy is somebody that they can groom into that role with time. He got better every year at Baylor and hopefully that trend continues. He had two block field goals at Baylor, so he help be able to help there too.

Year School Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
*2016 Baylor Big 12 FR DT 6 5 2 7 0.0 0.0 0 0   0 0 0     0
2017 Baylor Big 12 SO DT 11 16 15 31 3.0 0.5 0 0   0 0 0     0
*2018 Baylor Big 12 JR DT 11 15 19 34 3.0 1.5 0 0   0 0 0     0
*2019 Baylor Big 12 SR DT 14 35 26 61 13.0 5.5 0 0   0 0 0     1

https://youtu.be/bJyV9fg4vTs -HIGHLIGHTS

7. Colton McKivitz, OT, West Virginia (6'6'', 306 lbs, 40:5.35)

StockMcKivitz1-1000x600.jpg

Colton has 4 years of starting experience at WVU. He has played both LT and RT. He projects more to RT in the NFL. He might not the measurables you want at OT, but he is a smart football that uses good technique. He plays with a nasty demeanor too. Colton will have to fight for that 9th OL spot. At worst he could join the practice squad and continue to grow there.

• Like 4

Like the 1, 4b and 7 picks.  I'm not a big fan of Edwards but I know others are.  I worry he won't be able to get separation.  But I said the same thing about Mike Evans :$.  I like the idea of adding a downfield WR threat tho.  Vaugn is Ok but I prefer a more explosive RB but it is the 4th Rd so I understand the selection.  Roy is fine but anybody not named Benito Jones get a selfish thumbs down from me.  I'm obsessed with him.  Solid mock and nice 1st post.  Well done.  

First, welcome to the board.

The thing I don't like about this draft is none of the guys, to me, are going to help us win THIS YEAR.  There is no pop in any guys that scream to me that they are going to push us to the SB.  Cush is a 2021 guy, Edwards is a complimentary/posession WR, Vaughn is OK, Highsmith is a gimmick pass rusher.  I love Roy here.

It is tough to get guys that are going to help in year 1, but there are a few.  I am going to keep yelling that Offensive Skillplayer is the choice with 2.49, and someone will get drafted that will help the offense in 2020.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kurgan said:

First, welcome to the board.

The thing I don't like about this draft is none of the guys, to me, are going to help us win THIS YEAR.  There is no pop in any guys that scream to me that they are going to push us to the SB.  Cush is a 2021 guy, Edwards is a complimentary/posession WR, Vaughn is OK, Highsmith is a gimmick pass rusher.  I love Roy here.

It is tough to get guys that are going to help in year 1, but there are a few.  I am going to keep yelling that Offensive Skillplayer is the choice with 2.49, and someone will get drafted that will help the offense in 2020.

I think Cush is a 2020 guy and Edwards could be. Cush has a better chance of starting day 1 at LG over any RB or WR taken. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kurgan said:

The thing I don't like about this draft is none of the guys, to me, are going to help us win THIS YEAR.

I’d be very worried about that this year in general. There’s a chance we have a very limited offseason which means extremely small amounts of reps for young guys in order to get starters the numbers they need to get ready. 

It’s a part of why I’m out on running back and all in on OL. The last CBAs limit to practice and padded practices hit offensive line pretty hard and we take another step back in that department in this new CBA. Gimme a top OL who’s job it is to just develop and roll into 2021 a better player. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

It’s a part of why I’m out on running back and all in on OL. The last CBAs limit to practice and padded practices hit offensive line pretty hard and we take another step back in that department in this new CBA. Gimme a top OL who’s job it is to just develop and roll into 2021 a better player. 

I disagree... there are many anecdotes that relate to RB's in the NFL.  There are only parts of the game that are hard to translate to the NFL from high level CFB.  Mostly it is pass pro and passing concepts.  You can limit a rookie for the most part.  Just look at how many guys were added last year at the last minute and were able to play, Kerrith White, Trey Edmunds, etc.  I mean, I would not want Akers or CEH in week 1 on 3rd and long since they have to pick up a blitzing linebacker, but they are fine on most occasions.

I just think that our first pick has to impact 2020.  I am not willing to sell out this 2 year window for a developmental lineman for our first pick.  Later picks, sure, but the first pick has to be an impact player.  I think it has to be RB or WR.  But, this is all just me and is all conjecture.  I think you can take a IOL or T (or both) in 4-6 and develop for 2021.

I fully expect our first two picks to contribute in 2020.  The first pick will be offense and the second will be defense.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kurgan said:

there are many anecdotes that relate to RB's in the NFL.  There are only parts of the game that are hard to translate to the NFL from high level CFB.  Mostly it is pass pro and passing concepts.

