Day 1 Draft Discussion

Ragnarok

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

Need opinions on the Titans selection of Isaiah Wilson. It’s clear they wanted to trade out of the pick and couldn’t find any partners. Wilson obviously fits what they want to run to a T but I definitely wanted a CB at that spot.

Was higher on Wilson than most.

If you think both that Titans were trying to trade out AND that he's a good fit, then weigh up which of those outdoes the other. 

• Like 2

Wilson is imo perfect for what the Titans do... I was hoping he was gonna slide into day 2 for my Bears... Since Kyle Long became hobbled and then retired we just have no one on our OL that plays "mean" and I'm rather tired of watching "finesse" OL get blown off the ball and running back first contact 4 yards in the backfield.   One of the better picks and team/scheme fits of the first round, imo.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Need opinions on the Titans selection of Isaiah Wilson. It’s clear they wanted to trade out of the pick and couldn’t find any partners. Wilson obviously fits what they want to run to a T but I definitely wanted a CB at that spot.

Derrick Henry will love this pick. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Hasn't shown serious decline?  He's been remarkably human the last two years.  I don't know which Rodgers you've been watching.  Queen was a two-down LB who is going to get ran over in the run game.  I had Blacklock as a guy that I thought the Packers would be interested, but clearly according to Gute Love was the last player they had a first round grades.

Aaron Rodgers has been living off reputation for a long time. Seemingly nobody has been bold enough to suggest as much, other than Bob McGinn once in a while. And McGinn hasn't nearly taken it far enough. Rodgers clearly hasn't lost much if anything physically. But he's not assertive enough. He doesn't seem to value vital possessions and plays as much as he once did. He still says as the right things but it doesn't translate to the field. From a reference point of a Canes fan he basically went from 1983-2002 level Canes swagger to everything from 2005 forth.

I agree that ANY/A is a great statistical category for a quarterback. Many of them are good. Here is a link below where they can be quickly checked. For simplicity purposes I'l post the basic yards per attempt. That is the Bud Goode category, the one he used to jumpstart the clarity toward this matter, that raw yardage isn't as important as passing yards per attempt. Green Bay may have been 13-3 last season but it was an incredibly bogus and unsustainable 13-3. The Yards Per Pass Attempt Differential was a pathetic -.5. That is the relationship between offensive yards per attempt and defensive yards per attempt. It reaches negative territory when the quarterback has mediocre (or worse) numbers and the pass defense is bad. I'll start with that Yards Per Pass Differential so there won't be any more silly nonsense accepting Green Bay as a 13-3 team without recognizing how fragile and fortunate it was:

http://mule.he.net/~budsport/pub/killer.php

Here is Rodgers' career statistical chart:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00.htm

I'll list the unadjusted YPA over the past decade. As I mentioned, all of the adjusted categories are also within that link:

2009: 8.2

2010: 8.3

2011: 9.2

2012: 7.8

2013: 8.7

2014: 8.4

2015: 6.7

2016: 7.3

2017: 7.0

2018: 7.4

2019: 7.0

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Rodgers has been immune from criticism partially because his extremely low interception percentage. Otherwise he has drifted more and more into mediocrity. The numbers since 2015 are even more pedestrian and bordering on pathetic when you realize that yards per attempt is steadily increasing throughout the league due to the pass defense rules and application of them. Rodgers has been going in one direction while the league as a whole has steadily moved in the opposite direction. 

As a Dolphins fan I am incredibly frustrated that Miami did not make the bold futuristic move and take a second swing at an elite quarterback prospect with that 26th pick. We already had Tua and the tackle. Jordan Love was just sitting there. Instead the Dolphins applied dullard mentality and brainstormed that a cornerback and a late 4th round pick were somehow more valuable. 

Kudos to the Packers for making the astute decision. It should serve to wake up Aaron Rodgers and along the line people will realize that Jordan Love's 2018 was far more representative of his true level than all of the nonsense subsequently. In fact if you had relied on draft forums alone Love would have become a 5th round pick.

7 hours ago, Classic said:

Not really. He fills a huge need at LB 

How is Herbert a reach at six? He was routinely mocked as the 3rd QB taken off the board which he was. 

Tons of people had a 2nd Round Grade on Herbert. It doesn’t matter if he was routinely mocked at 6. That’s why he is a reach. 

15 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Aaron Rodgers has been living off reputation for a long time. Seemingly nobody has been bold enough to suggest as much, other than Bob McGinn once in a while. And McGinn hasn't nearly taken it far enough. Rodgers clearly hasn't lost much if anything physically. But he's not assertive enough. He doesn't seem to value vital possessions and plays as much as he once did. He still says as the right things but it doesn't translate to the field. From a reference point of a Canes fan he basically went from 1983-2002 level Canes swagger to everything from 2005 forth.

I agree that ANY/A is a great statistical category for a quarterback. Many of them are good. Here is a link below where they can be quickly checked. For simplicity purposes I'l post the basic yards per attempt. That is the Bud Goode category, the one he used to jumpstart the clarity toward this matter, that raw yardage isn't as important as passing yards per attempt. Green Bay may have been 13-3 last season but it was an incredibly bogus and unsustainable 13-3. The Yards Per Pass Attempt Differential was a pathetic -.5. That is the relationship between offensive yards per attempt and defensive yards per attempt. It reaches negative territory when the quarterback has mediocre (or worse) numbers and the pass defense is bad. I'll start with that Yards Per Pass Differential so there won't be any more silly nonsense accepting Green Bay as a 13-3 team without recognizing how fragile and fortunate it was:

http://mule.he.net/~budsport/pub/killer.php

Here is Rodgers' career statistical chart:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00.htm

I'll list the unadjusted YPA over the past decade. As I mentioned, all of the adjusted categories are also within that link:

2009: 8.2

2010: 8.3

2011: 9.2

2012: 7.8

2013: 8.7

2014: 8.4

2015: 6.7

2016: 7.3

2017: 7.0

2018: 7.4

2019: 7.0

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Rodgers has been immune from criticism partially because his extremely low interception percentage. Otherwise he has drifted more and more into mediocrity. The numbers since 2015 are even more pedestrian and bordering on pathetic when you realize that yards per attempt is steadily increasing throughout the league due to the pass defense rules and application of them. Rodgers has been going in one direction while the league as a whole has steadily moved in the opposite direction. 

As a Dolphins fan I am incredibly frustrated that Miami did not make the bold futuristic move and take a second swing at an elite quarterback prospect with that 26th pick. We already had Tua and the tackle. Jordan Love was just sitting there. Instead the Dolphins applied dullard mentality and brainstormed that a cornerback and a late 4th round pick were somehow more valuable. 

Kudos to the Packers for making the astute decision. It should serve to wake up Aaron Rodgers and along the line people will realize that Jordan Love's 2018 was far more representative of his true level than all of the nonsense subsequently. In fact if you had relied on draft forums alone Love would have become a 5th round pick.

i dont think abyome is saying rodgers is perfect. hes far too safe for my liking and personally i think he more worried aboit throwing an interception tbat would make his personal production look bad than taking a small risk to keep the drive goinf.

BUT, hes unquestionably a top 5-6 qb still.  this wasnt a move that had to be made now, and by doing so they loweres their chances for competing in the present.

2 hours ago, jyod21 said:

I didn't think it was too difficult to understand

That's literally the only thought I ever have about Trung Candidate haha. If I was trying to insult CEH as a player, there were much more comparable bad players I could have used.

Oh well. We all good now.