1234567 Curveball Mock

I think all this trade up for a receiver is smoke screen. If Jeudy is still there at 15 then we take him. Otherwise, Denver trades Jacksonville our 15th and 95th picks to jump back to 20 and pick up their 42nd. 

Round 1:

Pick 20 - ILB Kenneth MurrayOklahoma. Was born for Fangio's defense. Future pro-bowler at a position of need. 

Round 2:

Pick 42 - C Cesar Ruiz, Michigan. Elway finally stops messing around and builds an O-line.

Pick 46 - CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State. If he can keep his head screwed on straight off the field, he'll be a perfect fit in Fangio's defense. Pro bowl potential.

Round 3:

Pick 77 - WR Laviska Shenault, Colorado. One of the best wideouts in the entire country in 2018, before having and up and down 2019. Were it not for injury, he would have been an easy first rounder, and reports are that he is nearly 100%. I think he slides because of injury/low 2019 production. This a no-brainer if he's still available. 

PIck 83 - NT DaVon Hamilton, Ohio State. Very dangerous interior pass rusher last year. Biggest knock is that he didn't play much the previous 3 years behind that stacked Ohio State D-line. Had a pretty good senior bowl week as well. 

Round 4:

Pick 118 - OT Ezra Cleveland, Boise State. Very fast and athletic. Got a lot of hype from the combine, but slides because he's physically weak across the board. Needs to really hit the weight room, but could offer some quality depth, or even end up a starting RT someday.

Round 5: 

Pick 178 (Compensatory)  - WR Darrell Mooney, Tulane. Speed demon who plays even faster than his 40 time. Will provide a vertical threat to stretch defenses.

Round 6:

Pick 181 - S Jaylinn Hawkins, California. Denver needs a 3rd safety with the departure of Will Parks.

Round 7: 

Pick 252 - ILB Shaun Bradley, Temple. Speedy linebacker with decent size. Could contribute on ST and add depth.

Pick 254 - G Ben Cleveland, Georgia. Monster that may have been overlooked due to Georgia's ridiculously talented O-line above him on the depth chart. 

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

i think i prefer queen to murray...not sure what the consensus is on that. i just really dont see us going ILB round 1 based on our history. outside of that feedback i think it looks good

Yeah, I debated back and forth on that. I just think Murray has a little more upside. Yeah you may be correct; it's been a while since we drafted ILB in the first. I think he would have a major impact on that defense though and would be a great value at 20. This would basically be a similar version to what we did last year. Trade back, still land a stud, use the extra second to grab another stud. 

14 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Ezra Cleveland is probably going in the first round...

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Hate the first round pick (Murray misses a ton of tackles and doesn’t have linebacker instincts), love everything beyond that. Day 2 haul would be incredible. Ezra Cleveland goes at least 60 picks before 118 though. 

Ezra got a TON of combine hype. But my reasoning is that prior to that, many scouts had him going in the 5-6 round because he's not physically strong enough to play in the NFL yet. I'm banking on him falling back to his original grade once the chips start falling. You guys could be right though; some team might reach. And man, will that be a reach if he goes in the 1st. Yikes.

Like some others have said, not a big Murray fan. I would prefer Queen but IDK if he plays physical enough for Vic. 

Also, agree that Ezra goes much earlier. Replace him with a NFL ready WR in R4 like Tyler Johnson, replace R5 with a developmental OT that will actually be available and its a pretty ideal draft. 

Personally, I am liking the idea of moving down from 1.15 to 1.24 with NO and getting their 2021 1st. They are aggressive dealing picks and I think teams will undervalue 2021 because of the virus potentially affecting the college season 2020/21. Good time to buy low on a future 1st round pick IMO. And I think there is a good chance one of Murray / Queen are available 1.24 and that Brees finally breaks down giving us a potential top-15 pick in 2021. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 2

Can't say I see a lot of immediate help for Lock, especially if Laviska isn't 100% in football shape. Also, not sure Ezra Cleveland lasts to the 4th round, he's been climbing up the draft for a while

Edited by Cutler06

44 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Ezra got a TON of combine hype. But my reasoning is that prior to that, many scouts had him going in the 5-6 round because he's not physically strong enough to play in the NFL yet. I'm banking on him falling back to his original grade once the chips start falling. You guys could be right though; some team might reach. And man, will that be a reach if he goes in the 1st. Yikes.

To me the single most important criteria for an NFL OL guy is he's got to have a lot of fight in him. Call it the "junkyard dog rule".  He's getting ready to make a living out of stepping on the fie;d every Sunday and goin' head to head with some nasty 320 lb guy that's going to be beating on him for 30 minutes.The very best OL guys are not just tough, they actually like it. They're a special kind of maniac and look forward to pounding on D linemen. Legal, recreational assault on every play.

If that's a trait they're lacking I look no further. From everything I've read about Ezra it's a trait he's lacking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Day 1 center and solidifying the interior for Lock would be great.

Yup. When I was watching this year, I took a lot of mental notes. The one thing that I found myself noticing over and over again was our qb's running for their lives and our RB's not having any lanes to run through. That's been the case for several years now and it seems like we always scream about it during the season. But then somehow we all develop amnesia come draft time. All the weapons in the world won't matter if Lock doesn't have time to get them the ball. Bolles improved a lot as the season went on, and Risner is a stud. Drafting Ruiz is a huge upgrade at center, and allows us to keep Glasgow at guard. If James can actually stay on the field this year, we will finally have a decent offensive line for the first time since the Manning days. That's the best gift we could possibly give Drew Lock. And this draft allows us to do that while ALSO getting a handful of total studs in the first two days. If we trade up to 10, all that goes away.

• Like 1