This is where I have a tough time with the value of running back in general and our current team. The parts of the game that transfer easily are already filled with Connor and Snell. The value of RB is in its rookie contract as the position is largely replaceable. So we would be taking a guy in the top 50 and giving him an extremely limited role, essentially eliminating a year of his best value. Im not for that. The best place to find snaps is as a pass blocking/receiving back, but as you mentioned its the most difficult and one I dont think Tomlin is handing over to a rookie in general, but specially not to a rookie that has no/limited off-season for reps. 

I'm a big fan of CEH and I know he brings KR ability at least, but i would prefer to skip the position entirely in 2020. If we want to run to the podium for our starter in 2021, we are at least maximizing the positions value. 

Tomlin has also shown no interest in running back by committee. His history is workhorse guys. That means as long as Connor is here and healthy and Snell is capable of early down work....where are the snaps to get your moneys worth on maximizing a top 50 pick?

10 hours ago, kurgan said:

I just think that our first pick has to impact 2020.  I am not willing to sell out this 2 year window for a developmental lineman for our first pick.  Later picks, sure, but the first pick has to be an impact player.  I think it has to be RB or WR.  But, this is all just me and is all conjecture.  I think you can take a IOL or T (or both) in 4-6 and develop for 2021.

I just think you are going to have a hard time finding that player in 2020 with the off-season we may have as well as starting at pick 49 and 102. I know the mocks all say "Starts as our receiving back" and "will be our dime backer", but these guys are going to be low picks and potentially see very little snaps. I think its best to bank on NONE of the rookie having immediate impact other than STs. 

Im all for WR, provided they are a different type of threat than our current roster. You can find work for a 4th receiver, especially if their skill set is diverse from the rest of the group. Hard to find work for a singular use position when they are already guys in your way. 

But lineman take development in today's NFL. Give me the more talented guy to work with vs. the hope and a prayer of a later "we will develop him" pick that might not even make the roster. Take the better IOL and take your starting RB next year when you maximize his time on roster and you have a better team. Also, as our roster stands, Fieler has to play LG, because we dont have a back up C if Wiz is our starting LG. The value of Wiz is as the interior back up or we are missing an IOL with him as a starter -- so there is an immediate role. 

I just dont see it as selling out this 2 year window. Its hoping too much for the most random event (the draft) to have such a significant impact in what is going to be a strange season. Teams relying on vets, IMO, are better off in 2020 than teams that may have more, younger talent. 

Fantastic points by both @kurganand @Dcash4 Seriously, I’m enthralled by the debate. 

I’ll weigh in with my two cents. You know what a good debate needs? Someone not as smart as either participant jumping in a messing it all up, so here we go lol

I definitely see both sides to the argument. O-line definitely takes a long time to develop, but I think we’ve got a good system that will help a linemen develop. Good vets, a good position coach, and a good stable HC. I also see the point about needing impact while Ben is still slinging. I can see the value in adding a RB, though it’s such an undervalued position in today’s game it would be a let down to take one early. I do like CEH, Dobbins, and Akers a lot. 

My suggestion is to have the best of both worlds. I want to take Chase Claypool or Jalen Raegor At 49 if they’re there. With the 3rd rounder we grab John Simpson. With the 4th pick we get Antonio Gibson from Memphis. I know he has fewer than 40 carries to his name, but he’s perfect for what we need. He can immediately replace Samuel and White. He’s a RB/WR hybrid that is actually athletic. He’s like a super speed Samuel. He can split carries with Connor and Snell. If/when Connor gets hurt you still have a lightening/thunder duo with Gibson and Snell. Then we can look safety/ILB/NT with our last picks. I know it’s not super realistic because they like to stagger offense and defense, but imagine what our offense can look like with Ben back AND all the new speed of Raegor/Claypool and Gibson. Plus we get our LG of the future(and maybe next year) in Simpson.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

This is where I have a tough time with the value of running back in general and our current team. The parts of the game that transfer easily are already filled with Connor and Snell. The value of RB is in its rookie contract as the position is largely replaceable. So we would be taking a guy in the top 50 and giving him an extremely limited role, essentially eliminating a year of his best value. Im not for that. The best place to find snaps is as a pass blocking/receiving back, but as you mentioned its the most difficult and one I dont think Tomlin is handing over to a rookie in general, but specially not to a rookie that has no/limited off-season for reps

Couple of things here... as we saw last year, Connor is going to get dinged and miss time.  And, as much as I love Benny Snell football, his best usage is that of a grinder late in the game to get yards and beat up on LBs and DBs that are trying to tackle him.  In addition, Connor is in his last year, so a pick now in a way addresses 2021 and the future.

