THE Official #FireDoug Thread

Danger

Lombardi is a tool bag idiot. 

Ive listened to every GM street podcast this year pretty much. Not because I like his opinions. But because I always want to hear what he says about the Eagles. And all year, after every big Eagles win, he literally just gives credit to every guy on the team and in the FO EXCEPT for Doug. 

Not only that, but all he does is slobber over the Patriots. Like I'm 99% sure that he is in love with Bill Belichick. Romantic and all. 

Any time they talk about a team and what they did wrong it's always

"YA KNOW IF BILL BELICHICK WAS COACHING THIS BROWNS TEAM THEY WOULD ABSOLUTELY GO 16-0 AND NOT 0-16"

The dude was a horrible GM and executive. When he was in New England he was just a yes man to his boyfriend. 

*Note I haven't listened to last night's podcast. But I saw on his Twitter that "Eagles fans will want to listen to it". So maybe he finally admits that he actually said one of the dumbest things ever by any former GM or whatever. And I love how when you check his Twitter comments, they're all people calling him out about Pederson and he hasn't once responded. 

It was a half hearted admission. He says he was wrong and then goes on to give credit to Schwartz for coaching a hell of a defense and says we'll see what they do in the second round of the playoffs as if he's trying to leave his window open to say "I told ya so".

55 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

It was a half hearted admission. He says he was wrong and then goes on to give credit to Schwartz for coaching a hell of a defense and says we'll see what they do in the second round of the playoffs as if he's trying to leave his window open to say "I told ya so".

Yea. He's like, I was wrong but I don't know how wrong. If someone wronged you, and gave you that apology, you'd slap the teeth out his mouth. 

I crushed Doug earlier this year for bone-headed decisions. I don't think he's exactly above those decisions. He'll make his share. I completely doubted his intelligence though, still do a bit. But I didn't put his football intelligence into the equation. There's something to be said about a guy that has played and coached at pretty much every level of play and the experience and wealth of knowledge you get from that. He's used all that to navigate his way through some growing pains as well as some disaster injuries. Doug has garnered some equity with me. I can't say I won't complain about some in game calls but I'll definitely be giving him some more leash from now on. Dog reference and all. 

Speaking of, how coincidental that we were on the Doug the Dog, Dog Pederson, Doug Poodleson before all this dog stuff? 

53 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Yea. He's like, I was wrong but I don't know how wrong. If someone wronged you, and gave you that apology, you'd slap the teeth out his mouth. 

I crushed Doug earlier this year for bone-headed decisions. I don't think he's exactly above those decisions. He'll make his share. I completely doubted his intelligence though, still do a bit. But I didn't put his football intelligence into the equation. There's something to be said about a guy that has played and coached at pretty much every level of play and the experience and wealth of knowledge you get from that. He's used all that to navigate his way through some growing pains as well as some disaster injuries. Doug has garnered some equity with me. I can't say I won't complain about some in game calls but I'll definitely be giving him some more leash from now on. Dog reference and all. 

Speaking of, how coincidental that we were on the Doug the Dog, Dog Pederson, Doug Poodleson before all this dog stuff? 

I'm basically in the same boat. I've crapped on Doug since the hire was made.  I actually don't disagree with Lombardi's take that he's probably the most unqualified HC to ever be given a job.  Realistically, he had 3 years of pro coaching experience before becoming a HC, that's not much at all and with Andy Reid there, it wasn't like he was even calling the plays.  On paper, he was woefully under-qualified. 

I also still don't think Doug is very smart, I'll just never be able to get over his comments after the KC loss to NE in the playoffs. It is clear that he has a good rapport with the players and an ability to get the most out of them and this team is as well-prepared as any we've ever seen.  Lombardi giving praise to Schwartz and not Doug is pathetic, because at the end of the day, Pederson assembled the coaching staff and deserves credit for that as well.  We had this same debate before with Reid/JJ, but if you're a smart enough HC to realize someone can do a better job calling the defense, than you deserve praise for realizing that and not letting your ego get in the way.  I give him a ton of props for the success of the Eagles this year, and I'm happy to say he has proven me wrong thus far.

2 hours ago, BLick12 said:

I also still don't think Doug is very smart, I'll just never be able to get over his comments after the KC loss to NE in the playoffs.

I'm only picking this out because I don't disagree with the rest of it. But don't you think it's a bit harsh to judge his intelligence based on one comment? I think it's very clear Doug just wasn't media savvy. His press conferences have been much better and he appears much more confident this year than last. Of course, winning makes it easier. But even then, learning to talk about your team after a loss is a learned skill too. Smart people say stupid things all the time. All people say stupid things all the time. Making a judgment call about someone's intelligence based on one comment is too harsh for me IMO particularly in light of Doug appearing more confident in front of the camera this year.

28 minutes ago, Phire said:

I'm only picking this out because I don't disagree with the rest of it. But don't you think it's a bit harsh to judge his intelligence based on one comment? I think it's very clear Doug just wasn't media savvy. His press conferences have been much better and he appears much more confident this year than last. Of course, winning makes it easier. But even then, learning to talk about your team after a loss is a learned skill too. Smart people say stupid things all the time. All people say stupid things all the time. Making a judgment call about someone's intelligence based on one comment is too harsh for me IMO particularly in light of Doug appearing more confident in front of the camera this year.

If it was just one comment, I would agree. Hell, I say plenty of stupid crap every day and I do that without a million cameras in my face.  But it wasn't one comment. He defended it again in his press conference after the Eagles hired him.  To this day, it still makes absolutely no sense.

EDIT: And it isn't necessarily even just the comment, but that's also exactly how the Chiefs executed that drive. They went slowly and milked the clock while down by two scores.... "because they didn't want to give Tom Brady the ball back."  If any coach did/said that here in Philly, I'd want them fired on the spot.

Archived