Jamal Adams Trade Thread

rdelaney89

Adams needs to just shut up. He will get paid but why even think about its when he still has his 4th year left and a 5th year option that can kick in. The Jets can hold him very cheap for the next 2 years. Revis started all this crap when guys have 2 years left and want a new contract. 

On 5/28/2020 at 10:03 AM, jetfuel34 said:

Adams needs to just shut up. He will get paid but why even think about its when he still has his 4th year left and a 5th year option that can kick in. The Jets can hold him very cheap for the next 2 years. Revis started all this crap when guys have 2 years left and want a new contract. 

Totally get guys wanting to get paid ASAP with the average career lifespan of an NFL player.  

With that said the players have to understand that the team holds the cards on these last two years and sitting out is a very bad option.  Throw this COVID 19 stuff on top of that and it is not wise business to extend a contract right now.  Heck, Dallas has yet to lock up their franchise QB as of yet.  Too many uncertainties for a GM to do anything they don't have to right now.

Jamal needs to understand this and be a good solider.  Come to camp on time, play ball and be a leader.  The contract will work itself out for him.  Problem is I don't know if he understands that all right now. 

Edited by JetsFan15

18 hours ago, JetsFan15 said:

Jamal needs to understand this and be a good solider.  Come to camp on time, play ball and be a leader.  The contract will work itself out for him.  Problem is I don't know if he understands that all right now. 

Unless he gets hurt. Even a smaller injury could tank his value. Why play and risk injury for less money when you've proven your worth more?

25 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Unless he gets hurt. Even a smaller injury could tank his value. Why play and risk injury for less money when you've proven your worth more?

Ya this doesnt sit well with me. In theory I get it. But he has 2 years left. He jumped the gun a year early.

Let's use this logic in a regular work force. "Most" people have jobs and want a promotion from that job. So would it be ok for you to not do your job at the risk of messing up, bc it could hurt you in trying to get a promotion? NO!!! You'd get fired for not doing your current job.

45 minutes ago, drew39k said:

The simple answer: He has zero leverage (Your argument is a year early)

If Jamal were to sit out, he won't get credit for an accrued season, meaning he won't be eligible for free agency any sooner. So.. On top of costing himself this seasons paycheck, he'll find himself in the exact same situation next season having just delayed the process and cost himself millions.

30 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

The simple answer: He has zero leverage (Your argument is a year early)

If Jamal were to sit out, he won't get credit for an accrued season, meaning he won't be eligible for free agency any sooner. So.. On top of costing himself this seasons paycheck, he'll find himself in the exact same situation next season having just delayed the process and cost himself millions.

He could sit out the first 9 weeks, then report and still accrue a year, reducing the chance of injury and the wear and tear.

Is this was a vet on a second contract I would completely agree that he needs to honor his end of the deal but players on rookie contracts have so little choice. The idea that after college a person cannot choose who or where they want to work. If they perform well they are vilified for wanting to be properly compensated for it.

Imagine coming out, being drafted to a team you grew up hating or a team that has a miserable coaching staff or a team that sucks and they run you into the ground before you have a chance to sign with a team that could put you in a position to actually succeed.

Nah. I side with the rookies on this one. Get your money as soon as you can because the league won't do a thing for you if you get hurt or if you struggle because your coach or team are bad. 

34 minutes ago, drew39k said:

He could sit out the first 9 weeks, then report and still accrue a year, reducing the chance of injury and the wear and tear.

Is this was a vet on a second contract I would completely agree that he needs to honor his end of the deal but players on rookie contracts have so little choice. The idea that after college a person cannot choose who or where they want to work. If they perform well they are vilified for wanting to be properly compensated for it.

Imagine coming out, being drafted to a team you grew up hating or a team that has a miserable coaching staff or a team that sucks and they run you into the ground before you have a chance to sign with a team that could put you in a position to actually succeed.

Nah. I side with the rookies on this one. Get your money as soon as you can because the league won't do a thing for you if you get hurt or if you struggle because your coach or team are bad. 

If he sits the first 9 weeks, he will still lose money because who is going to want to pay a malcontent

Most of us take a job when the opportunity arises.  We have little to no choice.  If he wanted to play for someone other than the Jets he should not have signed his contract.  Since he did, honor it.

The players via the union agreed to this CBA.  It was put in place to prevent rookies from cashing in while proven vets did not.  Again, if JA was so against the agreement, he should not have signed.

