Jamal Adams Trade Thread

rdelaney89

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Disagree. Adams is not a pass rusher. He’s a do it all safety. Which yes is great and he’s great. But edge is a premium position on a defense. An in the box safety isn’t (hence why we should’ve never drafted him so high). So IMO your comparison is off. Adams will never alter a game pass rushing the way Garrett does.

Its about his timing that’s the issue. Can other teams be stupid and pay players way too early? Sure. That doesn’t make them right. Adams will get his money. At the right time. Now IMO is not that time.

Tied the team high in QB hits.. By definition the passer was rushed.

Was it stupid of Cleveland sure. It still give Adam's a platform that he didn't have before and there should be a perceived shift in leverage by the FO.

24 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I hate this dialogue tbh

Adams is more than a S, yes we all can agree on that. But let's use other positions that aren't premium positions as relevance. We can even use our own LeVeon Bell. He's more than a RB. He's a great WR as well. Right? So should he get more "WR" money bc of that? No he's a RB. He's the 3rd highest paid RB in the NFL. The 3rd highest paid WR makes 6 mill annually than him. This is just an example. Bc Garrett is set to be the highest paid Edge rusher (I don't think he's the best pass rusher in the league, but that's besides the point). But that deal puts him making just over what Mack is getting. The 4 highest paid S right now are getting between 14-14.6mill per right now. And all are young (between the ages 26-28). Adams isn't so leaps and bounds better than these guys, that he should just destroy what they got. Garrett is great and is barely going to make more than Mack. And as I mentioned  Edge is a premium position in today's NFL. Adams role isn't. We don't have several big players to pay coming up so thats why its ok to eventually pay him. But why would we now? Bc he's a cry baby? No. He is under control for 2 more years and possibly more. He threw out the number 20 mill. Not sure if it was true or media. But whatever. No player should get over nearly 50% more than the highest paid players at their position. 15 mill is what he should get and that shouldn't even be for at least another year. Period. What other teams are doing should not make JD budge. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Saying that Jamal Adams can't change a game like Myles Garrett can because they play two different positions is so lazy, bro

I'm still beyond disappointed with Jamal but Joe Douglas' potentials excuses are out the door right now

There’s no excuses tho. Even without COVID it never made sense to pay him right now. His time hasn’t come yet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sapo28 said:

Any argument about not extending Adam's is out the window with the Garrett signing.

Garrett was extended at a position not named QB or RB, Adam's is our pass rush, that 25m figure makes 18-20m more palatable, and IMO Jamal is a better player than Garrett.  

Still dont care for how Adam's has handled all of this but Garrett getting paid should open the door for him..  

No. Garrett is better than Adams and plays the 2nd most important position in the game and he shouldn’t have been paid either. Let’s not follow the Browns blueprint. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

No. Garrett is better than Adams and plays the 2nd most important position in the game and he shouldn’t have been paid either. Let’s not follow the Browns blueprint. 

Garrett can't sack qb at least 5 times from safety position.  Adams can sack qb at least 5 times from OLB.  Hence Adams is better.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Bianconero said:

Saying that Jamal Adams can't change a game like Myles Garrett can because they play two different positions is so lazy, bro

I'm still beyond disappointed with Jamal but Joe Douglas' potentials excuses are out the door right now

We don't know if JD talked to JA's reps or not for sure.  Adams is upset he is not getting extended now.  Could that be the following scenario:  Intermediately after the season and Pre draft/covid ... JD to JA "we are going to address/talk about your contract and future with the Jets after the draft".  After the draft and middle of covid - Joe to JA "Want you a Jet for life but we can't commit to  and extension this off season, let's revisit after the season." ..... JA does not like and says they lied. Quite possible but no specifics have been said by JA or JD... not going to get them from JD either way. 

Honestly if the market for a S is 15 mil pay him 4 -5 20 million ... but keep the next 2 years so it’s be a 6-7 year total contract ... would average him out to 15.6-15.9 a year not a huge bump and market will have caught up by the time its his time.

jamal means much more for our defense than most give him credit for ... and probably more than he means for other teams as well.

if these other teams can pay their players we can pay our best one.

i agree his time hasn’t come, but that’s why it should be an extension at the end of the already 2 existing years 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Adams is more than a S, yes we all can agree on that. But let's use other positions that aren't premium positions as relevance. We can even use our own LeVeon Bell. He's more than a RB. He's a great WR as well. Right? So should he get more "WR" money bc of that? No he's a RB. He's the 3rd highest paid RB in the NFL. The 3rd highest paid WR makes 6 mill annually than him. This is just an example. Bc Garrett is set to be the highest paid Edge rusher (I don't think he's the best pass rusher in the league, but that's besides the point). But that deal puts him making just over what Mack is getting. The 4 highest paid S right now are getting between 14-14.6mill per right now. And all are young (between the ages 26-28). Adams isn't so leaps and bounds better than these guys, that he should just destroy what they got. Garrett is great and is barely going to make more than Mack. And as I mentioned  Edge is a premium position in today's NFL. Adams role isn't. We don't have several big players to pay coming up so thats why its ok to eventually pay him. But why would we now? Bc he's a cry baby? No. He is under control for 2 more years and possibly more. He threw out the number 20 mill. Not sure if it was true or media. But whatever. No player should get over nearly 50% more than the highest paid players at their position. 15 mill is what he should get and that shouldn't even be for at least another year. Period. What other teams are doing should not make JD budge. 

A lot here I disagree with, but let's focus on the bolded because it's a misrepresentation of how the cap works. $15M would equate to a lesser value than what Eddie Jackson signed for, accounting for inflation...I.e Jamal is clearly worth more than $15M.

I'll continue to use Bobby Wagers contract for comparison sake, because I believe it's a similar situation - transcendent player vs. positional value. Using his contract as a precedent + the logic previously described: $18M-$20M is far more reasonable.

..EDIT: FWIW: If you don't think Jamal is worth $18M that's fine (No reason to argue), but it's a far more objective way to look at his market value as opposed to just slotting him slightly ahead of a lesser player who signed a year ago. 

Edited by NJC33
  • Like 1