BDL 2017 Week 3: Berlin Blitzkrieg @ Charleston Dingos

TedLavie

Berlin Blitzkrieg @ Charleston Dingos  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Berlin Blitzkrieg
    • Charleston Dingos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/27/2017 at 02:00 PM

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For people who have been following along and wish to vote: please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (GTD) are game-time decisions.

Berlin

Offense
QB - Jameis Winston
RB - Lamar Miller
WR - Tyreek Hill
WR - DeSean Jackson
TE - Kyle Rudolph
TE - Hunter Henry
LT - Trent Williams
LG - Justin Pugh
C - Corey Linsley
RG - Gabe Jackson
RT - Ja’wuan James

OL - Mike Pouncey
OL - Taylor Moton
RB - Mike Gillislee
RB - D’Onta Foreman
WR - Taylor Gabriel
WR - Jordan Matthews
WR - Kenny Golladay
FB - Jalston Fowler

Base Defense
RE - Demarcus Lawrence
DT - Adolphus Washington
DT - Rakeem Nunez-Roches
LE - Justin Houston
LB - Alec Ogletree
CB - Gareon Conley
CB - AJ Bouye
NB - Mike Hilton
S - Tashaun Gipson
S - Haha Clinton-Dix

Edge - Deatrich Wise
Edge - Dawuane Smoot
DI - Davon Godchaux
LB - Vince Williams
LB - Eli Harold
CB - Quinten Rollins
S - Kentrell Brice

Charleston

QB1: Phillip Rivers
RB1: Melvin Gordon
WR1: Golden Tate
WR2: Randall Cobb -[GTD]
WR3: Rishard Matthews
TE: Jimmy Graham - [GTD]
LT: Joe Staley
LG: Mike Iupati - [Q]
C:  A.Q Shipley
RG: John Miller
RT: Nate Solder

Bench:

QB2: Andy Dalton
RB2: Demarco Murray - [Q]
RB3: Buck Allen
TE2: Julius Thomas
WR4: Kendall Wright
WR5: Kenny Britt
OL6: Kelvin Beachum
OL7: Donovan Smith

Charleston Defense:

LDE: Derrick Morgan
3T:  Malik Jackson
DT:  Leonard Williams
RDE: Whitney Mercilus
WLB: Lavonte David
MLB: Myles Jack
CB1: Marcus Peters 
CB2: Stephon Gilmore
CB3: Brandon Carr
FS: Byron Jones
SS: Micah Hyde

Bench:

SLB: Paul Poslusky
RLB: Thomas Davis
DE3: Noah Spence
DT3: Brandon Mebane
DT4: Johnathan Bullard
CB4: Ross Cockrell
CB5: Ricardo Allen
S3:  Kenny Vacarro 

Berlin

Offense 
We will start with our standard 2-TE set and attack the front 7 of Charleston.  As usual, we want to beat up on them and wear them out.  Charleston has some good players up front, but we think our OL can win in the trenches.  Our perceived weakness, Ja’wuan James, looked fantastic last week against very good SD edge defenders and seems to have made that next big jump.  We are willing to bet that the strength of our OL can beat the strength of their DL as their DL hasn’t been playing up their standard yet.  Gillislee and Foreman will be used more on early downs as our bruising backs to do the dirty work and soften up the Charleston defense.  They don’t have the best YPC right now, but that’s due more to IRL poor OL play and how they are used.  We think this situation would greatly improve their averages.  Miller will get his share of carries and also operate as our 3rd down back.  Charleston has some fast LBs that flow well, but they aren’t the biggest of guys.  That said, we will do a bit more inside running to try and get our offensive lineman on their LBs after some double teams to blast them off the ball.  This will allow our backs to break off some big gains.  

To further this goal, we will replace Rudolph with Fowler at times to give us a lead blocker.  Fowler is one of the best FBs in the NFL and we think he will be a huge boost in terms on blasting open holes.  We don’t think the smaller LBs of Charleston can take him on in the hole with any success.  

