Annual "fun" drafts

kurgan

For the last couple of years, I have been doing some 'fun" mock drafts... but I added a new category this year.  First, the ones I normally do:

• Mike Ditka special (All In Trades) Offense
  • Mike Ditka special (All In Trades) Defense
  • All Offensive Draft
  • All Defensive Draft

This year, I am going to add "experts make the picks" Mock Draft, where 7 'experts' make our picks at each spot.  The experts are: TDN, Gil Brandt, CBS Sports, PFF, CFN, Drafttek, Draft Site.

Lets have some fun.  Vote for your fave, or start a convo!!!!

First, my normal ones:

Also, I try to NOT take the same guys, so maybe some people can learn more about prospects.  I will also add some filler text in about each person.

The Ditka Drafts are easy.  If we trade all of our picks (49, 102, 124, 135, 198, 232) we can get to 1.31 (SF).  Sooooo,

Draft #1... Pittsburgh trades the whole draft to SF for 1.31 and gets:  De'Andre Swift, RB UGA-- We get our RB of the current and future with Swift.  He becomes the committee back with Connors, and takes over by midseason.  We have to sign FA to do the depth stuff, but Swift makes our offense click.

Draft #2... Pittsburgh trades the whole draft to SF for 1.31 and takes: Patrick Queen, ILB LSU--This was a lot tougher, as our defense is stacked.  Baun was here, but would not play much.  Diggs and Terrell were good CB, but they would not beat out Haden/Nelson.  So, we get Bush a running mate.  We would have to figure out who would be the more Barron role in Nickel, but base would be set... sorry VWill.

Draft #3 (all Offense):

• 2.49: JK Dobbins, RB OSU-- we get our bellcow back here that takes the load off of Connor for now and going forward
  • 3.102: Quartney Davis, WR Texas A+M-- shifty slot WR who can do some of the same things as DJ and JJSS, as he is a a mix between the two, IMO.  He is a good route runner and can play a role in our offense as at least better than Switzer.
  • 4.124: Ben Bredson, OG Michigan-- Michigan's power RG that is a technition and position versitile... can learn behind DDC and be in the mix in 2021.
  • 4.135: Hakim Adenji, OT Kansas-- @jebrick, this one is for you.  Reshirt tackle candidate, at worst can slide inside.  Better for a zone blocking system, Adeniji can work to take reps in 2021, and really soldify our line.
  • 6.198--Dalton Keene, TE VTech-- Nice prospect that can do lots of things well.  Good in a lot of areas, but not elite.  Reminds me of Foster Moreau from last year.
  • 7.232--Jake Luton, QB Oregon State:  Sorry, had to do it.  Is the closest comp to Ben I could find.  Big dude with a big arm.

Draft #4 (all Defense):

• 2.49: Jeremy Chinn, Star SIU-- More of a Will 4-3 backer, for us he would be a STAR... a role we don't currently have, but he is a perfect fit for.  He would be an upgrade on Hilton in the nickel role, and can play more against the run as well.  A movable chess piece matchup guy who could grow into the Barron role in time.
  • 3.102: Troy Dye, MLB Oregon-- More mobile than Dirty Red, not as flexible as Bush, not as game ready as VWill.  Most likely a long term replacement for VWill (sorry again) but with a bit more versitility.
  • 4.124: Anfernee Jennings, Edge Alabama-- Bringing back discussions from FFMD, you have 3 guys here in Jennings, Highsmith and Taylor.  Each are different but the same in that this is the range for them.  Each has issues and each has strengths.  For me, its all about Chickillo's snaps.  To me, Tuzar and Ola are unproven and projects.  I want to add a guy like Chickillo in that he is what he is already.  He is a plug and play guy right away.  He will never be a monster, but he will be an effective rotational OLB.
  • 4.135: Jordan Elliott, NG Missouri-- Great value here even if not my favorite player, Elliot is a penetrating nose in the mold of Hargraves.  Not the old school 3-4 nose we all know and love, but a guy that is a gap slipper with some pass rush juice.  High motor and decent hands.
  • 6.198: JR Reed, FS UGA-- NOT a super athlete, just a rangy and heady football player that can cover the backend.  Will get exposed vs great athletes, but commands a presence and is great in a leadership role.  In this scenario, he would be training as a depth safety man, purely projection.
  • 7.232: AJ Green, CB Oklahoma State-- needed a corner here, and saw we visited with him.  Slot corner projection.

Now we will move on to the expert portion of this exercise.  So basically, I pulled up 7 "final" prospect rankings and whoever they have at that spot, I give them to us.

