Rumors that we're shopping Kenny Stills (uh oh)

Drained

13 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Honestly, the Clowney trade is still a TBD trade. I didn’t like Clowney,  disappeared for multiple games at a time and wanted too much money. 

the value of this trade will be determined by what happens to Martin and Conley. If those two guys turn out good, it’s a decent trade. Conley was our best CB the last half of the season. I have faith in him. Martin has flashed potential but not much else. 

The problem with the clowney trade is that it lacks no clear plan/vision. Its not one singular move that is made in a vacuum. I am with you that clowney is overrated somewhat. He does disappear for stretches and he does want too much money. I am not saying you should have signed him to a LTD, just that trading him when you did, for what you did, was a big blunder.

First of all, you guys were a playoff team with superbowl aspirations. You could have kept him, tried to win a Superbowl, then gotten a 3rd round comp in 21. Hell, removing the tag from him rather than trading him would have most likely netted you a third round pick this year (there is precedent with Josh Norman) (also depends on your other FA moves last year). 

I could understand if you are clearing cap space and getting a pick back. That's generally good business if the return is good. The return was clearly horrible based on what we have seen other edge rushers get traded for (Dee Ford was traded for a future 2nd, Frank Clark was a 1st and future 2nd, Mack was a first plus pick swap in year 2, Deforest Buckner could also count on this list, he was traded for #13 overall) and you didnt actually save very much money.

The return was light, and then you paid 50% of his salary. That's the most baffling part of this. The money saved was supposed to be the best part about trading him considering you got essentially the same return as you would have with him leaving in 1 season. Instead you only saved 7m and moved up the pick 1 year and got two players that seattle didnt want (mingo is a huge draft bust and Martin was a 6th rounder in his second year). 

So, you did not really receive extra compensation by trading him rather than letting him walk, you didnt save very much money, and you were not as good of a football team in 2019.

Trades that have a good plan at least provide some benefit. This was no-man's land. You are stuck between three outcomes any team would expect to receive for a former #1 overall pick who is not a bust (cap savings, draft capital, immediate positive impact) without actually receiving any of the three. There was basically no benefit to trading him. You weren't a better team the day it happened, and you wont be a better team in the future because of the capital you received. That's a horrible trade. 

For these reasons, I call it the second worst trade in sports history. I will let you guess which trade I have graded worse.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, N4L said:

The problem with the clowney trade is that it lacks no clear plan/vision. Its not one singular move that is made in a vacuum. I am with you that clowney is overrated somewhat. He does disappear for stretches and he does want too much money. I am not saying you should have signed him to a LTD, just that trading him when you did, for what you did, was a big blunder.

First of all, you guys were a playoff team with superbowl aspirations. You could have kept him, tried to win a Superbowl, then gotten a 3rd round comp in 21. Hell, removing the tag from him rather than trading him would have most likely netted you a third round pick this year (there is precedent with Josh Norman) (also depends on your other FA moves last year). 

I could understand if you are clearing cap space and getting a pick back. That's generally good business if the return is good. The return was clearly horrible based on what we have seen other edge rushers get traded for (Dee Ford was traded for a future 2nd, Frank Clark was a 1st and future 2nd, Mack was a first plus pick swap in year 2, Deforest Buckner could also count on this list, he was traded for #13 overall) and you didnt actually save very much money.

The return was light, and then you paid 50% of his salary. That's the most baffling part of this. The money saved was supposed to be the best part about trading him considering you got essentially the same return as you would have with him leaving in 1 season. Instead you only saved 7m and moved up the pick 1 year and got two players that seattle didnt want (mingo is a huge draft bust and Martin was a 6th rounder in his second year). 

So, you did not really receive extra compensation by trading him rather than letting him walk, you didnt save very much money, and you were not as good of a football team in 2019.

Trades that have a good plan at least provide some benefit. This was no-man's land. You are stuck between three outcomes any team would expect to receive for a former #1 overall pick who is not a bust (cap savings, draft capital, immediate positive impact) without actually receiving any of the three. There was basically no benefit to trading him. You weren't a better team the day it happened, and you wont be a better team in the future because of the capital you received. That's a horrible trade. 

For these reasons, I call it the second worst trade in sports history. I will let you guess which trade I have graded worse.  

We all know the Texans are directionless and leaderless 

• Like 3

no other way around it, we should have gotten at least a 2nd for clowney.  the return was crap.

also trading stills would be incredibly stupid.  he was pretty damn solid for us given he only started 5 games for us.  Coutee I can see being traded but not Stills.  I think he balls out in his contract year and end up being our best WR this year.

• Like 2