Off of our run game, we will use play-action passes for chunk yardage.  Henry and Rudolph will be used to help move the chains and stretch the field down the seam as they can use their size to box out the smaller LBs of Charleston.  We will have Tyreek run plenty of shorter routes so he can use his quickness and speed for YAC.  We will also target DeSean on some deep shots as we think he can outrun Gilmore.  

Our 3 WR-1 TE-1 RB set will bring Golladay in and put Tyreek in the slot.  This will allow Golladay to use his size on the outside and also gives Tyreek a free release which is trouble for any defense.  Henry will be the TE in this set as he is a better blocker. 

On rare occasions, such as very short yardage and goalline, we will bring Pouncey in as a 6th OL for Rudolph.  Henry will be the TE with Fowler and Foreman/Gillislee in the backfield.  Tyreek will be the sole WR.  

We will also run out of our 3 set.  As mentioned above, we are willing to bet that our OL can win against their DL.  From these sets, their defense will be more spread out which will only help our RBs.

Defense
Our goal this week is to remove the running game from Charleston to make them one dimensional.  We have some injuries this week, but we think we can still accomplish this goal by committing enough bodies.

Adolphus and RNR get the start at DT.  We want to use their size to clog up the middle.  We will bring in Godchaux to get more of an inside push.  On some obvious passing downs, we will slide Wise inside next to Godchaux.  With Morse out and Iupati banged up, we think these guys can get the job done.  Houston, Wise, and Lawrence have all played fantastic to start the year and will harass Rivers.

Alec and Kiko start at LB.  They will focus on shutting down the run game as both will watch Gordon.  In man coverage, if Gordon’s route goes towards Kiko’s side, Kiko has him in coverage and Alec takes a middle zone and vice versa.  This is to make sure neither LB has to cross the formation to cover Gordon.  In zone coverage, they take their normal middle zones.  

Garson Conley makes his BDL debut after a very nice performance last week including a beautiful pass break up(even though it was just the Jets).  He plays will cover Tate with Gipson sitting over the top to bracket him.  Haha is going to play closer to the LOS to take the struggling Graham in coverage and further help against the run.  Bouye takes the other outside WR for Charleston.  Hilton has been very solid for Pitt in the slot and he takes whoever they play there.

With Graham sucking and Cobb out, we think all that we need to do to shut down the passing game of Charleston is bracket Tate as Matthews is not very good and Bouye can handle him.  This allows us to dedicate enough players to remove the running game for Charleston.  We will always have 7 in the box in 3 WR sets.  

If they go two TE or play a FB cause they have no other WR weapons, Vince Williams comes in to play MLB as a thumper.    This gives us 8 in the box on 2 WR sets.

Charleston

Charleston Offensive Strategy: Wear out the defense with the run, Beat them late in the game with the pass. 

The Passing Strategy: With a few injuries on the offensive side of the ball this week, we'll make adjustments depending on who suits up. With Jimmy Graham and Randall Cobb both being GTDs we'll supplement our passing game by using Gordon more out of the backfield and getting Golden Tate more targets and move him around to find matchups. Rivers is well protected behind a very good line featuring Staley, Iupati, Shipley, Miller, Solder all of whom are good blockers. We'll be heavily attacking Eric Rowe since he's a big reason why the patriots defense is struggling, A.J Bouye is just an overrated CB who doesn't even cover no.1 WRs. Berlin does possess a good safety duo in Gipson and Dix but outside of them, Berlin doesn't possess any quality DBs. We're going to Attack Berlin's secondary relentlessly by featuring Thomas+Graham heavily in the passing game, They don't have the personel to cover one TE let alone two very good receiving TEs. Rivers will make adjustments as he reads the defense and picks them apart rom the pocket, While Berlin does Possess an elite Pass Rusher in Justin Houston they don't really have a good secondary pass rusher with Nick Perry out and that will allow us to scheme Houston into being double teamed at times and keep him from disrupting rivers too much. With Brandon Williams out as well, we're facing a depleted Berlin defense that won't be able to stop the run or stop the pass and we'll be able to move the ball at will. We will feature a balanced attack and we'll slowly wear down the defense until they are too tired and just give up. Plus Berlin's owner has a drinking problem and I doubt he will be sober enough to scheme against my offense. 

