2020 Broncos Forum NFL Draft Thread

BullsandBroncos

50 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I read somewhere he was getting pretty tired of it. It really hasn't made a difference how he actually plays for quite a while now.. A large majority of fans hate him now regardless.

IMO the only chance we have of Bolles sticking in Denver is the 5th year option and a franchise tag after that. I'd imagine he'd be perfectly happy with Denver in his rearview mirror, flipping off the town as he drives away.

yeah the way he is treated by the fans and media is honestly gross/unfair. we have a pretty enlightened group here, but in general broncos fans can really treat players like crap. i've seen a ton of people talking ish on Chris Harris on twitter. smh

i'd be shocked if Bolles signed an extension. you gotta put yourself around positive energy 

Fans take things too far but Bolles has brought much of this on himself. This is a guy who came into the league at 25 and only seemed to “get it” late in his third year. Prior to that, he never took much accountability for his play, complaining that the refs were targeting him. We consistently heard coaches were struggling to get through to him. I also remember a radio interview with Derek Wolfe last year where he said Bolles, like the rest of the 2017 guys, had a poor attitude early on and did not fit in well with the team.

The issue is how hard it is to find a LT. If he were a guard he would have never lasted this long as a starter. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Fans take things too far but Bolles has brought much of this on himself. This is a guy who came into the league at 25 and only seemed to “get it” late in his third year. Prior to that, he never took much accountability for his play, complaining that the refs were targeting him. We consistently heard coaches were struggling to get through to him. I also remember a radio interview with Derek Wolfe last year where he said Bolles, like the rest of the 2017 guys, had a poor attitude early on and did not fit in well with the team.

The issue is how hard it is to find a LT. If he were a guard he would have never lasted this long as a starter. 

I mean he's made a couple dumb comments to the media. It's not like he deserves to get run out of town for that. Elway made a bad selection in the midst of doing a terrible job. People just need a scapegoat for an abomination of a product on the offensive end and the way the media has treated him as been unreasonably harsh upon reflection. 

10 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I mean he's made a couple dumb comments to the media. It's not like he deserves to get run out of town for that. Elway made a bad selection in the midst of doing a terrible job. People just need a scapegoat for an abomination of a product on the offensive end and the way the media has treated him as been unreasonably harsh upon reflection. 

But it’s not just comments to the media. Coaches and teammates have been constantly frustrated with him too. A guy who comes into the league at 25 shouldn’t take three years to start acting like a professional. And his in-game meltdowns have killed the offense, there’s no way around that. 

All that said, the 5th year option should be picked up. But I wouldn’t extend him until he proves he can get through a season where the on field play, accountability to his team and overall level of professionalism are all improved. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah we're talking about a guy who, on multiple occasions, literally was said to have turned his back and walked away when a coach was trying to talk to him. Unacceptable. 

There’s no doubt he’s been coddled because of how much of an investment they‘ve made in him. His immaturity for an older player is absurd.

Don’t get me wrong, the fan vitriol is over the top. As it always is. But let’s not spin this into a “poor Garett Bolles” thing or act like he should be giving Denver the finger. They wouldn’t have put up with all this garbage if he wasn’t a first rounder.

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

I'm not defending Bolles maturity issues at all. I just think when it comes to absolutely killing the guy it's moreso on the organization that a) drafted him in the first round and b) has not chosen to move on despite these issues that you guys have brought up. 

Honestly just because dude was 25 doesn't mean he has maturity or intelligence. Clearly it was a huge whiff when it comes to drafting based on character + intangibles. 

I just think the criticism is over the top. I mean the whole day post draft was the fan going on about how LT needed to be upgraded. They have a huge influence on the fans. It's messed up how hard they come at the dude. But we can just differ on that and that is fine. 

8 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I'm not defending Bolles maturity issues at all. I just think when it comes to absolutely killing the guy it's moreso on the organization that a) drafted him in the first round and b) has not chosen to move on despite these issues that you guys have brought up. 

Honestly just because dude was 25 doesn't mean he has maturity or intelligence. Clearly it was a huge whiff when it comes to drafting based on character + intangibles. 

I just think the criticism is over the top. I mean the whole day post draft was the fan going on about how LT needed to be upgraded. They have a huge influence on the fans. It's messed up how hard they come at the dude. But we can just differ on that and that is fine. 

But if you’re taking an older player in a sport where youth is REALLY important early in the draft, you expect two qualities: maturity and pro ready skill set. Instead they drafted a guy with a poor attitude and limited football experience. But yeah that falls more on piss poor evaluation, much like Paxton Lynch. Bolles should have never been a first rounder and probably not a second rounder either. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

But if you’re taking an older player in a sport where youth is REALLY important early in the draft, you expect two qualities: maturity and pro ready skill set. Instead they drafted a guy with a poor attitude and limited football experience. But yeah that falls more on piss poor evaluation, much like Paxton Lynch. 

