2020 Broncos Forum NFL Draft Thread

BullsandBroncos

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Just throwing something out there, but between anonymous scout quotes calling him overrated and some talk that teams may not value a tweener S/LB in the top 10, there’s a tiny chance Simmons falls to us.

1. Bengals take Burrow

2. Redskins take Young

3. Lions take Okudah

4. Giants take OT1

5/6. Dolphins and Chargers take Tua and Herbert in some order

7. Panthers take Brown

8. Cardinals take OT2

9. Jags take Henderson

10. Browns take OT3

11. Jets take WR1

12. Raiders take WR2

13. 49ers take WR3

14. Bucs take OT4

If the board was to fall like this, do we turn the card in on Simmons? I think he could be a base 3-4 LB and also play the Will Parks role in sub packages. 

I have seen this as a possibility as well.  The guy on NFL Draftnetwork had us trading to 11 to get Simmons as his reasoning was Fangio would be one of the few defensive minds who would know how to utilize Simmons skill set best.  I think if he falls you have to make him the pick.    

22 minutes ago, IronJ said:

I have seen this as a possibility as well.  The guy on NFL Draftnetwork had us trading to 11 to get Simmons as his reasoning was Fangio would be one of the few defensive minds who would know how to utilize Simmons skill set best.  I think if he falls you have to make him the pick.    

Now - I wouldn't have a problem with trading up to get Simmons

• Like 1

21 hours ago, champ11 said:

he doesn't have the mental capacity to be an NFL player...apparently. guy stays healthy. i think he'd be fine as a backup moving forward. end of the day it would not be surprising to me that the organization doesn't want to have Bolles at LT when they finally have their QB that they think can be a franchise guy. 

While Bolles can play well in stretches - you know he is going to lose it a couple of times a year and possibly cost the team the game. In a sport with such small margins you cannot take that risk if you want to compete.

19 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

It just does not make sense to take Trent Williams.  The Broncos are sooooooo young on the offensive side of the ball.  If they drafted, let's say, Thomas at #15 and you had that LT, and you drafted a WR well in the 2nd round...and everything in place, the Broncos have a young offense that they could carry into he future for there or four years.  I'd say go that direction. 

You can't win with just young players - you need some experience and having that experience at LT is probably the best spot on the offence to have it.

3 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I would love to trade up for Simmons. I think he is going to be an absolute animal. 

I would do 1.15 + 2.46 for 1.11 + 4.120 if Simmons is available for the Jets pick.

Or, more ideally, 1.15 + 2.46 + 5.178 for 1.11 + 3.79? Then use R2 ammo to deal up for a WR. 

I think that's too much to give up to move up 4 spots, really we should be hanging on to that 46th pick. We can get a quality CB there.

On the TVC, 1.15 + 3.77 gets us up to pick 11

If we added 4.118 we'd get up to pick 10

To get to 9 or above you're looking at giving up 46 or giving up two thirds.

If we wanted to go right up into the top 5 we're looking at giving up 46 AND at least one third - can't see us going that high

10 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I just found this on Spotrac. Their True Value Score basically combines a player’s PFF score and their salary, so it’s a rough tool to show how much bang for your buck a player’s giving you. The 2019 left tackle table is VERY interesting: 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/valuation/2019/left-tackle/

That's very interesting, I'm glad you shared that. That said, I do think it weights salary a little too heavily. Nate Solder is now awful and is getting paid as a top-flight LT. But Tyron Smith and David Baktiari are both elite and paid like it but are middle tier in this ranking list. 

53 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That's very interesting, I'm glad you shared that. That said, I do think it weights salary a little too heavily. Nate Solder is now awful and is getting paid as a top-flight LT. But Tyron Smith and David Baktiari are both elite and paid like it but are middle tier in this ranking list. 

Yeah, I’m guessing they’ve got it on a linear graph as opposed to something more exponential, where ‘average player making average money’ is as valuable as ‘elite player making elite money,’ which I wouldn’t agree with. But ‘average player making 35% of an average salary’ is incredibly valuable.

• Like 1

High level thought - If we're being realistic and accounting for the age of Drew Lock & the Chiefs contract situation, I would argue that we should draft more developmental players rather than guys who we think will make a major impact next season

(Really this is just my mental preparation for a Kinlaw at 15 pick)

Kiper answered some questions today, and he said the Falcons are horny to move up from 1.16 to lock into a top corner (Henderson). PLEASE.

He also mentioned JAX as ripe for a trade down at 1.9, which should cost us 3.77 and 4.118 to get to, if we wanted to get first choice of the wideouts. For me personally, I’d really be harassing NYJ at 1.11. That should only cost 3.83, and the difference between any of the top 3 isn’t worth the extra jump for me. Ruggs might be my new favourite, actually. For the same reason I was super bullish on Michael Thomas when he came out, Ruggs seems to get the most consistent separation on his outside routes, which I’m very surprised to see. Not that I thought he was strictly a gimmick guy, but I was definitely low on his route-running chops.

53 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Kiper answered some questions today, and he said the Falcons are horny to move up from 1.16 to lock into a top corner (Henderson). PLEASE.

He also mentioned JAX as ripe for a trade down at 1.9, which should cost us 3.77 and 4.118 to get to, if we wanted to get first choice of the wideouts. For me personally, I’d really be harassing NYJ at 1.11. That should only cost 3.83, and the difference between any of the top 3 isn’t worth the extra jump for me. Ruggs might be my new favourite, actually. For the same reason I was super bullish on Michael Thomas when he came out, Ruggs seems to get the most consistent separation on his outside routes, which I’m very surprised to see. Not that I thought he was strictly a gimmick guy, but I was definitely low on his route-running chops.

I do think Jacksonville at No. 9 and Cleveland at No. 10 are ripe trade partners. If Elway has his heart set on one of the WRs over the others and wants his pick of the lot, I would wager one of those two would be the candidate with whom to execute a trade. 

58 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Don't trade up for a bloody WR - an OT yes - but stay at 15 and take whoever is available - or take BPA and go for the WR in R2 in a deep class.

That's what I've been saying for a while now but I think the handwriting is on the walls that that is not the route we're going. 

Yesterday on Good Morning Football (I love that show) they were talking about the draft, obviously, and one of them, can't remember if it was Kyle or Peter, said he had an NFL FO exec say that the media mock drafts and prospect rankings are as far off as he has ever seen from what he and other execs are thinking.

That leads me to believe we are going to see a lot of surprises this week, tomorrow especially as the majority of the pre-draft talk focuses only on the first round (or, in ESPN's case, only on Tua). It also means there are likely to be a lot of fan base meltdowns on social media and hostile press conferences.