THE Official #FireDoug Thread

Danger

If you've watched football for a little while I don't know how you can justify some of Doug's decisions. Especially some of the vets like, @babyatemydingo. I understand being occasionally questioned on some things. But some of his bafoonery is amazing to me. 4th and 8 and you consult your analytics guy whether or not you should go for it? What, bro? The Giants are a sieve against the run and they came out passing. And unsuccessfully at that. Blount is averaging 5 yards a carry and you don't ride him. I don't get it. There's just too much evidence against him. I don't think you can just say, "He's the guy" because we happen to be 2-1 and has moderate success so far. You take the guy as the leader and decision maker for the team. And he's had multiple questionable decisions. Absolute head scratchers. Maybe the jury is slightly still out but the blunders should be signaling red flags. 

I think doug was always a short term answer...but I'm not for firing him midseason

The question is how do you get rid of him and keep Schwartz as DC, he doesnt need to be a Head Coach again.

We have plenty to lure a good coach here now...maybe next offseason we go fishing.

On ‎09‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, Jroc04 said:

If you've watched football for a little while I don't know how you can justify some of Doug's decisions. Especially some of the vets like, @babyatemydingo. I understand being occasionally questioned on some things. But some of his bafoonery is amazing to me. 4th and 8 and you consult your analytics guy whether or not you should go for it? What, bro? The Giants are a sieve against the run and they came out passing. And unsuccessfully at that. Blount is averaging 5 yards a carry and you don't ride him. I don't get it. There's just too much evidence against him. I don't think you can just say, "He's the guy" because we happen to be 2-1 and has moderate success so far. You take the guy as the leader and decision maker for the team. And he's had multiple questionable decisions. Absolute head scratchers. Maybe the jury is slightly still out but the blunders should be signaling red flags. 

He is not the best coach in the league.

The 4th-and-8 decision was absolutely atrocious.  But, that's one call.

There has been a lot said about personnel decisions, particularly in the draft, too.  Is every pick supposed to be the perfect one?

I get that trading up for Pumphrey was not ideal.  Every coach does that, however.

Kelly traded up in the 4th for Barkley.  Reid traded up in the 4th for Jean-Gilles.  It is more the norm. that it happens.

Sometimes you play at the opponent's weakness.  Sometimes you go with your strength.

The Eagles are a better passing team than a run one, particularly with Sproles out now.

I just don't think there is anywhere near enough evidence three games into his second season to say he can't coach.

I may feel differently 10 games into the season, but for now many people are just jumping the gun.

Remember, this talk started before the season.

29 minutes ago, babyatemydingo said:

He is not the best coach in the league.

The 4th-and-8 decision was absolutely atrocious.  But, that's one call.

There has been a lot said about personnel decisions, particularly in the draft, too.  Is every pick supposed to be the perfect one?

I get that trading up for Pumphrey was not ideal.  Every coach does that, however.

Kelly traded up in the 4th for Barkley.  Reid traded up in the 4th for Jean-Gilles.  It is more the norm. that it happens.

Sometimes you play at the opponent's weakness.  Sometimes you go with your strength.

The Eagles are a better passing team than a run one, particularly with Sproles out now.

I just don't think there is anywhere near enough evidence three games into his second season to say he can't coach.

I may feel differently 10 games into the season, but for now many people are just jumping the gun.

Remember, this talk started before the season.

Doug is not making personel decisions. No way. Those blunders are on Howie and Joe. And roster mistakes, particularly drafting, is more forgiveable. It's more comparable to a crapshoot than an exact science. Coaching, however, has a more structured approach dusted with some gut feelings. Far from exact but good coaching, especially gameday, can be almost textbook. 

Doug has been blundering since his days in KC. This isn't new. Running clock against NE down 2 scores because you think getting an onsides kick was "better then giving the ball back to Brady". Running a reverse last year with Carson as your lead blocker a play after he came back from concussion protocol. Challenging a play to question the field position to make it 3rd and 6 instead of 3rd and 8. Not running, at all in tightly contested battles. Giving the Giants a half of field twice in a tightly contested battle, along with going for a 4th and 8. He's consulting with analytics guys during games instead of his actual OC. Giving way too much control to Duce with this dumb RB rotation. Really the list is very long after not even 2 years. Plenty of evidence that even the easiest of calls give him fits. 

