Skins fan here: Bengals should draft Chase Young & sign Cam Newton, imo.

aceinthehouse

It's the smarter play, imo.

Burrow is probably going to be pretty good, but you can't be 💯% certain. Plus, he's a rookie & will be tough in that division to be competitive with those defenses.

Cam Newton gives you an immediate upgrade over Dalton & his size could better withstand the punishment, than Dalton or Burrow.

You got Jonah Williams coming back to block the blindside of Cam Newton which should help. Cam is only 30 years old as well. His experience immediately makes you guys a threat in the AFC North. 

Then you draft the best overall player in the draft FROM Ohio st. In Chase Young. His presence with Geno Atkins and the boys would make that D absolutely nasty.

Worst case scenario....you can decide on Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields next year if necessary.

But I think with Cam Newton, you guys could be a great challenge for that Division, immediately. And Chase Young would be franchise Player & team leader for years for you guys.

You can focus on playmakers in the 2nd Rd and on for Cam Newton. A.J. Green can bring his veteran talent & leadership. This draft is scary deep at WR. You could get Cam Newton all the playmakers he would need in one draft. His experience, would be an asset for those rookie WR's, Instead of hoping Burrow can acclimate his game to A.J. Green & the others.

Chase Young and that Defense would get give your offense more opportunities.

You could trade Andy Dalton for picks in 2021 if you wanted too as well. Maybe hold on to him in case a QB went down this season & get good compensation in a trade for him. Lots of options.

Don't get me wrong....I'm a Redskins fan & hope you guys go Burrow. I'm salivating at the thought of adding him(chase young) to our 43 Defense with Allen, Payne, Sweat, Kerrigan & the Greek & Rivera/Del Rio running it.

If you took Young #1 overall, it would also have a Domino affect, imo. Burrow would be there at 2 & it would force other AFC teams to trade a BUNCH of resources for Burrow, Tua or Herbert to move up for him. (Them) 

Miami, Chargers, Jags, Raiders all could trade away #1 picks for Burrow & the other QB's. Thus, giving them 1 player in top round vs 2 or 3 blue chippers to compete vs The Bengals.

I guess to put it plainly....guys.

I thinking taking Burrow #1 overall is the wrong move.

I think you can make your team better now, while still being competitive in the AFC North if not win it.

Take the best player this draft, get a few more good years out of Cam Newton...

And still address QB down the road, with even better QB's coming out.

Not to mention with this Corona virus pandemic. When will Burrow practice?

Wouldn't it be smart to have a talented, yet experienced QB take the helm with possibly no training camp & so on to get the rookies ready?

Why do you think we traded for Panthers QB Kyle Allen for a 5th rounder? He already knows the playbook.

Anyways, just wanted to give my .2¢ on the Bengals situation.

Stay safe everyone & good luck this year.

Good luck in the draft as well. It's almost here.🥂

• Like 1

And if we passed on Burrow, which team could trade the Burrow pick for a king's ransom? Ummmmmm, help me out.

BTW we are taking the best player from Ohio State, but from two years ago.  If Burrow busts, no one will look back and say it was the wrong move.  

So we take the hometown kid from Athens, Ohio while you take the hometown kid in Chase Young (DeMatha HS in Maryland, no?).  

But thanks for looking out for our best interests and all.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Burrow is probably going to be pretty good, but you can't be 💯% certain.

Same with Chase Young

Cam Newton gives you an immediate upgrade over Dalton & his size could better withstand the punishment, than Dalton or Burrow.

Cam’s recent history says otherwise

You got Jonah Williams coming back to block the blindside of Cam Newton which should help. Cam is only 30 years old as well. His experience immediately makes you guys a threat in the AFC North

Jonah could block the blindside of Burrow. I’ll give you the experience tho. 

Then you draft the best overall player in the draft FROM Ohio st. In Chase Young. His presence with Geno Atkins and the boys would make that D absolutely nasty.

As @INbengalfan said, Burrow is from Ohio and also went to Ohio State. Yes the D would be fun to watch but franchise QB >>>> franchise edge player

Worst case scenario....you can decide on Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields next year if necessary.

Or..... we take Burrow this year and don’t have to tank another entire year to get the first overall pick... again. In your scenario we aren’t tanking so we’re not getting close to that high of a pick so we’d have to trade a ridiculous amount of picks to go get Lawrence or fields. Oh and who knows how they’ll do this year and how they’ll be as prospects. Burrow now without giving up picks or chase young and have to trade away 3 firsts to get Lawrence (if not more)??

But I think with Cam Newton, you guys could be a great challenge for that Division, immediately. And Chase Young would be franchise Player & team leader for years for you guys.

You’re looking so short term. I’ll entertain tho. Just say we roll the dice with Newton and get the better end of him for 3 years at best. After that, we gotta sign another veteran QB or draft a rookie in the draft (why not take Burrow now lol??). You sound like your philosophy is against rookie QBs so you’d have to sign another vet. You miss out on the luxury of a rookie deal QB. Oh and you’re gonna have to extend Young soon which will be 15m+ apy. Or let him leave because it’s too much to pay him with everyone and a vet QB to get, at best, a 3rd comp pick. You’re in mediocrity hell.

His experience, would be an asset for those rookie WR's, Instead of hoping Burrow can acclimate his game to A.J. Green & the others.

Wouldn’t Cam have to acclimate to AJ & others as well?? Cam has played in a completely different system than what cincy is used to. Or... you change the entire system to Cam and underutilize all your other weapons. Oh and when was the last time Cam three for 4,000 yards? His rookie year. What about Dalton?? 2016. Can wouldn’t be good in the system that would utilize who we have the best. 

Chase Young and that Defense would get give your offense more opportunities.

Burrow would make it a lot easier on our defense.

You could trade Andy Dalton for picks in 2021 if you wanted too as well. Maybe hold on to him in case a QB went down this season & get good compensation in a trade for him. Lots of options

We can’t pay Dalton and Newton. There’s not enough room on the cap. But if we could somehow, I think the best we got offered was a 4 this year. If he sits behind Newton for a year, what’s the best you could get for him then? MAYBE a 5? Lol to that argument 

Miami, Chargers, Jags, Raiders all could trade away #1 picks for Burrow & the other QB's. Thus, giving them 1 player in top round vs 2 or 3 blue chippers to compete vs The Bengals

I think most bengals fans have come to the conclusion that to START trade discussions, another team would have to bring 5 firsts to the table 

Wouldn't it be smart to have a talented, yet experienced QB take the helm with possibly no training camp & so on to get the rookies ready?

This argument is understandable, except we’re not expecting to make a SB run this year so why are we selling our future for just this year???

Having the 1st overall pick in a draft where there is an elite QB prospect is statistically your best chance at getting a franchise QB. Why waste it on an edge player? 

Edited by BengalsBite
  • Like 1