Bears to release Trey Burton

beardown3231

17 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

As someone who thinks Cohen’s value here is grossly overstated I’d be totally fine moving him. I think the significance of his role in our scheme far outweighs his actual ability. I think our use of him is very forced and that it frequently limits what we are able to do and makes us more predictable on offense. 

This is an issue I wish Nagy would focus on fixing. Similar players like Ekeler, Lindsay, and Breida are among the most impactful backs in the league.

51 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

This is an issue I wish Nagy would focus on fixing. Similar players like Ekeler, Lindsay, and Breida are among the most impactful backs in the league.

I'm not sure it can be fixed. Pace probably needs to take the Cohen option away from Nagy entirely, as Nagy can't seem to grasp what all of us here clearly do. 

36 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not sure it can be fixed. Pace probably needs to take the Cohen option away from Nagy entirely, as Nagy can't seem to grasp what all of us here clearly do. 

Not to say that every back like Cohen is equally good, but I find it disconcerting that other teams have found ways to use players like him with a lot of success. Even guys like Sproles and Charcandrick West had success in similar offenses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Not to say that every back like Cohen is equally good, but I find it disconcerting that other teams have found ways to use players like him with a lot of success. Even guys like Sproles and Charcandrick West had success in similar offenses.

Maybe Cohen isn't as good? He was a good player in 2018 but last year he seemed slow and even more hesitant than usual.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Maybe Cohen isn't as good? He was a good player in 2018 but last year he seemed slow and even more hesitant than usual.

I think his lack of trust in the OL was evident. He is a player that has to have a lane or space to make a play, hea just too small and weak to shrug off impact with any regularity. 

I'd like to see how many times he (and all other RBs too) was hit in the backfield in 2018 and 2019. I feel like there were a LOT more runs stuffed or stalled because of runners getting hit in the backfield. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think his lack of trust in the OL was evident. He is a player that has to have a lane or space to make a play, hea just too small and weak to shrug off impact with any regularity. 

I'd like to see how many times he (and all other RBs too) was hit in the backfield in 2018 and 2019. I feel like there were a LOT more runs stuffed or stalled because of runners getting hit in the backfield. 

It really seemed like there was less space for a few of these more dynamic playmakers. I’d put some of that on the OL play and some on the QB’s inability to hit downfield passes.

I’d like to see the Bears’ young WRs get a shot with a different QB before I completely write any of them off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

It really seemed like there was less space for a few of these more dynamic playmakers. I’d put some of that on the OL play and some on the QB’s inability to hit downfield passes.

I’d like to see the Bears’ young WRs get a shot with a different QB before I completely write any of them off.

That was one of the reasons I wanted to see the Bears make a move for a QB with the balls to throw it deep, be it Winston (who was a laughably poor fit for Arians' offense) or a rookie like Eason. Hopefully when Foles takes over for Tru he shows the ability to do so. 

2 hours ago, GBHalas said:

Burton just signed with the Colts for 4 mil guaranteed.  Cap guys does that change the dead money for the Bears?

Rotoworld has it that he signed for the vet minimum. We will get a cap credit of about $1M because of salary offset. I’m not sure whether the cap savings is all realized in 2020 or if it’s spread over 2020 and 2021 since he’s designated as a post-June 1 cut.

So it’s something. But not much. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Rotoworld has it that he signed for the vet minimum. We will get a cap credit of about $1M because of salary offset. I’m not sure whether the cap savings is all realized in 2020 or if it’s spread over 2020 and 2021 since he’s designated as a post-June 1 cut.

So it’s something. But not much. 

With the offset I think we save about $1.8 million. Whatever... deduct it from Jimmy Graham's contract number I guess.