Jamal Adams Trade Thread

rdelaney89

On 6/2/2020 at 9:14 AM, drew39k said:

Unless he gets hurt. Even a smaller injury could tank his value. Why play and risk injury for less money when you've proven your worth more?

Injury is an inherent risk to his chosen profession.  Not playing decreases his value. 

Again, I get it and don't blame these guys.  But let's also remember Jamal is being paid $3.5 million this year and $9.8 million next year.  Not chump change.  I also believe that is all guaranteed for injury - someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong though.  

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 2:58 PM, NJerseypaint said:

Adams has leverage, and he's not wrong to use it to get paid more money. He doesn't have to deal with and doesn't have to get a "real job" like the rest of us because he can demand to get paid tens of millions of dollars to play a sport he dominates at. I don't like hold outs, but I can respect his side. Get your money while you can.

What leverage does Adams have?  Legitimately curious as I see no leverage on his end.  Holdout? Sit out?  As previously discussed is bad financially for him and IMO puts him at higher risk for injury if he comes back mid season or mid camp.    Interested to see your opinion on his leverage he has right now?

9 hours ago, JetsFan15 said:

Injury is an inherent risk to his chosen profession.  Not playing decreases his value. 

Again, I get it and don't blame these guys.  But let's also remember Jamal is being paid $3.5 million this year and $9.8 million next year.  Not chump change.  I also believe that is all guaranteed for injury - someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong though.  

Injury certainly is an inherent risk of his profession. Which is why he is trying to get a contract that is actually comparable to what he brings to the table talent wise. Even if the 2 years totaling 13 million is fully guaranteed, that is no where close to what he has proven himself to be worth.

Playing and getting injured will dramatically reduce his earning potential in future years. If he plays out this year and earns his full 3.5 million but breaks his leg in the last game of the season... poof, any large financial commitment he was hoping to get goes up in smoke. If he sits out, he would almost certainly get less than if he plays and balls out while staying completely healthy, but the amount he would "lose" would be a drop in the hat when compared to the amount he would lose if he got hurt before he got his extension.

It cannot be understated enough, that NFL Rookie contracts are swayed so far in owners favors that its a joke. The player has no real say at all in the terms of the deals. They are all slotted with fixed years and no competition from other teams. Forcing players to play for FAR less than they are worth, in a league that you openly admit has huge injury factors, is ridiculous. If a player is on their second contract, where they actually had any level of input at all, then I could agree that he should "honor" the deal, but the rookie contracts are such an unfair joke. The teams should be "Honoring" their players but adjusting pay accordingly if a player WAY out performs his deal.  

Rookie deals in every sport are in favor of the teams.

We cant pay Adams right now, maybe even next AND field the team that can compete while Sam is on his rookie deal.

Adams play year 4, year 5 and then when that impending cap spike hits cash out whether it be with us or someone else.

9 hours ago, drew39k said:

It cannot be understated enough, that NFL Rookie contracts are swayed so far in owners favors that its a joke. The player has no real say at all in the terms of the deals. They are all slotted with fixed years and no competition from other teams. Forcing players to play for FAR less than they are worth, in a league that you openly admit has huge injury factors, is ridiculous. If a player is on their second contract, where they actually had any level of input at all, then I could agree that he should "honor" the deal, but the rookie contracts are such an unfair joke. The teams should be "Honoring" their players but adjusting pay accordingly if a player WAY out performs his deal.  

Two words:  Sam Bradford.  His contract ($50 million guaranteed?) is what probably prompted the rookie pay scale.  Think of the vets that the Rams could not pay just to pay Bradford.  How did that work out?  Even the players union recognized this.  Most rookies DO NOT exceed their contract value.  Most rookies DO NOT whine about getting paid two years before the contract expires.  Better players than Jamal did not whine. I understand your point, but the vast minority of rookies DO NOT exceed their value or whine.  Jamal should just shut up and play this year (assuming there is one) and then negotiate his contract when it is time.  And lets face it, Jamal is not a game changing player because of his role.  Mahomes is a game changer, Watson is also.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, drew39k said:

Injury certainly is an inherent risk of his profession. Which is why he is trying to get a contract that is actually comparable to what he brings to the table talent wise. Even if the 2 years totaling 13 million is fully guaranteed, that is no where close to what he has proven himself to be worth.

Playing and getting injured will dramatically reduce his earning potential in future years. If he plays out this year and earns his full 3.5 million but breaks his leg in the last game of the season... poof, any large financial commitment he was hoping to get goes up in smoke. If he sits out, he would almost certainly get less than if he plays and balls out while staying completely healthy, but the amount he would "lose" would be a drop in the hat when compared to the amount he would lose if he got hurt before he got his extension.

I understand it sucks for productive young players, but that’s just the way it is in the NFL. The Bradford argument was already made.

Players like like Mahomes, Watson, Garrett, Watt etc threatening to hold out? They are all more impactful than Adams.

The problem here is Adams. Not the team or the league. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, xrade said:

Two words:  Sam Bradford.  His contract ($50 million guaranteed?) is what probably prompted the rookie pay scale.  Think of the vets that the Rams could not pay just to pay Bradford.  How did that work out?  Even the players union recognized this.  Most rookies DO NOT exceed their contract value.  Most rookies DO NOT whine about getting paid two years before the contract expires.  Better players than Jamal did not whine. I understand your point, but the vast minority of rookies DO NOT exceed their value or whine.  Jamal should just shut up and play this year (assuming there is one) and then negotiate his contract when it is time.  And lets face it, Jamal is not a game changing player because of his role.  Mahomes is a game changer, Watson is also.

Had me until the bolded.. Jamal's versatility or 'role' can single handily dictate what we're capable of doing on defense - His versatility alone changes the game immensely... To compare his impact to Mahomes & Watson is trivial. If that's the standard, we can save some time & just eliminate all non-QBs for the sake of argument. There are very few defensive players changing the game more than Jamal. 

44 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I understand it sucks for productive young players, but that’s just the way it is in the NFL. The Bradford argument was already made.

Players like like Mahomes, Watson, Garrett, Watt etc threatening to hold out? They are all more impactful than Adams.

The problem here is Adams. Not the team or the league. 

I don't remember Chiefs, Texans, Browns and Steelers gauged or listened any trade talk on those certain players.

QB and pass rusher will get big time money any time.   S? not really.

20 hours ago, JetsFan15 said:

What leverage does Adams have?  Legitimately curious as I see no leverage on his end.  Holdout? Sit out?  As previously discussed is bad financially for him and IMO puts him at higher risk for injury if he comes back mid season or mid camp.    Interested to see your opinion on his leverage he has right now?

He's a talented player in the NFL. Him holding out impacts our team's ability to win games.

His value gives him leverage, because if we don't want to pay him, someone will and he may holdout until the FO caves and trades him.

21 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I don't remember Chiefs, Texans, Browns and Steelers gauged or listened any trade talk on those certain players.

QB and pass rusher will get big time money any time.   S? not really.

Because smart teams know you don’t trade good pass rushers or QBs.

Adams is still a SS at the end of the day, regardless of any argument one wants to make about his “impact” on the field. JD knows it 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Does not mean it did not happen.  I am sure we do not hear a lot of trade talk from teams.  It seems JA had an issue with even hearing about it leading to him complaining to the media.  Immature.

I can agree with 1 position and 1 position only on getting paid before your rookie contract is over...

and thats RB.

Every other position has no legs to stand on.

Your highest paid safeties are on the "older" side. So there's 0 reason Adams needs his money now bc his window is small to get paid.