The Running Strategy: Melvin Gordon will be featured heavily as our Primary runner, If Murray doesn't play we'll use Buck Allen as the no.2 RB and mix him in a bit to keep Gordon fresh. Gordon is the engine of our offense and despite his bad IRL YPC that's on the chargers o-line more than anything since they can't block, in BDL he has a much better line that will open bigger holes against a weak run defense missing some key players. If Murray does suit up, he'll get about 5-10 carries to spell Gordon but if not Allen will do that. Gordon will get some option routes, screens and be the dedicated checkdown on a few plays. Gordon is excellent in pass protection and we'll use him to pass protected as needed, We'll also leave a TE or RB to help pass protect on a decent number of plays to help keep Houston in check. I expect the pass to run ration will be somewhere around 55% to 45% but depending on the game script it could go as high as 60:40, we won't be afraid to commit to running the ball and pounding it early since Berlin's run defense is more or less in shambles right now.

TDLR: 

Charleston Defensive Strategy: 4-3 Defense with a mix of coverages playing mostly man coverage.

The Passing Strategy: Marcus Peters will shadow Tyreek Hill and we'll give him some safety help over the top on some of the plays, Stephon Gilmore will cover their no.2 WR, Brandon Carr who leads the league in INTs will cover the slot/their no.3 WR. DeSean Jackson is their current no.2 WR and he's nothing more than an injury prone one trick speed demon it should be pretty easy to take him out of the game. Depending on who Berlin trots out as their no.3 WR they won't see many snaps but they'll probably be featured heavily as a checkdown option and we'll prepare for that. Micah Hyde joins the starting lineup and replaces Vaccaro, Byron Jones is one of the best Safeties in the game and will cover the deep part of the field. I expect Berlin will come out with a heavy running game and feature lots of two TE sets to spread the ball around and try and create mismatches. We'll mostly play Man Coverage to try and force Berlin to beat us via their passing game which is sorely lacking any real weapons outside of Hill. Hunter Henry and Kyle Rudolph form a solid TE duo but they're nothing my defense can't take care of, depending on the matchup a LB or S will cover them. Jameis Winston is a solid NFL QB but he has a bad history of forcing the ball deep and trying to make plays that aren't there, we'll use a variety of coverage looks to confuse the young crab thief. Berlin's RBs are nothing more than medicore players who will struggle to contribute in the passing game or get YAC. My front seven should be able to shut down the run and puts lots of pressure on a QB whose prone to struggling under pressure. We'll also mix and match who covers who to make sure Jameis can't zero in on one player he thinks might be a weakness.

The Run Defense: We'll stop the run but our main focus will be shutting down the passing game and forcing them to beat us through the air, Mercilus+Jackson+Williams+Morgan combined is one of the best D-lines in BDL and they'll harrass Winston all day long. Brandon Mebane will rotate in as the NT on obvious running situations, Noah Spence will rotate heavily with Morgan+Mercilus to keep them fresh and we'll use a variety of blitzes to get to Jameis. Berlin's O-line is pretty solid, But Justin Pugh has struggled this year and Linsley is nothing special along with Ja'Wuan James is easily Miami's 3rd worst blocker as well. I expect Berlin won't be able to get much of a push in the running game and that will force them to throw the ball more leading to Jameis forcing more passes into my elite secondary. Myles Jack is playing very well in his 2nd season and is excelling in coverage, Lavonte David is one of the best 4-3 LBs in the NFL as well. Puz and Davis will rotate in as the 3rd and 4th LBs as needed to give them breathers, we'll rotate our defensive line and play goaline defense as the situation calls for it. 