And I think it's what happens when you basically say, "We're taking this position in R1, and this is who we think makes sense." At that point, the scouting operation was also a complete mess from what I recall. I think a lot of factors played into those early drafts about unpreparedness in scouting/drafting, and it's certainly changed over the last 3 years.

14 minutes ago, champ11 said:

The Fan has been off the rails this whole week. And off the rails even for them. The two morning shows in particular. I don't listen to The Drivel Drive because D-Bag  Mac is a Skip Bayless wannabe, always trying to stir the pot, last I listened he was calling the drafting of Chubb a "panic move" by Elway and that we should have taken Josh Allen, who I remember him spending every day absolutely killing the lead-up to the 2018 draft. So i'm not sure what that show has been saying about the draft but given that it's D-Bag Mac and a retired O-lineman (who of course went to CU, which is virtually a requirement to work at The Fan) I cannot imagine it has been kind. 

But anyway, The Fan has been over the top and I don't really understand why. Clough has at least made the point of saying about Jeudy "Love the player, don't like the pick" as he's in the camp of we should have traded up for Wirfs. I think at some point we should have drafted an OT but the fact that we didn't doesn't mean the draft was a disaster. 

8 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

And I think it's what happens when you basically say, "We're taking this position in R1, and this is who we think makes sense." At that point, the scouting operation was also a complete mess from what I recall. I think a lot of factors played into those early drafts about unpreparedness in scouting/drafting, and it's certainly changed over the last 3 years.

I wouldn’t be totally surprised if this was just the front office leaking BS to cover their butts, but I’ve heard frequently that the front office preferred Ramczyk but Mike McCoy (one of the worst OCs in the sport) pounded the table for Bolles. Which would mean they let a coach pick the LT of the future and fired that coach halfway through the season. Just unfathomable incompetence.

Of course this was also the draft where Kollar pounded the table for Walker because Walker told him that he could “wreck **** inside”. And the draft where VJ’s brother Mickey vouched for Carlos Henderson, an absolute mess of a person who has more career arrests for eating weed than catches. I don’t know who wanted Langley, but the guy said he never felt comfortable backpedaling, so holy ****. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

But if you’re taking an older player in a sport where youth is REALLY important early in the draft, you expect two qualities: maturity and pro ready skill set. Instead they drafted a guy with a poor attitude and limited football experience. But yeah that falls more on piss poor evaluation, much like Paxton Lynch. Bolles should have never been a first rounder and probably not a second rounder either. 

The argument made at the time was that we were getting a guy in his prime years.  The flip side of course, is that their success was against guys 3-4 years younger, and not at their prime - and their ceiling would be lower at age 25 than a guy 21-22.     

I'll say it again - what really put Elway in a pinch that year was his lack of willingness to think long-term - which we all get is pretty much his MO.  But it was compounded by him passing on the one LT that would have considered playing for us - Whitworth (who said as much at the time, but Elway also went on record as saying he didn't consider Whitworth because of his age, despite the elite production and only asking for a 2-year deal guaranteed-$ wise).     Maybe we don't get him, but once we whiffed, it put Elway into a position where he forced a LT-ready pick over the guy pretty much everyone else said was the better player - but less clear if he was LT capable (Ramczyk).    

Either way, though, what's done is done.   It's nice to see Elway go for ceiling and change it up - taking a 'Bama player Rd1 was one of the last sacred cows with him - it does speak to his willingness to change as time dictates (sometimes it takes an *** kicking like SEA in SB48, or the 2017 draft overall, to do it, but he's been able to change gears).  Hopefully we see nothing like 2017 ever again. 

Edited by Broncofan

I don’t think they’ll have an entire draft class full of clowns again. Even the guys they pick now who aren’t team captains are hard workers. That said, I’d imagine they’ll continue to increase their risk profile as the team gets better from an athleticism vs. production standpoint, but now avoid the guys who eat weed and break into houses. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

break into houses. 

Chad Kelly really is a pretty sad case. IMO he is just as naturally talented as Lock from a physical standpoint, he just has no control over his emotions and seems to be a really unstable person. I wonder if he has some sort of personality disorder, whether is be something as simple as ADHD or more serious like Bi-Polar. I shouldnt be speculating, just trying to explain to myself how someone with such a great, natural QB skillset couldnt even make it as a higher tier backup. 

4 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Chad Kelly really is a pretty sad case. IMO he is just as naturally talented as Lock from a physical standpoint, he just has no control over his emotions and seems to be a really unstable person. I wonder if he has some sort of personality disorder, whether is be something as simple as ADHD or more serious like Bi-Polar. I shouldnt be speculating, just trying to explain to myself how someone with such a great, natural QB skillset couldnt even make it as a higher tier backup. 

I have to say that I was really rooting for Kelly - the guy had so much potential, but clearly his head was never right. He is on the Colts roster and hopefully he can sort himself out and become a decent pro.