Why is Jordan Love a potential first rounder?

Elky

1 minute ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I understand if you’re not a fan of Love the prospect. But to not understand why some may be or why weighing his 2018 and 2019 with contest is important idk what can be said to change your mind. 

Recency bias rules this website. It's not a shock.

Just now, beekay414 said:

LOL

Did you not watch that playoff game against Houston, who did everything in their power to throw the game away? Buffalo has improved because of their defense and run game, not because of Josh Allen. He's not a complete and utter disaster, but he's definitely their weak link.

5 minutes ago, Elky said:

Did you not watch that playoff game against Houston, who did everything in their power to throw the game away? Buffalo has improved because of their defense and run game, not because of Josh Allen. He's not a complete and utter disaster, but he's definitely their weak link.

Whatever you say, hot shot. You started the thread asking a question and when answered, you get combative and speak in full hyperbole. I gave you reasoning as to why Love is a 1st rounder but you brushed it off as "who cares about 2018" like it didn't happen. Losing a **** ton of talent at a small school is valid reasoning for why his 2019 tape didn't match. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Because his 2018 tape is phenomenal. As has been said numerous times in some of these threads, Utah State in 2019 was brutal talent wise. Love regressed but the talent around him played a massive part (both on field and on the sidelines - Gary Andersen sucks). Losing Matt Wells, Dax Raymond, Darwin Thompson and his top 3 WRs was too much to overcome. The talent never left Love, the situation around him just got drastically worse. Sure, he had a few WTF moments but he tried to force a ton due to the lack of talent around him. 

Love's skillset is the least of my worries. The situation he goes to matters more to me than anything. 

Well said. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Whatever you say, hot shot. You started the thread asking a question and when answered, you get combative and speak in full hyperbole. I gave you reasoning as to why Love is a 1st rounder but you brushed it off as "who cares about 2018" like it didn't happen. Losing a **** ton of talent at a small school is valid reasoning for why his 2019 tape didn't match. The fact that you can't grasp that isn't my problem. Simple minds.

We've seen plenty of players drop because they regressed in their final season. Plenty of players have flukey seasons where they get overhyped, then they regress to the mean and most people realize they weren't that good in the first place.

• Like 1

Just now, Elky said:

We've seen plenty of players drop because they regressed in their final season. Plenty of players have flukey seasons where they get overhyped, then they regress to the mean and most people realize they weren't that good in the first place.

Yes. a 32 TD, 6 INT season is totally fluky. Not that he went through a coaching change and lost his #1 RB, #1 TE and his top 3 WRs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yes. a 32 TD, 6 INT season is totally fluky. Not that he went through a coaching change and lost his #1 RB, #1 TE and his top 3 WRs. 

So he needs everything around him to be perfect in order to be any good? That's fine for a third rounder but whatever.

His "skill sets" are cool and all, but that doesn't matter much when you're dumb as bricks and constantly turn it over.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

Just now, Elky said:

So he needs everything around him to be perfect in order to be any good? That's fine for a third rounder but whatever.

lol what? No that's not what was said, at all. That's massive DRASTIC change for any player let alone a QB at a small school. 

This isn’t a Herbert thread but here’s my writeup on Herbert vs Love and why I like Love:

Herbert has the safer floor, but a way way lower ceiling. I see Herbert as Josh Allen 2.0 basically. Herbert needs a Top Tier Pass Protection to function and has erratic accuracy. I see Herbert being ranked in the Early 20’s for starting QB’s, like almost no matter what. Not a bust but not a quality starter. Whereas Love will either be a Top 10 QB or complete utter bust. 

Herbert will string you along 5 years, show flashes, one good year, and have a Mariota/Winston type career and not get his contract renewed. He sets you back 5 years. 

Love you either strike complete gold or strike out completely. And I think you strike gold, but not confident in that. 

Here are my quick Pros and Cons:

Justin Herbert:

Pros:

- Solid Mobility, can be used as a weapon similar to Josh Allen. 

- Prototypical Size

- Laser arm, best arm in the draft by a mile. 

- Smart QB with High Football IQ

Cons:

- Very below average accuracy on all levels

- Average mechanics

- Average processor

- Horrendous Pocket Presence

- Not a charismatic leader, extremely introverted

Jordan Love:

Pros:

- Laser Arm, but not Herbert Level.

- Tremendous Pocket Presence

- Excellent Mobility with extending plays and escaping pressure. Not really a weapon like Herbert though. 

- Solid Accuracy

- Solid Mechanics

- Vocal Leader

- Only QB in the draft that can throw from multiple arm slots

Cons:

- Average processor like Herbert

- Horrendous at understanding defenses, he gets fooled by disguised zones constantly. 

- Prototypical size but a little too lean

- Horrendous decision maker in 2019 but really good in 2018. Which is the strange thing about Love. You have to consider his cast in 2019 was JV Level as was his horrible coaching. And it was. 

Two very different QBs. 

I personally think Love is worth a Top 15 pick and think Herbert is worth a Top 25 pick (though I have a much lower grade on him than 25). I think teaching a guy defenses is much easier than fixing accuracy. Which has been proven throughout history. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Elky said:

His "skill sets" are cool and all, but that doesn't matter much when you're dumb as bricks and constantly turn it over.

Explain to me how Love is "dumb as bricks" when he got a higher Wonderlic than all but 4 QBs in this class (Burrow's the only 1st rounder of that group ahead of him).

Just now, beekay414 said:

Explain to me how Love is "dumb as bricks" when he got a higher Wonderlic than all but 4 QBs in this class (Burrow's the only 1st rounder of that group ahead of him).

Did you seriously just cite the Wonderlic? The same test that Dan Marino bombed at and Ryan Fitzpatrick, who is turnover prone, excelled at?

Just now, Elky said:

Did you seriously just cite the Wonderlic? The same test that Dan Marino bombed at and Ryan Fitzpatrick, who is turnover prone, excelled at?

You're the one that called him dumb as bricks when you have zero clue about the kid. Why did you even start this thread if you don't want answers? There's numerous threads on this forum to rag on someone you don't like.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

You're the one that called him dumb as bricks when you have zero clue about the kid. Why did you even start this thread if you don't want answers? There's numerous threads on this forum to rag on someone you don't like.

Cuz your reasons are pretty lame.

"LUK AT HIZ SKILZ SET!!!"

"LUK HOW AWESUM HE WAZ 50 YEARS AGO!!!"

He's dumb as bricks on the field, hence the 17 interceptions. I get you like him which is cool, but he sorta sucks man, hate to break it to you.

Edited by Elky