Jamal Adams Trade Thread

rdelaney89

13 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

A locker room driven by the dollar is an awful locker room. Proof and point... does NE pay Big for players?!?!

This is generally a misconception. NE is adamant about paying players for what they will do as opposed to what they have done, but that isn't to say they're reluctant to pay big: Contracts signed since 2010: 

2010: Vince Wilfork (Highest paid NT), Tom Brady (Highest paid player)
2011: Logan Mankins (Highest paid G), Jerod Mayo (Second highest paid LB)
2012: Rob Gronkowski (Highest paid TE in NFL history) 
2014: Darrelle Revis (Largest APY contract for a CB in NFL history)
2015: Devin McCourty (Most guaranteed $$ for a S in NFL history)

McCourty just signed an extension paying him $14M this season, above market value for a 33yr old safety. Gilmore is making $18M this season (Highest paid CB) and will make $19M next year, albeit the overall contract was a bargain. Belichick has slowed down the spending in recent years, but that's easy to do when you've created the best 'system' in sports, we certainly don't have that luxury.

This is all kind of irrelevant because EVERY locker room is fueled by the dollar - including NE. This isn't college sports, guys aren't simply playing for 'the love of the game'. Would you rather Bell have said what we all know to be true..How would that have gone over? Again, it's all political. Players support players. So long as they're all on the same page (Unified), none of this Jamal s*** will matter come Sundays.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Best answer is to always say I’ll never speak on someone else’s money or contract. 

Generally I'd agree, but I have no issue with Bell (Of all people) throwing support behind Adams. He wasn't critical of management in any way and given his history, staying 'neutral' would've been interpreted as disingenuous.  

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Generally I'd agree, but I have no issue with Bell (Of all people) throwing support behind Adams. He wasn't critical of management in any way and given his history, staying 'neutral' would've been interpreted as disingenuous.  

Ehh, just gives Adams more room to talk. Bell played out his rookie deal and a tag with no complaints and then wanted long term money. Adams cant even do that much. Everyone agrees Adams should get paid when the time comes. Key being when the time comes.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Ehh, just gives Adams more room to talk. Bell played out his rookie deal and a tag with no complaints and then wanted long term money. Adams cant even do that much. Everyone agrees Adams should get paid when the time comes. Key being when the time comes.

I don't see it that way - Can't imagine a scenario where Adams or his reps are using Bell's endorsement to support his 'talk', for the exact reasons you mention. In the event that Jamal is playing for the Jets this season, it's important that the locker room is behind him (Regardless of how we as fans feel). 

If Bell had been critical of management, my opinion would be entirely different.... Since he wasn't, the message he's sending, that of a unified locker room, is more important than the actually words. So long as the situation isn't egregious, players are going to have each others backs, as they should.  

..Point being: I would've been fine if Bell had taken the route of not speaking on Jamal's money. I also get why he threw support behind him & certainly don't view his comments as detrimental in anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

This is generally a misconception. NE is adamant about paying players for what they will do as opposed to what they have done, but that isn't to say they're reluctant to pay big: Contracts signed since 2010: 

2010: Vince Wilfork (Highest paid NT), Tom Brady (Highest paid player)
2011: Logan Mankins (Highest paid G), Jerod Mayo (Second highest paid LB)
2012: Rob Gronkowski (Highest paid TE in NFL history) 
2014: Darrelle Revis (Largest APY contract for a CB in NFL history)
2015: Devin McCourty (Most guaranteed $$ for a S in NFL history)

McCourty just signed an extension paying him $14M this season, above market value for a 33yr old safety. Gilmore is making $18M this season (Highest paid CB) and will make $19M next year, albeit the overall contract was a bargain. Belichick has slowed down the spending in recent years, but that's easy to do when you've created the best 'system' in sports, we certainly don't have that luxury.

This is all kind of irrelevant because EVERY locker room is fueled by the dollar - including NE. This isn't college sports, guys aren't simply playing for 'the love of the game'. Would you rather Bell have said what we all know to be true..How would that have gone over? Again, it's all political. Players support players. So long as they're all on the same page (Unified), none of this Jamal s*** will matter come Sundays.