Draft #5 (The Draft Network):

• 2.49: Tee Higgins, WR Clemson (Hmmm, not seen him mocked to us enough... there are some connections here)
  • 3.102: Ezra Cleveland, OT Boise State (God, I wish... no way this really happens)
  • 4.124: Geno Stone, S Iowa (Another one not mocked to us often... SS/nickle backer type)
  • 4.135: Josiah Deguara, TE Cincinatti (Move TE/H back type...)
  • 6.198: Francis Bernard, LB Utah (Early down MLB type)
  • 7.232: Sewo Olowilua, RB TCU (One of the only two backs to hit all the marks for draftable RB for us, according to SD.)

Draft #6 (Gil Brandt):

• 2.49: Denzel Mims, WR Baylor (This would be a run to the podium pick)
  • 3.102: Jake Luton, QB Oregon State (Wut?)
  • 4.124: Bryce Hall, CB UVA (Interesting kid, FS convert)
  • 4.135: KJ Hill, WR Ohio State (Speed kills)
  • 6.198:
  • 7.232: 

Draft #7 (CBS Sports):

• 2.49:  Bryce Hall, CB UVA (hmmm)
  • 3.102: Netane Muti, OG Fresno State (IR list full time... great prospect, but)
  • 4.124: Gabriel Davis, WR UCF (Big jump ball WR)
  • 4.135:  Josiah Scott, CB Michigan State (nasty little slot corner)
  • 6.198: Derek Tuszka, Edge ND State (Bully in FCS, technical edge)
  • 7.232: DJ Wonnum, Edge South Carolina (High motor, versititle rusher)

Draft #8 (PFF)

• 2.49: Bryce Hall, CB UVA (Ok... this is getting annoying)
  • 3.102: Malik Harrison, LB Ohio State (This would be amazing value... early down plugger)
  • 4.124: Devin Duvernay, WR Texas (smaller speed guy, something we don't have)
  • 4.135: Davion Taylor, MLB Colorado (VERY interesting dude... played 1 game in HS... At CB... raw and athletic)
  • 6.198: Austin Mack, WR Ohio State (Possession WR/Blocker)
  • 7.232: Kamal Martin, LB Minnesota (Early down thumper)

Draft #9 (CFN)

• 2.49: Jordan Love, QB Utah State (yuck)
  • 3.102: Lamar Jackson, CB Nebraska (OK prospect...)
  • 4.124: Adam Trautman, TE Dayton (OK, I could dig this... getting better)
  • 4.135: Keith Ismael, IOL San Diego State (OK zone blocking guy, a little small to me)
  • 6.198: Trishton Jackson, WR Syracuse (Interesting prospect as finesse reciever)
  • 7.232:  Daniel Bituli, LB Tennessee (Another early down thumper, bit injury prone)

Draft #10 (Drafttek)

• 2.49: Terrell Lewis, Edge Alabama (No news as of late... good, productive edge that would be great value)
  • 3.102: Antonio Gandy-Golden (Now, here is a WR I LIKE... Ben would love this dude)
  • 4.124: Davion Taylor, LB Colorado
  • 4.135: Markus Bailey, LB Purdue (a bit redundant with Taylor, another similar prospect)
  • 6.198: Jet Anderson, RB TCU (decent scat back type runner)
  • 7.232: Alohi Gillman, S Notre Dame (What?  This late... crazy... helluva player though)

Draft #11 (Draft Site)

• 2.49:  De'Andre Swift, RB UGA (Wut?)
  • 3.102: Lynn Bowden, WR Kentucky (Ok... another dude I love)
  • 4.124: Nick Coe, 5 tech Auburn (Love his motor and effort)
  • 4.135: AJ Dillion, RB BC (Hammer runner who punishes smaller dudes)
  • 6.198: Myles Dorn, FS North Carolina (Sneaky good FS type)
  • 7.232: 

OK... thats several hours I won't ever get back!!!

Tell me what you think!!!

My final mock draft will be coming Monday or Tuesday!!!!

23 hours ago, jebrick said:

Very cool.

A.J. Green, who i really liked in college, will be a FS in the NFL.  Not enough straight line speed but he can really cover

Not a fan of Higgins.  Huge catch radius.  Got shut down in the CFP by press coverage. 

Interesting read on Green... I haven't seen much about him and I know we had a virtual visit with us.

TDN has him as a technical mess who is physical but not a sure tackler.  He will take some time developing, so why not as a long term conversion to FS??  Sounds good to me.  Gotta be better than Dangerfield/Allen right?

Higgins is so polarizing.  Some people love him, others not so much.  I have not seen him make it to us, but if he does, I am not sold either.  He seems to be a 'one trick pony' type of player who can't separate but doesn't have to since he has a huge catch radius and is huge.  IDK, we kinda have that with jWash, but Ben does like those types of dudes.  I would almost rather wait and take AGG, Pittman or T. Johnson from Minn if we want a WR like that.

8 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I worry less about separation and more about Higgins not being able to get off the line when jammed.

You can scheme that a little bit... (slot, off the line, motion) but it is an issue.  Also not as physical in the run game as I would like.