Paul-Mac's "what I would do" mock

paul-mac

This is my second and final mock. Last week I examined what I believe Elway and co will actually do this week, now I'm posting what I'd do in their shoes.

Note that my picks came as part of a GM mock I did with friends on a small UK forum, so it's all based on who was actually available at the given spots

Round 1, pick #15: CJ Henderson, CB, Florida

A run on receivers and tackles is disappointing for the broncos as their main aims from this offseason are to build an offense to support Drew Lock, but the value isn’t there and Elway’s best results have occurred when he sticks to the best player available approach.

Bryce Callahan missed all of 2019 with injury and the jury is still out on youngster Isaac Yiadom (2018 third round pick) and De’Vaunte Bausby (picked up from the ill fated AAF league). This means that there’s scope for Henderson to come in at corner and make an impact from day 1. His impressive size and speed make him a great fit for Vic Fangio’s defense, and whilst there are legitimate concerns over his tackling ability, putting him in the DB room with AJ Bouye and Kareem Jackson who are two of the league’s best tackling defensive backs is sure to provide him with the mentoring he needs to grow his ability as a tackler.

The Broncos are very excited to land their long term replacement for Chris Harris Jr.

TRADE: Broncos received the 39th and 141st picks from the Miami Dolphins in return for the 46th and 83rd picks

Round 2, pick #39: Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU

After a second run on wideouts kicked off, Denver trades up to get its man, trading away the middle of our 3 third round picks to jump up 7 spots, but getting a late 4th rounder back in return. Reagor is a true deep threat who can be our Tyreek Hill and leverage Drew Lock's cannon arm with Courtland Sutton and Noah Fant providing the safety blankets.

TRADE: Broncos received the 86th and 128th picks from the Buffalo Bills in return for the 77th pick

Round 3, pick #86: Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State

Bills traded up for Zack Moss so I moved back 9 picks and netted a mid-4th. The Broncos already took a CB in round 1 but can’t resist the temptation to further bolster their CB group with Dantzler who they have a very high second round grade on. Getting him a full round later is a pleasant surprise. 

Round 3, pick #95: Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin

The Broncos added Melvin Gordon to bolster their ground game in free agency and they commit to building a power run game by adding another former badger. Denver has lost Matt Paradis and Connor McGovern to the Panthers and Jets respectively in the last two offseasons so they're looking for their third starting center in three years. They like former practice squadder Austin Schlottman and waiver wire pickup Patrick Morris as options to earn the job, but Biadasz will be given every chance to come in and compete with those guys to potentially start on day 1.

Round 4, pick #118: Antoine Brooks Jr, SS, Maryland

Big hitter safety who can directly replace Will Parks as our "moneybacker"

Round 4, pick #128: Gabriel Davis, WR, Central Florida

The jury is still out on Tim Patrick and Dae'Sean Hamilton, so Davis provides another slot WR option. I believe Denver will draft both a deep threat and a possession WR and Davis is a great complement to Jalen Reagor.