Obviously every person wants their money (not just the nfl). But he has a contract. You can’t create a culture where the second a guy outplays his contract they threaten the leave, sit out, etc. That’s why it’s called a CONTRACT!!! He will get his, once it’s time. Now isn’t the time. He has a contract to honor 1st. 

32 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I don't see it that way - Can't imagine a scenario where Adams or his reps are using Bell's endorsement to support his 'talk', for the exact reasons you mention. In the event that Jamal is playing for the Jets this season, it's important that the locker room is behind him (Regardless of how we as fans feel). 

If Bell had been critical of management, my opinion would be entirely different.... Since he wasn't, the message he's sending, that of a unified locker room, is more important than the actually words. So long as the situation isn't egregious, players are going to have each others backs, as they should.  

..Point being: I would've been fine if Bell had taken the route of not speaking on Jamal's money. I also get why he threw support behind him & certainly don't view his comments as detrimental in anyway.

An opinion in any direction is unnecessary. Adams uses every scenario where a player says something about getting paid and goes on a social media rant. Anything negative against him he uses as well to express his emotion. Did you see his "only a box Safety" tweet the other day? 

Chris Jones wants big money from the Chiefs and not a single teammate has said a word nor has he. That's how it should be done. 

17 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

A locker room driven by the dollar is an awful locker room. Proof and point... does NE pay Big for players?!?!

Well it is because NE  best players keep the contract stuff separate ... so it is chicken / egg argument.   Best to not answer about other players contract but I would not expect any player to say another player is asking for too much money.  

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Obviously every person wants their money (not just the nfl). But he has a contract. You can’t create a culture where the second a guy outplays his contract they threaten the leave, sit out, etc. That’s why it’s called a CONTRACT!!! He will get his, once it’s time. Now isn’t the time. He has a contract to honor 1st. 

I've never endorsed Jamal's handling of this situation, so I agree with everything said here. 

My point was that I think you're looking to deep into what Bell said, whereas I just hear a guy supporting one of his teammates. Avery Williamson practically said the same thing SNY. Players are going to side with one another. When they stop supporting one another is when we should be worried.

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

An opinion in any direction is unnecessary. Adams uses every scenario where a player says something about getting paid and goes on a social media rant. Anything negative against him he uses as well to express his emotion. Did you see his "only a box Safety" tweet the other day? 

Chris Jones wants big money from the Chiefs and not a single teammate has said a word nor has he. That's how it should be done. 

We're kinda getting away from the point (I'm not here to defend Jamal). When/if Chris Jones teammates are asked about his situation, I'm sure they'll respond in a similar manner to Bell.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

That CONTRACT made Adams eligible for talking about new contract and JD didn't bother to engage in some conversation with Adams at all. Since you obsess with "HONOR IT" JD failed that part big time.  Thus, you have a one track mind.

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

We're kinda getting away from the point (I'm not here to defend Jamal). When/if Chris Jones teammates are asked about his situation, I'm sure they'll respond in a similar manner to Bell.

Basically, it is a player vs a front office.  As long as he is still a NFL player we simply can't expect him to side with front office.  Naturally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NJC33 said:

I've never endorsed Jamal's handling of this situation, so I agree with everything said here. 

My point was that I think you're looking to deep into what Bell said, whereas I just hear a guy supporting one of his teammates. Avery Williamson practically said the same thing SNY. Players are going to side with one another. When they stop supporting one another is when we should be worried.

I agree with that. But it’s better to keep their mouths shut. The more mouths running. The worst the culture. And we have too many mouths right now

15 hours ago, JetsandI said:

That CONTRACT made Adams eligible for talking about new contract and JD didn't bother to engage in some conversation with Adams at all. Since you obsess with "HONOR IT" JD failed that part big time.  Thus, you have a one track mind.

How do you know if JD talked to JA and his rep or not?  JD HAS NOT FAILED.  You are only hearing one side of an argument then making assumptions.  Really?