Honor your contract or sit out.  He has a choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xrade said:

If he sits the first 9 weeks, he will still lose money because who is going to want to pay a malcontent

Most of us take a job when the opportunity arises.  We have little to no choice.  If he wanted to play for someone other than the Jets he should not have signed his contract.  Since he did, honor it.

The players via the union agreed to this CBA.  It was put in place to prevent rookies from cashing in while proven vets did not.  Again, if JA was so against the agreement, he should not have signed.

College players have no say in the NFL CBA.  Jamal Adams and the other rookies get picked by a team. If they refuse to sign with a team they do not become free agents and have the ability to then sign with someone they want to sign with. 

What, exactly, do you think would have happened if Adams had refused to sign his rookie deal? What could he have done inside of the framework of the mandatory 4 year slotted deal system the nfl has to make sure he got paid fairly? 

Like I said. If this were a player on his second contract, where he actually had any say at all on the terms of his contract, I would agree. That simply isn't the case with rookies. In cases like this the player has far exceeded the contract that was forced upon them and has proven they are worth more than the deal they were forced to take.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

49ers and Kittle are apparently “far apart” too and he wants to be paid as a “transcendent” TE and ignore the TE market. I could see Jamal and his agent going this route as well.

Yeah I can see that.  

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Is that Adams' fault that Jets drafted him?     

Whether or not he will honor his contract with Jets remains to be seen but for now it is his right to talk or discuss or bytch about money.  There is nothing we can do to shut him up.  

6 minutes ago, drew39k said:

College players have no say in the NFL CBA.  Jamal Adams and the other rookies get picked by a team. If they refuse to sign with a team they do not become free agents and have the ability to then sign with someone they want to sign with. 

What, exactly, do you think would have happened if Adams had refused to sign his rookie deal? What could he have done inside of the framework of the mandatory 4 year slotted deal system the nfl has to make sure he got paid fairly? 

Like I said. If this were a player on his second contract, where he actually had any say at all on the terms of his contract, I would agree. That simply isn't the case with rookies. In cases like this the player has far exceeded the contract that was forced upon them and has proven they are worth more than the deal they were forced to take.

Rookies fall under a realm of team control to ensure parity - Fair or not, the league wouldn't be nearly as successful without these rules and that would be directly reflected in player compensation. You can't have it both ways - Parity is in large part why the NFL is such a money-maker. 

Believe me, I get it - More often than not I'll side with the player... But, some rules are put in place to benefit the player even if it doesn't appear that way. Jamal will have his chance to test the open waters, so should he choose, be he hasn't earned that right just yet. (I completely disagree with the franchise tag further restricting movement, but that's a different argument.)

He has played first 3 full season on rookie contract and that enables him to try to sell himself as one of best NFL players.   It is not our the fans decision to tell Adams to shut it and play through 2 contracts (rookie and 5th year option). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

Then don't sign.  Get a real job like the rest of us.  He knew what he was getting into. If he did not want to play for the Jets, he could have gotten a job in the major he graduated.  Point is, he signed a large contract to play four years with the Jets.  The player supported CBA allows the Jets to give him a fifth year team option.  If the Jets open that can of worms, then every rising Jets star will want to renegotiate and pout to the media.  Do we really want an NFL version of the NBA?

Look, I want Jamal on this team.  It has been a while since we could lay claim to a star player, but to ***** about a contract that is not even close to being fulfilled is immature and creates unnecessary dysfunction with the fan base, most of whom are struggling in these crappy times.  I have no problem with asking for more cash, but if the team or management says no, be a big boy and deal with it.  His multi million dollar payday will come soon enough.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xrade said:

Then don't sign.  Get a real job like the rest of us.  He knew what he was getting into. If he did not want to play for the Jets, he could have gotten a job in the major he graduated.  Point is, he signed a large contract to play four years with the Jets.  The player supported CBA allows the Jets to give him a fifth year team option.  If the Jets open that can of worms, then every rising Jets star will want to renegotiate and pout to the media.  Do we really want an NFL version of the NBA?

Look, I want Jamal on this team.  It has been a while since we could lay claim to a star player, but to ***** about a contract that is not even close to being fulfilled is immature and creates unnecessary dysfunction with the fan base, most of whom are struggling in these crappy times.  I have no problem with asking for more cash, but if the team or management says no, be a big boy and deal with it.  His multi million dollar payday will come soon enough.

Adams has leverage, and he's not wrong to use it to get paid more money. He doesn't have to deal with and doesn't have to get a "real job" like the rest of us because he can demand to get paid tens of millions of dollars to play a sport he dominates at. I don't like hold outs, but I can respect his side. Get your money while you can.