TDLR: Confuse Jameis, Serve Complimentary Crabs, keep them out of the DingoZone.

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

For some reason, Kiko got removed when I formatted.  He is obviously in my starting lineup next to Alec.

I don't see him so.... Berlin obviously ran with 10 defenders for most of the game in a daring new strategy. 

With Cobb out, Matthews becomes the no.2 WR. Kendall Wright becomes the no.3 etc. 

Also FYI Berlin's starting DTs Adolphus has played 37.01% of the defensive snaps through two weeks making him a rotation player at best. Rakeem has also only played 37% of the snaps. Godchaux their lone d-line backup has played 55% of the snaps. Good luck defending the run with those scrubs.

I find it funny both of QBs threw 3 picks this week. 

You're starting AQ Shipley and John Miller with a banged up Iupati.

I'll take my chances.  

Differences in the picks...Rivers threw his to put his team in a hole.  Jameis threw his cause his defense sucked and he had to play catch up...plus he has no running game IRL.

A.Q Shipley is a solid C. Miller is a solid G. Iupati is a stud and he's healthy. You're starting 3rd string DTs. 

Either way our QBs both threw 3 picks.regardless of why. Plus Jameis has a much bigger tendency to throw INTs when faced with pressure and he's facing a better secondary here.

Shipley and Miller suck.  Iupati missed last week and is questionable this week.  Don't act like he is going to be 100%.

Why the picks were thrown is important.  And that last part just isn't true.  One of many lies you told in your write up.  DIdn't you see last week?  Lying about my team isn't going to help you.  Like me not having a good secondary pass rusher.  Wise and Lawrence have been fantastic to start the season.  

19 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

A.Q Shipley is a solid C. Miller is a solid G. Iupati is a stud and he's healthy. You're starting 3rd string DTs. 

Either way our QBs both threw 3 picks. Jameis has a much bigger tendency to throw INTs and he's facing a much better secondary here.

Shipley is a middle of the road center. I don't think Miller is any good though.

Still better than your 3rd stringers. Iupati practiced this week and has a minor tricep tweak not exactly an injury that's going to debilitate him 

If a QB gets picked off it doesn't matter why, He got picked off it's as simple as that. I'm not lying about your team at all, outside of Houston you don't have a good secondary pass rusher. I consider Lawrence to be a better run defender than pass rusher despite his decent sack count. I haven't seen wise play all that much but considering he's played 33% of the snaps....Eh.

Adolphus and Godchaux both started today and RNR rotates in with regularity.  They're DTs.  Very few of them play a massive number of snaps, especially on teams where they have a good rotation.  So you can drop the percentage thing.  And Iupati missed last week and has been questionable all week.

That's not true at all.  Why a QB gets picked matters.

And Lawrence was 2nd in the NFL in sacks coming into the league.  That's better than decent sack count.  He is healthy this year and playing great.  Wise has been very good as well.  

You have this fascination with snap counts at positions that rotate a lot.  

I'll drop the snap counts, still doesn't mean they're good players since they're obviously IRL rotational players at best. He's been questionable because you list injured people as questionable...

Context for an INT is important, but Jameis threw 3 INTs against a good secondary. So did Rivers, Not much more to it than that.

A snap count is a good way to measure if a player is getting playing time. It's a useful tool, especially useful for positions that rotate their players every other snap.

Lawrence still isn't going to get past Solder. Wise has barely played.... 

Solder has sucked this year.  Go read anything about this play this year.  He has been awful.  I don't know if he is secretly hurt because he's been a stud in the past, but he has been atrocious all season.  

And Wise has made a very big impact.  So I guess with more snaps, he will have even better numbers.

For instance, he played 43% of the snaps in week 2 and had 1 sack, 2 TFL, and 5 QB hits.  But yeah...he's barely played.

Archived