Jump to content
RpMc

2020 NFL Draft - Day One Discussion

Recommended Posts

I actually think the packers made a good pick. Love is someone who can sit for a couple years behind AR. I really hope it causes a big schism for the foreseeable future, but I'm a little anxious. I'd really like to see them suffer through QB purgatory for the next 5 decades or so... like us...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 1 draft reviews are very good for the Vikings.  Both picks have largely received A grades and the team has received some recognition as Day 1 “Winners” for getting two players that fit team need and system well and getting good value. Many felt Jefferson was the perfect replacement for Diggs and could have easily gone before pick 22. The Gladney pick received praise for getting a “Zimmer CB”at 31while acquiring extra picks with the trade down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vikings need to trade up in The 2nd (into the 30s or beginning of the 40s), so they can get Cleveland or Jones, EVEN though they are likely to trade for Williams (now that the 3 other teams supposidly interested in trading for him already picked OTs that can play Day 1- and The Redskins might only be able to get a 4th Rounder for him).  They can pick another CB at 58, OR, if they've already made the trade for Williams, and know that they can't keep Harris because even with an extension restructuring, his salary would put them over the cap, they would need to trade Harris for a late 2nd or 3rd Rounder, and need to trade back up again in The 2nd, to grab Winfield (whose versatility-ability to play safety or in the slot, will be needed).  Then, they could use the 3rd 2nd Rounder on an edge guy.   They could get one of the other quality WR with the remaining 3rd Rounder, IF they can get Williams for their early 4th, or a 4th and a 6th or 7th.  I don't mind them giving up some of their 6ths or 7ths to consolidate up to higher positioning.  They could still come out of this draft with 9 or 10 players, and getting their desired players in 2-3 rounds where they wouldn't otherwise have done.  I hope they can re-sign Griffen, but even with Harris gone, Williams coming in might keep that from being possible,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

The Vikings need to trade up in The 2nd (into the 30s or beginning of the 40s), so they can get Cleveland or Jones, EVEN though they are likely to trade for Williams (now that the 3 other teams supposidly interested in trading for him already picked OTs that can play Day 1- and The Redskins might only be able to get a 4th Rounder for him).  They can pick another CB at 58, OR, if they've already made the trade for Williams, and know that they can't keep Harris because even with an extension restructuring, his salary would put them over the cap, they would need to trade Harris for a late 2nd or 3rd Rounder, and need to trade back up again in The 2nd, to grab Winfield (whose versatility-ability to play safety or in the slot, will be needed).  Then, they could use the 3rd 2nd Rounder on an edge guy.   They could get one of the other quality WR with the remaining 3rd Rounder, IF they can get Williams for their early 4th, or a 4th and a 6th or 7th.  I don't mind them giving up some of their 6ths or 7ths to consolidate up to higher positioning.  They could still come out of this draft with 9 or 10 players, and getting their desired players in 2-3 rounds where they wouldn't otherwise have done.  I hope they can re-sign Griffen, but even with Harris gone, Williams coming in might keep that from being possible,

Redskins LT Williams has a 14.5 mil cap hit?   How could we come up that kind of cap space?

Edited by Taylor0026

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Taylor0026 said:

Redskins LT Williams has a 14.5 mil cap hit?   How could we come up that kind of cap space?

While I definitely agree with you most people will say cutting Reiff would free up a lot of the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 8.8 mil  in cap space if Reiff is cut.  Where is the extra 5.7 mil coming from for Williams( this guy didn't even play last year)?  Are we Trading Anthony Harris as well?  That opens up a big spot at Saftey and Looks like a Subtraction of 2 positions for 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Gut feeling: I wouldn't rule out drafting another WR this year, maybe even as early as Friday night.

Note: I had a gut feeling going into the 2019 draft that the Vikings would draft a RB in the first four rounds.

Edited by Klomp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams did a relatively good job on OL.

Took all the prospects that were actually worthy of R1 selection.

Josh Jones & Esra Cleveland falling out is very fair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Teams did a relatively good job on OL.

Took all the prospects that were actually worthy of R1 selection.

Josh Jones & Esra Cleveland falling out is very fair

They might be worth trading up for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Taylor0026 said:

Redskins LT Williams has a 14.5 mil cap hit?   How could we come up that kind of cap space?

Any trade would be accompanied by a contract extension. That alone would lower his cap hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Klomp said:

Gut feeling: I wouldn't rule out drafting another WR this year, maybe even as early as Friday night.

Note: I had a gut feeling going into the 2019 draft that the Vikings would draft a RB in the first four rounds.

I have the same feeling about CB. Could see them grabbing another one. But DL can’t be ignored. I’d hope to come away with 2 DL and 1 OL on day2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Taylor0026 said:

About 8.8 mil  in cap space if Reiff is cut.  Where is the extra 5.7 mil coming from for Williams( this guy didn't even play last year)?  Are we Trading Anthony Harris as well?  That opens up a big spot at Saftey and Looks like a Subtraction of 2 positions for 1

No trading Harris (for Trent).

We have like around $11-12M cap space now + add potentially $11M cutting Reiff with post June 1st designation. And than you can structure a Trent extension with a lower value than AAV

Edited by CriminalMind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

some really funny stuff in the 50+ page discussion in the Packer forum of them picking a QB in Round One.

let's just say they're not pleased...

 

but then, if Rodgers breaks another collarbone....

Edited by vike daddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

some really funny stuff in the 50+ page discussion in the Packer forum of them picking a QB in Round One.

let's just say they're not pleased...

 

but then, if Rodgers breaks another collarbone....

You know what I was just thinking about this AM...I think the Packers seem to suffer from the same thing as the Twins did for years..."We do it the Packers Way...the Packers Way works"...eventually that will come to bite them in the <bleep>.  While I understand the thought process in selecting Love, with a team that has suffered from a lack of skill position talent for years now, I'm not sure this is the way to improve your team.  And add on top of that that they traded up to get him, so they lost an additional pick to do so...trading in front of 3 other teams that weren't going to take a QB anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...