Round 4, pick 141: Jack Driscoll, OT, Auburn

New swing tackle, cover for Bolles in his contract year

Round 5, pick #178: Julian Blackmon, FS, Utah

No depth behind Justin Simmons

Round 6, pick #181: McTelvin Agim, DE, Arkansas

Could push Demarcus Walker off the roster

Round 7, pick #252: Qaadir Sheppard, EDGE, Ole Miss

Practice squad fodder

Round 7, pick #254: Cole McDonald, QB, Hawaii

Camp arm

Depth chart

QB: Drew Lock, Jeff Driskell, Brett Rypien

RB: Melvin Gordon, Phillip Lindsay, Royce Freeman

FB: Jeremy Cox

WR: Courtland Sutton, Tim Patrick

WR: Jalen Reagor, Dae'Sean Hamilton

Slot: Gabriel Davis

TE: Noah Fant, Nick Vannett, Troy Fumagalli

LT: Garrett Bolles, Jack Driscoll

LG: Dalton Risner, Austin Schlottman

C: Tyler Biadasz, Patrick Morris

RG: Graham Glasgow

RT: Ja'Wuan James, Elijah Wilkinson

DE: Jurell Casey, Joel Heath, McTelvin Agim

NT: Shelby Harris, Mike Purcell

DE: Dre'Mont Jones, Demarcus Walker

OLB: Von Miller, Malik Reed

ILB: Alexander Johnson, Joe Jones

ILB: Todd Davis, Josey Jewell

OLB: Bradley Chubb, Jeremiah Attaochu, Justin Hollins

CB: AJ Bouye, Cameron Dantzler

CB: CJ Henderson, De'Vante Bausby

Nickel: Bryce Callahan, Isaac Yiadom

FS: Justin Simmons, Julian Blackmon

SS: Kareem Jackson, Antoine Brooks Jr

K: Brandon McManus

P: Sam Martin

LS: Wes Farnsworth

Really like it. I would prefer a trade down in R1 to get Fulton rather than CJ, better scheme fit IMO. But love the middle and late round talent. Blackmon is a favorite of mine, especially with his experience at CB. Love the secondary emphasis, I think that's a group that is right behind WR in missing depth and proven talent. Think both the OL adds are the types of try hard guys that will find a way to last in this league, albeit Driscoll may be limited to a swing ala Chris Clark. 

I think Gabriel Davis is best used as an outside target, but that's just a depth chart issue. If we go 3 wide, IMO Sutton or Raegor would pivot into the slot. 

Nice work, but again I would try to deal down for Fulton. Maybe target a 2021 future pick? 

CJ Henderson is not a player that Denver target. His tackles are too bad. Fangio like a tackling machine.

Denver want to add a 2nd rounder . Trade up is a smokescreen and cost too many picks.

PFN Mock draft

DEN    16.Henry Ruggs III WR Alabama After trade down to 26 and collect a 2rd round (and more) i jump to 16 and send a 1st rounder 2021 (assuming PO and no better than 21th pick). I select a speedster. He can score everywhere on the field. If Ruggs wasn't there at 16 i let the draft go 26 and take Patrick Queen)

DEN    39 Jaylon Johnson CB Utah .Little surprise i thought he was a low 1st round

DEN    56.Lloyd Cushenberry C LSU . I wanted Prince Tega Wanogho but he was draft by Colts at 44#. With this pick Glasgow can play Right Guard.

DEN    77.Logan Wilson ILB Wyoming. We need to adress the position since 5 years. He's a 3 down LB who can play SAM and MIKE and progress each years

DEN    83.Troy Pride Jr. CB Notre Dame. Thin at position he can be a slot corner

DEN    95.Tyler Biadasz C Wisconsin. I take the BPA. Yes i draft Cushenberry but too good to pass on a productive player

DEN    118.Jordyn Brooks OLB Texas Tech. Great skill and instincts. Speed is not a probleme. He can play in fangio style

DEN    178.Khalil Davis DT Nebraska. A man who can surprise everybody. He has the tools and need to believe in his potentiel

DEN    181.Antoine Brooks Jr. S Maryland. My favorite pick. I think it is a steal at 181. Great vision play hard and passion. Explosive

DEN    252. Sewo Olonilua RB TCU. A good player who i cannot let go

DEN    254. Cody White WR Michigan State. A  bet. He has the tool to be a productive 3rd WR....

Edited by French Fan

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I love watching Raegor he looks smooth

I think the more I’ve watched him recently, the more I noticed just how bad Duggan was last year, which increases my appreciation for Reagor. A month ago, he was a ‘yeah I guess if he’s there at 2.46,’ but now I’d be more than willing to move up into the mid 30’s for him. You’re right, incredibly smooth.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Really like the Dantzler pick but two CB's with the 1st 3 picks ??? We're not that bad at the CB position to do that unless you're counting out Callahan. 

TBH there was a bit of a collapse in the board before my 3rd round and Dantzler was a BPA pick. 

IMO nothing wrong with taking 2 CB in our first 3 picks if the 2nd one is clear BPA, and Dantzler likely would be at that point. 

AJ may be a stopgap and was pretty poor last season, Bausby's play could be a fluke and he is coming off a huge injury, Callahan is a NB only and may never be the same after missing a year. Then there are a bunch of young guys that are unproven journeymen. This team could use two top-100 prospect CB's IMO, as long as we are going with value not reach. 

21 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

I'm sure Shurmer AND Lock would approve.....I feel we NEED  2 WR's more than 2 CB's right now. I do agree you have to go by the flow of the draft but just sayin' . And Dantzler at 86 would be great value IMO.

Agreed... that's why I gave us two of each ;)

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

I'm sure Shurmer AND Lock would approve.....I feel we NEED  2 WR's more than 2 CB's right now. I do agree you have to go by the flow of the draft but just sayin' . And Dantzler at 86 would be great value IMO.

Can't count on Callahan and you also can't count on Yiadom. Pretty even need to me.