Tomlin has also shown no interest in running back by committee. His history is workhorse guys. That means as long as Connor is here and healthy and Snell is capable of early down work....where are the snaps to get your moneys worth on maximizing a top 50 pick?

I disagree with this as well.  There were several games last year where multiple guys got carries.  Connor, Samuels, Snell, Edmunds, White all dressed at the end of the season.

Let's just say that, for discussion's sake, that CEH is the pick.  He can, right away, take 8-10 snaps off of Connor in base sets and on early downs, like White did last year.  As you said, he (and any other back taken early) can also work on ST.  As CEH learns the playbook, by mideseason, he is still taking 33% of the base carries, and maybe 30% of 3rd and long in designed plays (screens, draws, easy protections, etc.).  As the season progresses, he gets more workload.  If/when Connors goes down, he and Snell's load go up.  Maybe by the end of the season, he is on the field say 35-40% of the time.  That is real good for a rookie, and maybe he has say 500 yards and 3 TD.  That is an impact.  That is something that teams have to worry about.  And, he is ready to go with Snell and Samuels for 2021 as Connors sails off into the sunset.

I just think you are going to have a hard time finding that player in 2020 with the off-season we may have as well as starting at pick 49 and 102. I know the mocks all say "Starts as our receiving back" and "will be our dime backer", but these guys are going to be low picks and potentially see very little snaps. I think its best to bank on NONE of the rookie having immediate impact other than STs. 

I have to disagree with this one... we are missing 2 HUGE snap eaters from last year off of defense.  Chick and Barron played a bunch of defensive snaps.  While we might count on Tuzar/Ola for the Chick snaps, there is NO ONE to take the Barron role but UG3 who didn't make it the full season as is a 6th round pick.  With our interest in ILB types and 0 depth at safety, a guy like Antoine Winfield, KVon Wallace, Brandon Jones, etc can expect nickel work almost immediatley.

Im all for WR, provided they are a different type of threat than our current roster. You can find work for a 4th receiver, especially if their skill set is diverse from the rest of the group. Hard to find work for a singular use position when they are already guys in your way. 

I am 100% on board with this.  This is why I keep saying offensive playmaker.  I know that limits it to RB/WR, but that is my gut feeling, barring a DDC-type slide.  If one of the top WR fall, that is the guy.  I think there are connections to Tee Higgins, Jalen Reagor, Michael Pittman and DPJ that are too hard to ignore.  Now, some may be too rich at 49, but they all do something that either we don't have or Ben really likes.  There are others later that make sense as well.

But lineman take development in today's NFL. Give me the more talented guy to work with vs. the hope and a prayer of a later "we will develop him" pick that might not even make the roster. Take the better IOL and take your starting RB next year when you maximize his time on roster and you have a better team. Also, as our roster stands, Fieler has to play LG, because we dont have a back up C if Wiz is our starting LG. The value of Wiz is as the interior back up or we are missing an IOL with him as a starter -- so there is an immediate rol

In a vacuum, I am with you.  Right now, if Ben were 10 years younger OR we could have more confidence in Rudolph, I might be inclined to grab Cush and redshirt him.  But, in my view, we are in Super Bowl mode now.  I am totally OK with Feiler flipping to LG in camp to see if Chuks or Banner are the man.  If neither are, Feiler can go back out and we know Wiz can play.  If something happens in game to Pounce, Feiler can go to LG, Chuks to RT and Wiz to C.  I am not nearly as worried about OL as I was a month ago.  I know Wiz is not a killer or a long term answer, but he is good enough for now, and I know I can take a guy later and work with him.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

My suggestion is to have the best of both worlds. I want to take Chase Claypool or Jalen Raegor At 49 if they’re there. With the 3rd rounder we grab John Simpson. With the 4th pick we get Antonio Gibson from Memphis.

I would be down with Reagor (if his 'lockerroom issues' are sorted out) at 49.  Claypool is a little rich, but I see the point. Also, you all know I coached Simpson in HS and love him and he would be a dream come true for me.  I also mocked Gibson to us in my last mock, and think he is special.

My issue would be that we did not address S/nickelbacker at all in this scenario.

@kurgan (I didn’t want to quote that whole thing and I’m on my phone) I have some faith that Snell is going to improve significantly from last year. I think he’s going to be a good back. I think he’s got a pretty good chance to be as good as James Connor when he was flashing two years ago. I think Snell will gain some juice in his legs when he drops weight, which I think he’ll do.