It's not like we even know we can't run the ball. He doesn't commit to it. I could be mistaken but the Cowboys run Zeke at least 20 times a game even though i hasn't been uber successful this year. It's football gospel; you run during the game, successful or not so the defense respects it. It sets up a tired defense late in the game and improves your passing game with play actions and hesitant LBs and DBs. I don't think I have to explain football 101 to you. 

It may be "jumping the gun". But for now, I analyze what he produces. This isn't a trust game. I don't have time (nor does Carson) for him to learn on the job. And he hasn't produced a game where he exacts confidence to me. There's always a couple easy decisions that he fouls up. Somethings that are going to cost us games in the future. Decisions that more cerebral coaches wouldn't dare. 

On 9/24/2017 at 6:47 PM, babyatemydingo said:

Yes, every call he makes is wrong.

He's responsible for all of the negative carries and turnovers.

All of the first downs, scoring plays and the 2-1, division leading record are due to something else.

Typical Philly, talk radio inspired nonsense.

I am not saying that he's the messiah, but there is nothing to warrant his firing at this point.

Look I've made my feeling known about Dougy the Moron since the day he was hired but what Dingo said above applies. You all are so trigger happy with firing and cutting people it's absurd. This quick fix mentality is absurd.

As I mentioned in another thread the last thing we need to do is play Musical Chairs at HC! Thats how you become the Browns!! Last thing Wentz needs is to learn a new Playbook in only his 3rd season. Fire all of his support system (HC, OC, QB Coach) helping advance his progression because a New Coaching Staff is hired. Least of all for Jim Schwartz or God forbid some Tom Coughlin type Firing/hiring of Macadoo?

Now if after his 3rd season this Team, Carson Wentz and the Eagles in general haven't shown massive strides towards a SB contender by all means start looking for his replacement. But not after 19 Friggen games!! You guys were happy with the Potential of a Andy 2.0 after Chip. I'm not sure why any of you are surprised now by history repeating itself unless most of you were to young really to remember the early years of the Fatman? Situations are very similar.

Let it play out. 4 Now!!

I don't want to hear, "Let it play out". Why? For what reason? Every decision Doug makes is an ongoing, proof building case for or against his hiring. I don't have to wait and then maybe magically he puts it together. If I buy a lemon car and the car keeps giving proof positive that it's a lemon, do I take it back to the dealer or do I ride it out and hope it gets better? Doug is a lemon. The more I see, the less I like. And frankly, I'd like my money back. We are in no position to "let it play out". Why? Why do we owe it to Doug? I want results. This is the NFL. We could have a list of candidates, better ones, to take this job tomorrow. I see complete blunders I shouldn't be seeing from an NFL coach and if maybe not now, soon he's going to cost us wins. 

But herein lies the problem:

This organization was decimated by Chip. I do have to give it to Chip, though. He boss walked into Lurie's office and demanded power and got it. He took control, implemented his "culture" and did it his way. If it wasn't going to work, it would be because he failed. Not some varying differences between men struggling for power swings. But it failed and left this organization smoldering. And the Jeff get scared. He is/was so castrated by Chip's iron fist that he went back to his comfy place. His new version of Andy. But better. A controllable Andy. An Andy that is just happy for the opportunity and won't make waves. We didn't get a coach eager and hungry to win and prove himself like other young coaches. We got a coach for a job that people were turned off to have. Because Jeff and Howie were frightened to perhaps hire someone that would challenge them. They needed a coach that is a company boy. And that left us with Doug. A go with the flow, unqualified, limited, faded carbon copy of a predecessor that Jeff found success in. And he's trying to repeat that. Doug isn't exactly to blame in this mishiring. But it doesn't mean he was the right hire. And certainly doesn't mean I have to sit and wait to see him fail, ultimately. I've seen enough already. 

No to Schwartz and Pederson as the HCotF.

Coaches are either out-thinking themselves constantly or not adapting when situations call for it. 

He's clearly a coach who isn't afraid to take chances. 

I really think he should relinquish his play-calling duties but that's why he's here. He's not a leader of men, allowing men to play within themselves at the same time getting guys to give maximum effort plus some. 

I'd rather be in a Mike Tomlin/Pittsburgh situation, a OC and DC on staff with a proven track record. A heady head coach who will take chances but has all the intangibles to lead and win. 

• 1 month later...

Archived