Day 1 Draft Discussion

Ragnarok

4 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

With amazing accuracy, ball placement, ability to read defenses, and the always popular "moxie".  The injury concerns are obviously valid, but let's not act like he's not an elite talent when healthy.  It would be a legit argument at #1 between him and Burrow if he doesn't have the hip injury.

I don't think anyone has doubts about the talent.  It's the two ankle surgeries, the major hip surgery, and the unreported broken wrist while at Bama that drops him who knows how far.  The hits are only going to be bigger in the NFL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't think anyone has doubts about the talent.  It's the two ankle surgeries, the major hip surgery, and the unreported broken wrist while at Bama that drops him who knows how far.  The hits are only going to be bigger in the NFL.

The poster I quoted seemed to, which is why I said it.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Over/Under "technical difficulties" tonight?

I'm actually thinking there will be more gaffes and fewer trades just because of how remote everything will have to be.  Gonna be hard to maximize your time OTC when everyone in your organization has to call everyone else about everything remotely.  It's definitely had the effect of making basic things that rely on communication take longer at my job.

41 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

With amazing accuracy, ball placement, ability to read defenses, and the always popular "moxie".  The injury concerns are obviously valid, but let's not act like he's not an elite talent when healthy.  It would be a legit argument at #1 between him and Burrow if he doesn't have the hip injury.

Nobody said he isn't talented. I just don't understand why people are so eager to take a guy in the top-10 who isn't healthy and hasn't shown he can stay healthy despite having just about everything you could ask for in college to help keep him healthy.

51 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm actually thinking there will be more gaffes and fewer trades just because of how remote everything will have to be.  Gonna be hard to maximize your time OTC when everyone in your organization has to call everyone else about everything remotely.  It's definitely had the effect of making basic things that rely on communication take longer at my job.

Nah, they did a mock sim and things ran smoothly. Trades are happening.

Edited by SteelKing728
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Blue said:

Nobody said he isn't talented. I just don't understand why people are so eager to take a guy in the top-10 who isn't healthy and hasn't shown he can stay healthy despite having just about everything you could ask for in college to help keep him healthy.

I mean, they're also eager to take a guy who hasn't shown he can compete at a higher level or read defenses at all, but ya know...QBs.

• Like 1

It's really not that hard to have multiple conference calls going.  Most GMs will have at least 3.  One with the staff that simulates the traditional war room, one for the official draft selections, and another open for calls/trades.  The last of which can also be facilitated by the war room staff.  Just around my house I have 12 devices I could join a skype/zoom/whatever meeting to do this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

It's really not that hard to have multiple conference calls going.  Most GMs will have at least 3.  One with the staff that simulates the traditional war room, one for the official draft selections, and another open for calls/trades.  The last of which can also be facilitated by the war room staff.  Just around my house I have 12 devices I could join a skype/zoom/whatever meeting to do this.

I know it's not hard, but it does slow things down.  I could see just the extra two minutes it would take to get it done preventing a trade or two.

Just now, Daniel said:

I know it's not hard, but it does slow things down.  I could see just the extra two minutes it would take to get it done preventing a trade or two.

If your devices are already set up and you know who you are contacting, it's more like an extra 20 seconds max.