Snell, at least IMO, showed signs of being just a step to slow to react and it cost him some big plays. Those come with experience. 

• Like 1

@kurgan I think we are having a bit of a miscommunication on why I don’t want a running back at 49. It’s not that I don’t understand that they could gave a role, it’s that running back (IMO) has zero value as a top 50 pick if they are not your full time player. I get the HOW of the pick, I don’t get the WHY in 2020. It’s not a valuable enough position in general, it’s easily replaceable and replicated, and it’s a one player at a time usage. 

I don’t mind taking a RB in the draft. I’d actually really like taking a late flyer on Malcom Perry or as @MOSteelers56 mentioned Gibson. I’m not taking a RB so he can be the guy next year. I’ll just wait as next years class is going to be nice, so is the FA group, and they can immediately start paying 4 year dividends well worth the cost. 

1 hour ago, kurgan said:

I am totally OK with Feiler flipping to LG in camp to see if Chuks or Banner are the man.  If neither are, Feiler can go back out and we know Wiz can play.  If something happens in game to Pounce, Feiler can go to LG, Chuks to RT and Wiz to C.  I am not nearly as worried about OL as I was a month ago.  I know Wiz is not a killer or a long term answer, but he is good enough for now, and I know I can take a guy later and work with him.

I’m a fan of continuity when it comes to OL, not flip flopping (or if your a fan of Scrubs, Shift switching). I like having game to game flexibility in a pinch, but I don’t want our starting guard to be our backup center and then our starting RT to be our backup LG. If wiz starts, we are still down a C. You can’t have both your centers be full time starters. It’s why I think IOL has immediate value, whether they ever play or not. It just gives us far more roster flexibility. 

A running back doesn’t need a year to develop to contribute as a high level starter. A guard probably does. 

1 hour ago, kurgan said:

I have to disagree with this one... we are missing 2 HUGE snap eaters from last year off of defense.  Chick and Barron played a bunch of defensive snaps.  While we might count on Tuzar/Ola for the Chick snaps, there is NO ONE to take the Barron role but UG3 who didn't make it the full season as is a 6th round pick.  With our interest in ILB types and 0 depth at safety, a guy like Antoine Winfield, KVon Wallace, Brandon Jones, etc can expect nickel work almost immediatley.

It’s either because I’m a pessimist (which is the opposite of what I really am in real life) or a realist when it comes to the draft....but I don’t like relying on 2-7 round picks to fill roles. We have seen 3 round picks not even make a roster, so I’m not going to rely on that guy to be a pseudo starter. I also think this year is going to be extremely difficult for rookies to get the snaps needed to be ready to contribute with a limited offseason. So while I agree there are gaps, we are far better suited with the growth of second and third year guys vs banking on second and third round picks. 

I see a trade in or future for a vet safety that probably gets pushed off his roster on draft day. I don’t want to trust a 4th round rookie with no offseason program to be relied on to come stop Travis Kelce in dime. 

Running back is really the piece I’m strongly against. Other than that, I just really don’t trust rookies to be placed in positions immediately and I fear they are not going to get enough offseason snaps to allow them to earn it. I’m sure it’s just my own issues with value and an “expecting the worst” style of view of the draft though  

Also, I just like to argue and I’m exited that it draft week, so let’s keep going!!! 

Edited by Dcash4

54 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

@kurgan I think we are having a bit of a miscommunication on why I don’t want a running back at 49. It’s not that I don’t understand that they could gave a role, it’s that running back (IMO) has zero value as a top 50 pick if they are not your full time player. I get the HOW of the pick, I don’t get the WHY in 2020. It’s not a valuable enough position in general, it’s easily replaceable and replicated, and it’s a one player at a time usage. 

Oh, believe me, we are on the same page.  As much as I do not WANT this to happen, I feel like it IS going to happen.  Look at the evidence. 

• We spent our 1 and 3 already on defense (Minkah and Bush), and Colbert has a history of balancing drafts.
  • The bubble of players that are going to be good value in the 40's are OL, RB, WR and maybe CB.
  • If you look at all the data (P5, SPARQ-y players, bloodlines, etc) you can eliminate down to a select pool of players
  • We are in a two year window to win the SB with Ben on current contract
  • Rooney said we have to improve the running game, and some of that was Connor's injury-proneness

I fought against the idea of RB for a long time.  I thought all of the same things you did, and still do.  Bottom line, when reading tea leaves, you cannot discount the pick of a RB here.  As much as I would love just to say take the best WR possible (or S, which to me is the biggest need), if the right RB is there, they are going to take them based on data and what happened last year.  But, I am with you.  I would not do it personally... but I feel like it is going to happen.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I don’t mind taking a RB in the draft. I’d actually really like taking a late flyer on Malcom Perry or as @MOSteelers56 mentioned Gibson. I’m not taking a RB so he can be the guy next year. I’ll just wait as next years class is going to be nice, so is the FA group, and they can immediately start paying 4 year dividends well worth the cost. 

