Bears to release Trey Burton

beardown3231

51 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

I'd glady give TB #50 for Howard ! esp if we can sign him longterm to a decent cap#

Which prospect around 50, at any position, could come in a help immediately  more than Howard ??

That's not the point. Howard has done nothing to show he's worth a "longterm" deal. He's also done nothing to show he's better than pick #50, unless you're taking into account what he did at Alabama in 2016. He's never had more than 34 catches in a year or 570 yards in a year. I don't love any of these TE's in this draft but I'm also confident that Kmet, Bryant and even Trautman can surpass Howard's averages in year one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Honestly, a lot of them. Several OL, DBs and WR just among our need positions.

What has Howard showed you in the NFL for you to think he’s worth 50 straight up? And further, if he is worth #50 straight up, why in the name of Zeus’ butthole would they be pushing to trade him? I’m as high on Howard as almost anyone but even I recognize the full body of work is underwhelming and carries legitimate risk.

I’m with Windy here - I’d give 50 for him if 76 came back too. By most trade value charts that values Howard as around a mid-3rd rounder. I think that’s more reflective of his value. 

Honestly I appreciate this forum. We don’t have to agree and aren’t always right , but huge difference between reasoning here and twitter. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

What has Howard showed you in the NFL for you to think he’s worth 50 straight up? And further, if he is worth #50 straight up, why in the name of Zeus’ butthole would they be pushing to trade him? I’m as high on Howard as almost anyone but even I recognize the full body of work is underwhelming and carries legitimate risk.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

giphy.gif

It was the best line I've read on here in a minute. We have Steve Roger's for Americas a**, they have Zeus for Olymplus' Backdoor. 

I am surprised. I thought they were fine by letting money sit idly on the sidelines. After all Tru is still apparently the unquestioned starter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Honestly, a lot of them. Several OL, DBs and WR just among our need positions.

I’m with Windy here - I’d give 50 for him if 76 came back too. By most trade value charts that values Howard as around a mid-3rd rounder. I think that’s more reflective of his value. 

I would go as high as #50 simply bc we do not have a 3rd to offer. TB wants a 2nd but would likely settle for a 3rd that we don't have.

This would not deter me. OJ would be the #1 TE in this draft easily ! He is now a vet not a greenhorn rook and has shown me enough while playing under toxic circumstances, that we need to get him here NOW 

Besides, what NFL 'body of work' do any any draft prospects have ? 0

Howards floor is an uber athletic starter. His ceiling is still very much wide open !

Its good too for Tampa, Brady and Arians have a hand-picked  top 50 pick to make its offense more suited to Brady

2 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

I would go as high as #50 simply bc we do not have a 3rd to offer. TB wants a 2nd but would likely settle for a 3rd that we don't have.

This would not deter me. OJ would be the #1 TE in this draft easily ! He is now a vet not a greenhorn rook and has shown me enough while playing under toxic circumstances, that we need to get him here NOW 

Besides, what NFL 'body of work' do any any draft prospects have ? 0

Howards floor is an uber athletic starter. His ceiling is still very much wide open !

Its good too for Tampa, Brady and Arians have a hand-picked  top 50 pick to make its offense more suited to Brady

And you don't think an uber athletic starting TE with a ceiling that's very much wide open fits into what Brady likes? Also, for the same reasons you list as to why the Bears should part with #50- uncertainty, no other good TE's- why wouldn't Arians think the same way?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

That's not the point. Howard has done nothing to show he's worth a "longterm" deal. He's also done nothing to show he's better than pick #50, unless you're taking into account what he did at Alabama in 2016. He's never had more than 34 catches in a year or 570 yards in a year. I don't love any of these TE's in this draft but I'm also confident that Kmet, Bryant and even Trautman can surpass Howard's averages in year one.

Kmet bryant whoever aren't going to do anything if they are not featured or are in coach's dog house

Burton hadn't done much to warrant his deal either but that gamble paid off. OJ is CHEAP right now, this is why I sign him to multiple yrs. Give him same deal as Burton, gamble on the Athleticism and mismatch capability. No injury issues w Howard

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

And you don't think an uber athletic starting TE with a ceiling that's very much wide open fits into what Brady likes? Also, for the same reasons you list as to why the Bears should part with #50- uncertainty, no other good TE's- why wouldn't Arians think the same way?

Arians hate Howard, Howard hates Arians. It has been that way for a while now. I don't know Brady's thoughts on OJ but why not reset the O with a day 2 pick ... arians, brady, howard and chicago all win

Howard needs to be featured. I think about Burton's first season and how much further Howard could move the position. 

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Let's Madden trade it...

2nd + Cohen (3rd down back for Brady)

For

3rd, Howard & Justin Evans (SS for us)

Get it done Pace 😂

I can actually see a deal like this going down. A 2nd + a player for Howard and a 3rd, win win. It would hurt me pretty bad to lose TC though..

Edited by SLCbear

19 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Kmet bryant whoever aren't going to do anything if they are not featured or are in coach's dog house

Burton hadn't done much to warrant his deal either but that gamble paid off. OJ is CHEAP right now, this is why I sign him to multiple yrs. Give him same deal as Burton, gamble on the Athleticism and mismatch capability. No injury issues w Howard

You definitely have a point that Howard may not be a wholly known commodity just yet. Arians' offense isn't as big on the TE as Nagy's is, and Winston threw 30 interceptions last season. But #50 this year is way too much for the gamble you're proposing. If Tampa demands a high pick, but will wait 'til next year, then fine. The Bears can't do it this year. 

Edited by Heinz D.

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

You definitely have a point that Howard may not be a wholly known commodity just yet. Arians' offense isn't as big on the TE as Nagy's is, and Winston threw 30 interceptions last season. But #50 this year is way too much for the gamble you're proposing. If Tampa demands a high pick, but will wait 'til next year, then fine. The Bears can't do it this year. 

something like 50+player for Howard+3rd..

1 minute ago, SLCbear said:

something like 50+player for Howard+3rd..

Depending on the player, that wouldn't be inconceivable.

Maybe Trubisky? xD

I kid. The Buccaneers are actually a pretty loaded team, don't know who they'd want from our roster. Cohen, floated above, might actually be a decent option. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Depending on the player, that wouldn't be inconceivable.

Maybe Trubisky? xD

I kid. The Buccaneers are actually a pretty loaded team, don't know who they'd want from our roster. Cohen, floated above, might actually be a decent option. 

hurts my heart to say it but Cohen makes PERFECT sense in TB..