2020 Broncos Forum NFL Draft Thread

BullsandBroncos

17 minutes ago, champ11 said:

If everyone is keeping it a buck, Elway totally screwed Joseph lol. I mean he was incompetent. But there was still no chance he was succeeding. What a disaster the last 4 years have been 

Vance told people after being fired that he didn’t think John had a plan. VJ was a dead end head coach but you can’t blame him too much for what happened to that team. Bad combo of frustrated, declining veterans, no QB and no talented young players brought in for years. 

53 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Now THAT’S someone I would allow to challenge Bolles for his job. He was just okay last year, but has enough track record (without excessive age) that he could regain ‘average starter’ form. 

Side note: we don’t talk about him at all, but what did you guys think of Jake Rodgers’ start in Week 17? I remember watching it and thinking ‘I’ll have to keep my eye on this guy making his first career start,’ but honestly, I completely lost track of him. I think that’s a good thing? He graded out really well in that game, too. He’s 28 without much experience, but I don’t think it’d be crazy if the coaching staff had some faith in him as a swing tackle. 

I only saw a few bits and pieces of that game but what I remember was a few QB killing plays Rodgers allowed. Two times with his back turned to the LOS chasing his guy.

Maybe the rest of the game was great but what I saw was pretty awful.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I thought Rodgers was okay against Detroit but got exposed pretty badly in the last game. 

I remember thinking how badly he'd get beaten once there was some film on him and DC's could get a good look.

8 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I like to tell myself that Vance Joseph was to blame for the 2017 draft and that Elway (who nearly fired him after the first season, remember) took control back in 2018. The 2018 and 2019 drafts were very impressive and 2020 looks good on paper. 

2017 was just the death knell in Elway's flawed 2013-7 Day 1-2 approach. 2013-16 were masked by the team's contention (as a result of the 2011-2 drafts, and the FA / UDFA & Day 3 successes Elway still found - the FA's dried up after Peyton left for 2016-8).  The good news is that Elway's not afraid to change - he changed after 2013's SB loss, and pretty clear his 2017 Day 1-2 philosophy finally got mothballed.

If anything, Elway might have been TOO character/floor based on Day 3 for 2018-9 - not a lot of high-ceiling guys.   As much as I would have done Rd2-4 (except Cushenberry) a little differently - what I like seeing is that Elway's swing-for-fences on Day 3 approach is back.    That approach is not a good Day 2 approach when you take zero-floor, all-tools guys (and really explains a lot of his 2013-7 Day 2 disasters), because you can usually get high-ceiling and decent-floor guys then.   But in Day 3, there are no safe bets.   So going for the home run makes total sense.   

If Elway's able to target actual skills with ceiling on Day 2, and then go with home-run picks Day 3, IMO he's found the ideal draft strategy combo.   2013-7, he was way too ceiling/tools-based, with no actual skills - why Day 2 other than Simmons was a donut, and a lot of Day 1 whiffs (but also why Day 3 picks that hit were big difference makers).  2018-9, Day 2's approach was so much better - but Day 3 seemed too character/skills, with meh talent.   If Elway can keep the home-run approach for Day 3 from 2013-7, but make sure he's got ceiling/skills combo guys on Day 2 from 2018 onwards, IMO that will be the org's best chance to remain in sustained contention.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I hated the Walker and Langley picks. Both were complete WTF reactions from me. I liked the position Henderson played, but not the player, especially after reading that he didn't really know the playbook at La Tech. Wild times.

What really hurt about Henderson was that both Kenny Golladay and Chris Godwin were the BPA's on the board, Henderson was a massive "must-have-speed over skills" approach.   Really hated that - and then double-dipping for the exact same guy with McKenzie 2 rounds later, was mind-boggling.   Again, by itself it wasn't a terrible pick for Rd5 - but to waste the draft capital on 2 guys with literally the same profile...puzzling.  And  Langley...man.

The sobering part about Henderson was that LA Tech WR history of players who go on to be even just starter-level - 0.   Not knowing THEIR playbook should have been a massive flag, given the low baseline success rate lol.  

The one silver lining - 2017 was such an epic disaster that it forced Elway to overhaul his approach completely.   Metrics and skills-based analysis were brought in.  I do think he swung too far the other way in going for skills/character for Day 3 - you need talent that can succeed at the NFL level, just in Day 2 you can find both skills and tools.   Day 3, the home-run talent is worth gambling on.

4 hours ago, champ11 said:

I remember very specifically that people killed the Walker pick immediately. Don't always see that - usually you can spin picks a certain way. This forum did a pretty good job of killing that draft immediately tbh. I remember defending the Henderson and McKenzie picks and people were off those. 

Actually insane that Elway:

1) Gave Vance Joseph the keys

2) Gave Paxton Lynch the keys

3) Had the 2017 draft

And still has a job. I think VERY few GMs in any sport can say they made it through that sort of decision making era. And definitely very few at an organization like this. 

1. Wanted to hire Kyle Shanahan but Eliis blocked the appointment

2. Drafted Lynch but didn't exactly give him the keys

3. That was a bad one.

2 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

1. Wanted to hire Kyle Shanahan but Eliis blocked the appointment

2. Drafted Lynch but didn't exactly give him the keys

3. That was a bad one.

Are you talking about Mike? Kyle was interviewed for the job but Elway had already made up his mind with Vance.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah, RT was a tire fire all season, and it mostly has been for the past six years. Best half the offense played all season was with Ja’Wuan at RT. 

.It affected that entire OL side. Maybe it was just Schlottman getting over his 1st start jitters but I don't think so. He wasn't even average during his other starts but looked pretty good when James played.

Don't get me wrong, I think James is a very good RT, best we've had since Tony Jones. I just have no faith at all in him playing a full season and can't stand the thought of watching Wilkerson there again. 

• Like 1