2 hours ago, kurgan said:

So, if you look at our past drafts, we take a RB every year.  Connors (3rd comp), Samuels (5th), Snell (5th).  I guess we can continue the trend, and take another late round back to jump in when Connors leaves next year.  But, if you look when we took Bell, we didn't take a back every year.  Maybe if we get a good one at 49, we won't have to take one next year??

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m a fan of continuity when it comes to OL, not flip flopping (or if your a fan of Scrubs, Shift switching). I like having game to game flexibility in a pinch, but I don’t want our starting guard to be our backup center and then our starting RT to be our backup LG. If wiz starts, we are still down a C. You can’t have both your centers be full time starters. It’s why I think IOL has immediate value, whether they ever play or not. It just gives us far more roster flexibility. 

In my experience as a coach, it is not a good idea to flip flop BUT, you always want your best 5 to play.  However you grade the OL, the best 5 should play.  If someone goes down, #6 should be the next man in.  If I am coaching, and Wiz is #5, I am not holding him out and playing #6 because he is a tackle and I need Wiz to be my backup C.  My best guess is that Wiz is #6 at the moment, but he didn't come to Pitt to be a backup.  He could win the LG spot.  If he does, he is still our backup C.  If Pouncey goes down, he will still move over and #6 would come in.  In addition, lets say Cush is drafted... is he #6... #5??  For me, he would not be better than Wiz, at least not in week 1.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

see a trade in or future for a vet safety that probably gets pushed off his roster on draft day. I don’t want to trust a 4th round rookie with no offseason program to be relied on to come stop Travis Kelce in dime. 

I don't know what we would trade.  We have 6 draft picks.  I am not down with trading 2021 picks (thanks Vannett).  Maybe I am in the minority, but there are some guys that I would put on him, or organize my defense so the guy I want (Minkah/Sutton) is on him.  Sure, it is not ideal but I don't know what option we have atm... 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I also think this year is going to be extremely difficult for rookies to get the snaps needed to be ready to contribute with a limited offseason. So while I agree there are gaps, we are far better suited with the growth of second and third year guys vs banking on second and third round picks. 

(Sorry, got them out of order)... While I agree in a vacuum, there is a role that we have and no one to address it... nickel linebacker.  Again, I think UG3 is gonna be OK, but I am not even sure he can replace Barron.  He was a 6th and only played 1/2 the season.  I think that you can take a kid from an elite CFB program and put them in a role to succeed.  Let's use the FFMD take of KVon Wallace from Clemson.  Athletic, SPARQ-Y safety.  Day 1, he can play dime as the 6th DB, and he can be used to cover TE, deep 3rd, man a slot, different concepts.  That is a limited role he could succeed in, while making Minkah and Edmunds more flexible.  UG3 cannot do that, with all of the offseason work.  Dangerfield and Allen cannot do that.  There is no one on the roster that can.  But, I think Wallace can, and we got him at 102.  Now, I also think that Winfield and Jones can as well.  Delpit can help in another way, same idea but in a different role.  We would never take Chinn, but he is a natural TE eraser. 

Bottom line, is I think a rookie WILL have to help us on defense.  Barring a trade or Barron coming back on a lesser deal, we literally have a 69% position that needs to be filled, and we don't have a viable option on the roster.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Running back is really the piece I’m strongly against. Other than that, I just really don’t trust rookies to be placed in positions immediately and I fear they are not going to get enough offseason snaps to allow them to earn it. I’m sure it’s just my own issues with value and an “expecting the worst” style of view of the draft though  

To put a bow on this, I think we are on the same side, TBH.  I do not want us to take a RB early, but I think we are destined to.  Again, I hope not, but I fear the worst.

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Snell, at least IMO, showed signs of being just a step to slow to react and it cost him some big plays. Those come with experience. 

I am a Benny Snell fan... I hope he takes over and is the man next year.  But, I don't think he prevents us from taking a RB at 49.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Also, I just like to argue and I’m exited that it draft week, so let’s keep going!!! 

My wife just asked me what i am smiling about... I told her it was draft week.  I told her there were some discussions going on... she rolled her eyes and walked back out.  I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR

• Like 3