2020 Draft Rumors and News

MWil23

5 minutes ago, DawgX said:

What round would you feel comfortable drafting Cleveland in? Like I've said before, he's a prospect I have never watched but I'd like to know more about him just because we've been linked to him.

We'd have to take him at 41 if he's there. His athleticism is off the charts and he's a tackle with upside. 

I haven't really watched him and get the vibe from others that they would be upset if we traded down and got him as the consolation prize later in the round.

24 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Concur. I think it's a different ballgame in terms of resources, because those get invested into serving the same purpose (among other things) as well.

If we trade back to 20 and get a 2&3 then we could trade for trent with those, that is the way I would want him. 

Sort of a weird question that I didnt realy know where to post, but I was just thinking why does OSU have such a hard time recruiting elite level RB prospects? They never seem to have a problem with DL/OL/CB/WR getting highly rated guys from all over the country but Ive noticed in the last 10 years they usually get beat out by other schools landing 5* level guys at the RB position despite having success with some (Hyde, Elliott, Dobbins) and playing at a constantly top 5 school that is known for putting up points.

I remember last recruiting cycle that they missed out on 2 5* guys because they chose to go to Florida State and another school I cant think of. How does OSUs offense miss out on a elite RB prospect to a school like Florida State and others like it? Why do top level RB prospects not flock to OSU like WRs/DBs do?

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Sort of a weird question that I didnt realy know where to post, but I was just thinking why does OSU have such a hard time recruiting elite level RB prospects? They never seem to have a problem with DL/OL/CB/WR getting highly rated guys from all over the country but Ive noticed in the last 10 years they usually get beat out by other schools landing 5* level guys at the RB position despite having success with some (Hyde, Elliott, Dobbins) and playing at a constantly top 5 school that is known for putting up points.

I remember last recruiting cycle that they missed out on 2 5* guys because they chose to go to Florida State and another school I cant think of. How does OSUs offense miss out on a elite RB prospect to a school like Florida State and others like it? Why do top level RB prospects not flock to OSU like WRs/DBs do?

There was a negative recruiting pitch that Urban Meyer wouldn’t use runningbacks. Unfortunately it still sticks even though he’s not even there anymore.

Plus a lot of these kids want to be THE guy. At OSU, it’s now about the QB and his success.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

There was a negative recruiting pitch that Urban Meyer wouldn’t use runningbacks. Unfortunately it still sticks even though he’s not even there anymore.

Plus a lot of these kids want to be THE guy. At OSU, it’s now about the QB and his success.

Thats weird because Elliott and Dobbins have both been absolute workhorses for the Buckeyes.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats weird because Elliott and Dobbins have both been absolute workhorses for the Buckeyes.

JK split carries in 18 with Weber almost every other series (not sure why, I hated that)

I think they have brought in some studs at RB though. I haven't gone through the list but they have had a 4 star RB the last 3 cycles (18, 19, 20). I'm not sure how many 5 star RBs there were in those classes. If I had to guess it was 3 or less each year. 

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

There arent a lot of 5* mid west RBs. Usually the top tier RBs. '20 class, the 3 5* RBs are from Florida, Texas, and Arizona. In '19, they all played in the south. In '18, Gill was a 4* and the 5* RB ahead of him was only ranked .002 better than him. In the '21 class we havea current 5*, it could change and he is from VA. Other 5* guys are more located in the south. Its all about location really.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JDD said:

JK split carries in 18 with Weber almost every other series (not sure why, I hated that)

I think they have brought in some studs at RB though. I haven't gone through the list but they have had a 4 star RB the last 3 cycles (18, 19, 20). I'm not sure how many 5 star RBs there were in those classes. If I had to guess it was 3 or less each year. 

They have, like I said Dobbins/Elliott were 4* guys. One from Texas and one from Missouri. Its still just odd that OSU can recruit 5* CBs from California and Texas and 5* Defenseive Ends from Florida but they cant land a 5* RB from anywhere on any sort of consistent basis. Besides the one they got in 2021, the Buckeyes have only had 1 5* RB recruit since 2000 and that was Rod Smith in 2010 who I believe got arrested. 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...