Ravens Rundown: Week 3 2017

drd23

With this FO a top4 pick would certainly not be used for a qb as they seem content with Flacco. Did he ever publicly receive criticism? I mean 8-18/28yds/2int would result in the benching of most starting qbs i believe. Lets be real, Ozzie, Harbaugh and Flacco share one fate. Its either none or all of them leaving/getting canned.

Haven't seen the games, but listening to podcast on my way home from work, it seems more than a handful of QB's had bad or worse performances this round. Seems like Chargers, Giants, Raiders, Panthers, Browns also need to bench their starting QB.

I'll say this: Mallett looked quicker with his throws in the 4th quarter than Flacco did all game. Like I said before Joe is shell-shocked. Rightfully so with that terrible offensive line, but a quality NFL QB should be able to get over it. He can't. And won't, because we all know what kind of player Flacco is. From here on out we pretty much have to hope the opposing pass-rush is having a bad day. On neutral footing Baltimore's offensive line is going to fail, and Joe knows they're going to fail, and retreats into his shell with quick passes to the backs/tight ends and bad reads leading to interceptions.

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

I'll say this: Mallett looked quicker with his throws in the 4th quarter than Flacco did all game. Like I said before Joe is shell-shocked. Rightfully so with that terrible offensive line, but a quality NFL QB should be able to get over it. He can't. And won't, because we all know what kind of player Flacco is. From here on out we pretty much have to hope the opposing pass-rush is having a bad day. On neutral footing Baltimore's offensive line is going to fail, and Joe knows they're going to fail, and retreats into his shell with quick passes to the backs/tight ends and bad reads leading to interceptions.

I was shocked at how slow and indecisive Joe looked. I mean, he's been stiff and hesitant in the first two games (to be expected, given his injury and lack of pre-season), but this was just another level. Does he miss Yanda that much? Is he that convinced that the O-line can't protect him? I mean, they couldn't, but he did little to try to protect himself.

We know Mallet is not the answer. He might look okay in very limited action, against backups, but he is not a good QB. He will lose games, far more consistently than Joe will. Not signing Kaepernick is looking more and more like a bad decision now, because at least he has the mobility to get away from passrushers.

Love it. All offseason the OLine was going to keep this offense, and Flacco, from doing anything. That turns out to be true. Now it's Flacco's fault.

i saw some posts dismissing the argument that Flacco could succeed with a good OL. Which has pretty much been proven when he did have one and had the best post season ever. Or in 2014 when he had a great season and was a ball hair away from taking us back to the Super Bowl. 

11 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Love it. All offseason the OLine was going to keep this offense, and Flacco, from doing anything. That turns out to be true. Now it's Flacco's fault.

i saw some posts dismissing the argument that Flacco could succeed with a good OL. Which has pretty much been proven when he did have one and had the best post season ever. Or in 2014 when he had a great season and was a ball hair away from taking us back to the Super Bowl. 

I think the Flacco of old could succeed with good enough blocking and mediocre weapons. That's not debatable because it is how it went. This version of Flacco? He's a shell of himself with mostly the bad parts as the remnants. I'm not sure it's all on the blocking. We should really, really hope it is but at this point I'm done with the benefit of the doubt. Joe needs to look like an NFL QB first. Which he hasn't for the first three games of the season, not just this past week. 

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

I think the Flacco of old could succeed with good enough blocking and mediocre weapons. That's not debatable because it is how it went. This version of Flacco? He's a shell of himself with mostly the bad parts as the remnants. I'm not sure it's all on the blocking. We should really, really hope it is but at this point I'm done with the benefit of the doubt. Joe needs to look like an NFL QB first. Which he hasn't for the first three games of the season, not just this past week. 

He could have made 20 throws in the Jaguars game, and every single one of them would have been a gamble. Nothing where open, and noone disagrees, that he also did poorly on the very few that where open. However, it took one game, 1 game, to remove every single argument that has been made about Flacco this year and previous years.

Oline was an issue already before TC, now it is even worse - but yeah, Flacco is a shell of himself.

Joe was injured all TC, he has to gel with receivers and tight ends and get some reps - but no, thats not an excuse when you lose to Jaguars in London (although the entire team also played like crap

Joe needs a running game to set up the play action fake to succeed - but when Jaguars don't respect the run and no receivers are open, it is Flaccos fault (somehow).

Something about playcalling.

I am looking forward to Ken McCusicks breakdown of the offense, because Flacco most likely missed something I didn't see from the stands, but to pinpoint this loss on him is wrong. You guys act like the level of play is a static. If we fail to make adjustments on both offense and defense, then we can began doubting coaching and players, but so far this is an outlier where everything went wrong.

You guys keep ignoring just HOW bad several other QB's played this week and this season in general. Eli in Giants is on his heels and can't get his weapons the ball, Rivers turns the ball over 3-5 times a game trying to make something out of nothing, Cam Newtons exotic Panthers offense isn't that exotic, and the AJ Green, Joe Mixon, Gio Bernard, Eifert, Dalton and the straight liner John Ross also can't do anything. 

I had a thought the other day about our WRs getting open. Do you think any of it has to do with their lack of faith in the QB, play calling, and O-line? Maybe they don't give 100% effort on most of these plays because they don't expect the ball to be there. I think big time WRs have come out and said it is not only not possible but not advisable to give 100% on every play and they typically only really go all out on some plays when they may be getting the ball.

I have noticed other WRs come to this team, including 10+ years ago, who had success on their previous teams and then nothing here (back when we had even worse QB play). I want to say Kevin Johnson who had decent success before the Ravens and then fizzled with us, though I don't think he was much of a separation guy anyway. Lee Evans another one.

Also, as to Flacco. I generally like and support him as our QB but I have been saying for years I don't think he has the drive to be great. He very much seems like a 9-5er and it certainly looked like he gave up in London. It sort of makes sense when it comes to his epic playoff/Superbowl run. He is in his contract year, he's in the playoffs, now its time for him to burn the candle at both ends, work his tail off, and he was wildly successful. How much effort does he put in the rest of the year/season? He may very well be content balancing his family life with being a solid quality and overly paid QB.

11 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Who's to say that 2017 Flacco is as good as 2012 Flacco or 2014 Flacco.  I'm not even going to consider SB-run Flacco because to hold him to that standard is unreasonable for basically any QB.

Its not that unusual that players aren't as good after such a significant injury.  And I don't think we've seen anything from him since his ACL tear to make me believe that he can get back to 2012 or 2014 form.

8 hours ago, Danand said:

To be fair, I don't know if there are more than a handful of guys in the league who could think up something like that on the spot. Alas, that is why the Patriots continue to play chess while the rest of the league plays checkers.

Archived