2020 Broncos Forum NFL Draft Thread

BullsandBroncos

15 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I wouldn't say they "stumbled" into Drew Lock. Rumors abounded for months that he was someone Elway had his eye on for a long time. I found us selecting him to be zero surprise at all. In fact, when we traded down with the Steelers I told the wife that we were going to take Lock at 20. 

Stumbled may have been the wrong word. I have no doubt Elway liked Lock for at least a season before picking him, I meant more in the sense of...a culmination of poor decisions at QB prior to Lock meant we could take him in that draft, and thus far he's shown more promise than other young QBs we've had. The timing worked out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Stumbled may have been the wrong word. I have no doubt Elway liked Lock for at least a season before picking him, I meant more in the sense of...a culmination of poor decisions at QB prior to Lock meant we could take him in that draft, and thus far he's shown more promise than other young QBs we've had. The timing worked out.

Sometimes you need a bit of luck in the draft.

Yes Elway could have tried to trade up and drafted Mahomes - but nine other teams passed on him before the Chiefs picked him, including the Bears who traded up to 1.2 to take Trubisky - and don't forget that the Chiefs did trade up from  1.27 to get him.

28 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I hate to link MHR but Allbright is pretty reliable ... interesting idea here:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/4/30/21242380/maybe-the-broncos-shouldnt-pick-up-bolles-5th-year-option

Any offer that doesn’t start at $10M per ends the conversation. Why on earth would Bolles consider less than Chris Hubbard or Charles Leno money??

24 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Even if Bolles didnt improve a single ounce from last season, getting him on a 3/21M deal would be an absolute steal. Thats good-swing-OT money, not even middle tier starting LT money. I dont know how his agent could sign off on that type of deal. 

Yeah, I think thats a pipe dream, especially with Tunsil just setting the market for LT's at $22 million per year.

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Yeah, I think thats a pipe dream, especially with Tunsil just setting the market for LT's at $22 million per year.

In the last couple of years, guys like Riley Reiff and Eric Fisher have signed for ~$12M per. Those guys strive to be average NFL starters. I don’t think there’s any world you can live in where you value Bolles at less than them (especially *considerably* less than them). Hell, Russell Okung is making $13.25M.

15 minutes ago, champ11 said:

if I were Bolles I would get the hell out of Denver with how he is treated. but he might be oblivious to it. who knows. 

I read somewhere he was getting pretty tired of it. It really hasn't made a difference how he actually plays for quite a while now.. A large majority of fans hate him now regardless.

IMO the only chance we have of Bolles sticking in Denver is the 5th year option and a franchise tag after that. I'd imagine he'd be perfectly happy with Denver in his rearview mirror, flipping off the town as he drives away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

I know @AnAngryAmerican is gonna love this clip:

Honestly awesome interview and insight. I feel like it's pretty rare to get this in-depth of takes from an insider

That’s good stuff. Fangio looked absolutely thrilled after we took Hamler. Looked pissed off at the Day 1 presser, I’m guessing because he wasn’t able to get his guy Queen. 

Allbright has good info but whenever he tries to guess contract value he’s wildly off. That negotiation begins at 3/30. 

Bolles will command an AV in the 12-15M per range. I would wager he gets something around 14M per season. The LT market is just too dry and his durability will be extremely attractive to many teams. 

13 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

CeeDee Lamb wearing the legendary #88 for Dallas. Actually think it’s pretty awesome to have that tradition passed down over the team’s history. 

agreed. the way soccer does numbers is the best, imo.