Eric Dunn's 7 round mock

Eric dunn

44 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

My one concern regarding Cleveland is that his opposition at Boise State does not rise the level of many NFL caliber pass rushers.  He may be athletic and a scheme fit, but I wonder how will respond to facing elite defensive ends and edge rushers?

I agree. That said, he goes up against Curtis Weaver every day in practice. Weaver is a 2nd round projected edge player who was a terror in that conference in his career. 

13 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

There is a difference between "plenty of receivers" and plenty of "good" receivers though.

There is a greater difference between 'plenty of receivers, albeit some only being mediocre' and 'very few CBs with potential to be good starters'.

14 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

That depends on the scheme the team is going with. There has been a lot of speculation about moving to a 4-3 under scheme and there is some evidence in the personnel moves and coaching changes to back that up. The Vikings would be fine at DE with Hunter and Odenigbo. Pierce would be the NT. 3T remains a problem. They have some candidates for the 5T.

In the case of moving to 4-3 under DE is may be fine; they need improvements at 3T and 5T is a question mark. The best bet for 3T would be Mata'afa but as Krauser correctly pointed out Mata'afa looked terrible last year. One would have to hope that he looks better in the 4-3 under, which seems possible since he would always be on the weak side with the scheme change coupled with the weight gain.

There are RBs and TEs on the current roster who can also be good receivers.   That lessens the urgency to draft a WR high in the draft RELATIVE TO the current roster DL who can play in the schemes you mentioned.

On 4/21/2020 at 5:33 AM, Purplexing said:

OK, except I'd prefer a DE in front of a WR for rounds 2 and 3.   There are plenty of receivers on the current roster.

But depth and quality of DE is not as strong as is needed to produce a good pass defense.

Unless the value is there, i cant see them taking a DE over a WR. Like for example is Chaisson was there at 25. I think a mid round guy is fine to back up Ifeadi next season. 

Also, something tells me Everson Griffen might come back. 

Edited by Eric dunn

On 4/21/2020 at 8:58 PM, Purplexing said:

There are RBs and TEs on the current roster who can also be good receivers.   That lessens the urgency to draft a WR high in the draft RELATIVE TO the current roster DL who can play in the schemes you mentioned.

This isn't really true. They need to have the personnel necessary to run certain formations. Mattison and Rudolph aren't going to be able to do the job of the X or Z receiver most of the time.

Being a good pass catcher at a position other than WR does not lessen the need/urgency to get players well suited to play the receiver positions.

• Like 1

I could certainly get behind Cleveland.  I was pounding the table for Whitehair a couple years ago and Cleveland reminds me of that situation.  Obviously not the same position, but neither stood out physically yet both were very solid with good technique and seem to be valued/ranked similarly at a position of need and scheme fit.   We know how that one turned out.  Could we trade back a bit and get Cleveland?

6 minutes ago, Harvey Wallbang said:

I could certainly get behind Cleveland.  I was pounding the table for Whitehair a couple years ago and Cleveland reminds me of that situation.  Obviously not the same position, but neither stood out physically yet both were very solid with good technique and seem to be valued/ranked similarly at a position of need and scheme fit.   We know how that one turned out.  Could we trade back a bit and get Cleveland?

I think its very realistic to trade back and still get him. But if they like him that much, it might make sense to just scoop him at #22 or #25. 

Definitely could get on board with this draft. At the Muti pick, everything kind of becomes a crap shoot, but I like the thought put into those players. Muti himself scares me with those injuries and I think there could be other guys at G we could look at with this pick who could be safer, but I can't complain in the 4th. 

Can Anthony Gordon grow a sweet mustache to carry on the Washington St. tradition?

On 4/23/2020 at 1:21 PM, JDBrocks said:

This isn't really true. They need to have the personnel necessary to run certain formations. Mattison and Rudolph aren't going to be able to do the job of the X or Z receiver most of the time.

Being a good pass catcher at a position other than WR does not lessen the need/urgency to get players well suited to play the receiver positions.

Actually, a RB and TE make an effective receiver because there are very often favorable mismatches in coverage; e.g. RB (Cook, not Mattison) vs. LB.  So, your claim about needing more 'WR skills' is moot.  

Edited by Purplexing
added 'Cook not Mattison'.

21 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Actually, a RB and TE make an effective receiver because there are very often favorable mismatches in coverage; e.g. RB (Cook, not Mattison) vs. LB.  So, your claim about needing more 'WR skills' is moot.  

I didn’t say that they don’t individually create mismatches or that individual RBs and TEs aren’t good receiving options. I said that they don’t play the WR positions necessary to effectively run plays in formations. They need receivers to play the receiver positions. At any rate, I think you know that, and I’m not going to spend anymore time talking about It.

• Like 1