Bob Quinn: "We Think Vaitai Can Play Guard at a High Level."

TL-TwoWinsAway

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/04/lions-bob-quinn-sure-sounds-open-to-halapoulivaati-vaitai-at-guard-despite-paying-for-tackle.html

Interesting read. Quinn touches on something that we've mentioned here: the possibility that Vaitai could have been signed to play OG. Considering his run-blocking ability, it would make a lot of sense, and means that we essentially signed Vaitai to replace Glasgow (for less per year and a team-friendly contract). It also means that we can enter the draft looking for an early OT, then a mid-round OG, essentially solidifying the unit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/04/lions-bob-quinn-sure-sounds-open-to-halapoulivaati-vaitai-at-guard-despite-paying-for-tackle.html

Interesting read. Quinn touches on something that we've mentioned here: the possibility that Vaitai could have been signed to play OG. Considering his run-blocking ability, it would make a lot of sense, and means that we essentially signed Vaitai to replace Glasgow (for less per year and a team-friendly contract). It also means that we can enter the draft looking for an early OT, then a mid-round OG, essentially solidifying the unit.

It just means that we have options and flexibility which is exactly what we need/want. We still are likely going to add an OT with Decker's contact being uncertain and how terrible Vaitai was at LT. 

32 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It just means that we have options and flexibility which is exactly what we need/want. We still are likely going to add an OT with Decker's contact being uncertain and how terrible Vaitai was at LT. 

The Lions just let go of a OL with proven flexibility in Glasgow without any reported attempt to resign him. 

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

The Lions just let go of a OL with proven flexibility in Glasgow without any reported attempt to resign him. 

Unless Vaitai was signed to likely play at RG, with the versatility to play RT. If Vaitai was penciled in at OG, they paid him $2M less per year, and $6M less guaranteed, than DEN gave Glasgow.

• Like 1

Good to hear they don’t just have him penciled in as the starter at RT.  I watched his week 17 game against the Giants on YouTube the other day. One game but was not impressed. He’s big and awkward. Doesn’t really blow people off the ball like you mite expect but he does use his large frame and angles the create lanes well.   We’ll see, contracts not as bad as originally thought with no guarantee after 2021. 

He doesn’t look like a guard to me but it could help mitigate his biggest weakness.  I’ve felt all along that chances of the Lions going offense in rd1 are way higher than anyone seems to think.  The general narrative seems as if it’s not even a possibility .  As much as we love some of these defensive prospects the immediate impact of solidifying the offensive line is probably the safest bet to a + .500 season this year.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Unless Vaitai was signed to likely play at RG, with the versatility to play RT. If Vaitai was penciled in at OG, they paid him $2M less per year, and $6M less guaranteed, than DEN gave Glasgow.

Based on Glasgow's statements about wanting to stay in Detroit, I think there's a good chance he signs for less than he got on the open market if they had made the effort prior to start of FA. Even with his contract, if flexibility is what the Lions want/need, the extra money for a proven flexible player is worth it IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Based on Glasgow's statements about wanting to stay in Detroit, I think there's a good chance he signs for less than he got on the open market if they had made the effort prior to start of FA. Even with his contract, if flexibility is what the Lions want/need, the extra money for a proven flexible player is worth it IMO.

Yeah, I don't disagree. I'm not sure if he would've signed for significantly less but it's possible.

I do think that most teams value OT over OG, and that they view Vaitai as someone that can play both RT and RG. They ended up paying that player less per year (and guaranteed) than a player that doesn't play OT. In that regard, I think they had versatility in mind, and made a seemingly wise financial decision. If Vaitai struggles, it won't look all that wise.

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

More logical than RT to me, to put him in at RG and look for a RT or let Crosby start

Decker-Dahl-Ragnow-Vaitai-Crosby.

Idk, hard to tell if it's better than last years line. Basically replaced the right side. 

With the dominant OTs in this class, I think we have tons of options on the table. If we were to move down and miss out on Okudah, we could grab Wirfs/Thomas/Wills, shift Vaitai to RG and start the rookie at RT. There are a bunch of quality OGs in this mid-rounds of this draft as well.

18 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

To be fair, Glasgow earned that much, Vaitai hasn’t especially at OG.  It’s all speculation still so I think the contract is stupid and an overpay.  But I would prefer him at OG than RT based on his numbers. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

To be fair, Glasgow earned that much, Vaitai hasn’t especially at OG.  It’s all speculation still so I think the contract is stupid and an overpay.  But I would prefer him at OG than RT based on his numbers. 

Yeah, it's hard to argue with what has happened in the past. I do think there's more to it (his lack of playing time largely a result of All Pro players ahead of him, his OT/OG versatility and his strength in the running game being some of those), but there's definitely a risk with Vaitai.