Joe Thomas Gives April ALL-22 Synopsis of the 4 Highly Debated Tackles' Play

Mind Character

Joe's Takes  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is Joe Thomas' take on 1a.) Mekhi Becton, 1b.) Jedrick Wills Jr., 3.) Andrew Thomas, 4.) Tristan Wirfs Mostly Right or Wrong?

• He's mostly wrong, he's off on this one
    • He's mostly right, for the most part I think he sees it clearly
  2. 2. 1) Does Mekhi Becton's positive drug test at the NFL Combine Drop him out of the top 10 if he was going top 10 in the first place? 2.) Do the Browns have plans to take him?

• 1.) No, it changes nothing for teams., & 2.) I don't think the Browns ever had plans to take him
    • 1.) No, it changes nothing for teams, & 2.) I think the Browns still have plans to take him
    • 1.) Yes, it changes things for teams, & 2.) Though I don't think the Browns ever had plans to take him
    • 1.) Yes, it changes things for teams, & 2.) I think the Browns no longer have plans to take him.
  3. 3. Do you think that the Browns asked Joe to give his opinion on the Tackles before the draft?

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

After reading JT, I think he's evaluating them strictly off of potential of who they could/should be in sheer physical skills and truly undervaluing their "floors". 

TBH, I don't know how more people don't have Thomas as OT #1 (and @Mind Character I understand the Wills argument/wouldn't argue with it as I think he's arguably #1 as well, albeit I like Thomas more).

I personally believe that Thomas goes Top 5 and he's the prospect that goes high that every other pundit and casual fan has undervalued.

Yup, I'll genuinely be surprised if Thomas is available at 10. If he is, then we'd be foolish not to take him.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

Thing that would worry me is work ethic/ motivation. Those things are EXTREMELY difficult to overcome and change in people. If they guy is motivated and really wants it, he can certainly improve conditioning and technique just by putting a lot of time and practice into it. 

See if he were a sloppy mess at his weight I would tend to lean more that way but he’s not, for how heavy he is he still looks very proportionate to his body. And we don’t k ow that Louisville didn’t want him heavier either

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If being a former player meant you knew what you were looking at with any level of authority, all GM’s would be former players and they wouldn’t miss half the time.

Where are the people that go, " Oh boy! Wowee! look at this ... it's a former player giving their evaluation ... therefore it must be taken as gospel and expert truth?"

It's not that hard to be remain skeptical, be aware of the power of confirmation bias, aggregate draft analyst opinion to get a picture of consensus evaluations and perspectives.

It's more so about the quality, expertise, and thoughtfulness of the evaluation rather than the occupation of the evaluator ... and even then it's about aggregating a litany of opinions to get a more accurate picture on things.

Every single time a "former player" or whoever says something, it's easier to dismiss it out of hand and say "what the heck do they know being a former player doesn't mean much at all," than it is to evaluative the quality of their analysis and weigh it against the host of other evaluations out there.

11 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Where are the people that go, " Oh boy! Wowee! look at this ... it's a former player giving their evaluation ... therefore it must be taken as gospel and expert truth?"

you are using their opinions as validations of your own.

It's not that hard to be remain skeptical, be aware of the power of confirmation bias, aggregate draft analyst opinion to get a picture of consensus evaluations and perspectives.

I’m aware.

It's more so about the quality, expertise, and thoughtfulness of the evaluation rather than the occupation of the evaluator ... and even then it's about aggregating a litany of opinions to get a more accurate picture on things.

It’s also about the fact it’s just an opinion, regardless as to how thoughtful or wordy.

Every single time a "former player" or whoever says something, it's easier to dismiss it out of hand and say "what the heck do they know being a former player doesn't mean much at all," than it is to evaluative the quality of their analysis and weigh it against the host of other evaluations out there.

I’m not dismissing his opinion, I’m just not using some other dudes opinions to validate my own thoughts.

• Like 1

I’m not even saying these you/these guys are wrong, just that digging your heels in and continuing to tell everyone that Wirfs is a guard and not a tackle when there’s no proof either way is simply tedious.

Maybe he is, maybe isn’t capable of playing tackle.  Maybe we’ll find out.  But continuing to tell us what DJ or Thomas thinks to support your opinion isn’t turning that opinion into a fact any quicker.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not even saying these you/these guys are wrong, just that digging your heels in and continuing to tell everyone that Wirfs is a guard and not a tackle when there’s no proof either way is simply tedious.

Maybe he is, maybe isn’t capable of playing tackle.  Maybe we’ll find out.  But continuing to tell us what DJ or Thomas thinks to support your opinion isn’t turning that opinion into a fact any quicker.

I’ve said all along, the dude could probably be a great guard. He might end up playing guard right away. But the guy can play tackle and he fits our scheme perfectly. That’s why he’s the #2 tackle on the browns draft board. 

Just now, pnies20 said:

I’ve said all along, the dude could probably be a great guard. He might end up playing guard right away. But the guy can play tackle and he fits our scheme perfectly. That’s why he’s the #2 tackle on the browns draft board. 

I’ve been of the belief I have no gd idea what the kid can do, but he checks every box as far as prospect.  Not to say he’s a perfect prospect, just that he has the tools to succeed.

Ive also said that if a guy is supposedly an elite, HOF type talent at G he can probably play tackle fairly well too. I get there are nuances to each position, but it’s not like asking him to play WR or some ish, the jobs are pretty similar.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve been of the belief I have no gd idea what the kid can do, but he checks every box as far as prospect.  Not to say he’s a perfect prospect, just that he has the tools to succeed.

Ive also said that if a guy is supposedly an elite, HOF type talent at G he can probably play tackle fairly well too. I get there are nuances to each position, but it’s not like asking him to play WR or some ish, the jobs are pretty similar.

And.... the guy played OT at a high level his whole college career...

• Like 1

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

We're doing all of this bickering about who is the best OT and might not even be in position to draft him even at #10.

Yeah, I’m marrying myself more to the idea of a trade back with ATL/DEN at 15/16 with Thomas and Wills gone.

As long as it’s Jackson or an elite player and not Cleveland, I’ll be happy.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, I’m marrying myself more to the idea of a trade back with ATL/DEN at 15/16 with Thomas and Wills gone.

As long as it’s Jackson or an elite player and not Cleveland, I’ll be happy.

What don't you like about Cleveland? I have never watched him so I don't have much of an opinion either way about him. From what I've read, he sounds like he has potential based on his tools, but that he hasn't necessarily proven to be a great player. Either way I'll be disappointed if we miss out on the top four tackles.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

After reading JT, I think he's evaluating them strictly off of potential of who they could/should be in sheer physical skills and truly undervaluing their "floors". 

TBH, I don't know how more people don't have Thomas as OT #1 (and @Mind Character I understand the Wills argument/wouldn't argue with it as I think he's arguably #1 as well, albeit I like Thomas more).

I personally believe that Thomas goes Top 5 and he's the prospect that goes high that every other pundit and casual fan has undervalued.

For the Browns, here is how I have the tackles rated:

1. Thomas

2a. Becton

2b. Wills

3. Wirfs

I am not very low on Wirfs, I'm just very high on Becton and think he could flourish (as JT put it) under Callahan. I'm honestly okay with any of them but I prefer any of the top 3. Andrew Thomas is a no brainer for me at #10.

Edited by Vee-Rex