Bears to release Trey Burton

beardown3231

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm not so sure I agree with some that this means we are going TE early...Burton simply couldn't be relied upon...will be interesting to see how they stack up Harris vs. the TEs in this draft.

I do not think it impacts the draft much at all.

They clearly were not relying on him when they signed Graham who is very similar.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm not so sure I agree with some that this means we are going TE early...Burton simply couldn't be relied upon...will be interesting to see how they stack up Harris vs. the TEs in this draft.

It’s still not a top 3 need to me after the Graham and Harris adds - it’s a need for 2021. To me that means a back half of the draft upside pick. But, if Burton was gonna be playing an actual meaningful role in 2020 it was almost off the table for me. 

38 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I know projecting injuries is tough.

But when you pay 22 million to a part time player and then he breaks down playing full time reps you cannot be fully shocked.

The way in which he broke down was completely bizarre, though. Once it freaked him out too much to play against his old team in the playoffs, he was never the same again. I'd be legitimately shocked if there were purely physical breakdown reasons for his lack of availability last season. 

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm not a fan of a majority of the TEs especially where we are picking in the 2nd round. I think this move was just one they wanted to get out of the way. I think designating him a post june cut saves us roughly 2 million. 

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

I'm assuming Shaheen won't last through the final cuts either but it's surprising that he hasn't been cut already.

You’d have to think the only reason he hasn’t been yet is because they don’t have to yet. The timing of the Burton move is pretty perplexing if we plan to take a TE high. It would seem to telegraph that as our intention, and Pace very seldomly does that especially at the 11th hour. If anything the cut coming now makes me think we will not be drafting one high. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

You’d have to think the only reason he hasn’t been yet is because they don’t have to yet. The timing of the Burton move is pretty perplexing if we plan to take a TE high. It would seem to telegraph that as our intention, and Pace very seldomly does that especially at the 11th hour. If anything the cut coming now makes me think we will not be drafting one high. 

Agree with your thoughts on draft telegraph. This feels like an impending nondraft move is to soon follow. Howard makes a TON of sense for both sides !

Give Brady and Arians a top 50 pick to replace a disconnected (from Arians) pass catcher for one that is more suitable

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think they had to wait till he passed a physical to release him.

My guess is that they needed some medical hurdles cleared.

1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

Agree with your thoughts on draft telegraph. This feels like an impending nondraft move is to soon follow. Howard makes a TON of sense for both sides !

Give Brady and Arians a top 50 pick to replace a disconnected (from Arians) pass catcher for one that is more suitable

You can’t trade 50 for Howard. His production doesn’t warrant it. You would be trading for draft rating 3 years after the draft.

I would give them 50 if 75 came back with it.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You can’t trade 50 for Howard. His production doesn’t warrant it. You would be trading for draft rating 3 years after the draft.

I would give them 50 if 75 came back with it.

I'd glady give TB #50 for Howard ! esp if we can sign him longterm to a decent cap#

Which prospect around 50, at any position, could come in a help immediately  more than Howard ??

34 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Which prospect around 50, at any position, could come in a help immediately  more than Howard ??

Honestly, a lot of them. Several OL, DBs and WR just among our need positions.

What has Howard showed you in the NFL for you to think he’s worth 50 straight up? And further, if he is worth #50 straight up, why in the name of Zeus’ butthole would they be pushing to trade him? I’m as high on Howard as almost anyone but even I recognize the full body of work is underwhelming and carries legitimate risk.

I’m with Windy here - I’d give 50 for him if 76 came back too. By most trade value charts that values Howard as around a mid-3rd rounder. I think that’s more reflective of his value. 

• Like 3