Steelers 2020 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

bigben07MVP

With the draft coming up in two days, I couldn't help but go ahead and make the discussion thread. I expect the discussion thread in the NFL Draft forum will become too cluttered so I will most likely be hanging out here throughout the entire draft and hopefully all you guys will join me. 

Draft picks

Thursday April 23:

Round 1, selection 18: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Safety Alabama

Friday April 24:

Round 2, selection 49
Round 3, selection 102 (compensatory)

Saturday April 25:

Round 4, selection 124
Round 4, selection 135 (from Miami, from Tennessee)
Round 6, selection 198
Round 7, selection 232

Players I will be crossing my fingers to not get selected each pick leading up to ours. Barring a Decastro like fall, these are the guys I realistically could see falling to us in an unpredictable draft this year. These are probably the only guys that would prevent me from wanting to trade back for. 

Deandre Swift, RB

Denzel Mims, WR

Jonathon Taylor, RB

Jalon Reagor, WR

Grant Delpit, S

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

I know its a pipe dream to get Delpit at 49. He's going to go in the teens, and even if he did fall, we have a decent shot at passing on him. But, maaaaan it'd be cool to get him. He would be perfect for the defense. It would be like when Decastro fell. Just perfect skillset for what we need. 

Some dudes I hope we come away with, most of them are guys I didn't like and then people on here changed my opinion:

John Simpson
Michael Onwenu
Joshua Uche
Cam Akers
Chase Claypool
Davon Hamilton
That NT from Baylor that has a little athleticism 
Jalen Reagor
Thad Moss

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I know its a pipe dream to get Delpit at 49. He's going to go in the teens, and even if he did fall, we have a decent shot at passing on him. But, maaaaan it'd be cool to get him. He would be perfect for the defense. It would be like when Decastro fell. Just perfect skillset for what we need. 

Some dudes I hope we come away with, most of them are guys I didn't like and then people on here changed my opinion:

John Simpson
Michael Onwenu
Joshua Uche
Cam Akers
Chase Claypool
Davon Hamilton
That NT from Baylor that has a little athleticism 
Jalen Reagor
Thad Moss

Delpit would make our defense just an absolute nightmare to go against. 

I like your list a lot. Hamilton is my favorite mid-round DT. Uche, Akers, Claypool are all nice options if we trade back from 49. 

• Like 1

Sources say the 49ers are shopping pick No. 31 in the first round. San Francisco does not have a pick in the second, third or fourth rounds, so it makes sense as to why the team would like to move down and add more selections. At No. 31, that could be a prime pick for a franchise looking to trade back into the first round to get a quarterback like Utah State's Jordan Love. That also is an intriguing position for teams with a high second-round picks, as moving up a few spots to No. 31 provides them with a fifth-year option on the rookie contract.

Even though leadership has stated that we are fine without a 1st Rd pick...is there ANYONE worth trading all 4 picks, plus possibly even trading 'down' by swapping 6th Rd picks with the 49ers,  (something like 610pts vs 606 pts...very close) that would be worth all of that?  Remembering, of course, that 5th-Year option for 1st Rd picks...

1.18 - Minkah Fitzpatrick

1.31- ???

6.210 - ???

7.232 - ??? 

I am having tough time getting into this draft, when combining our lack of a 1st, and the Coronavirus stuff, but I must say...walking away with 2 x 1st Rd picks would be intriguing...and remembering that Minkah will still only 23 YO at start of 2020 season...

Edited by Ward4HOF

19 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Even though leadership has stated that we are fine without a 1st Rd pick...is there ANYONE worth trading all 4 picks, plus possibly even trading 'down' by swapping 6th Rd picks with the 49ers,  (something like 610pts vs 606 pts...very close) that would be worth all of that?  Remembering, of course, that 5th-Year option for 1st Rd picks...

1.18 - Minkah Fitzpatrick

1.31- ???

6.210 - ???

7.232 - ??? 

I am having tough time getting into this draft, when combining our lack of a 1st, and the Coronavirus stuff, but I must say...walking away with 2 x 1st Rd picks would be intriguing...and remembering that Minkah will still only 23 YO at start of 2020 season...

If out of nowhere 1 of the elite OTs or WRs fell for whatever reason I could see it.

38 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

If out of nowhere 1 of the elite OTs or WRs fell for whatever reason I could see it.

Yea only way I would be ok with this if it was for one of the big 4 OTs or big 3 WRs fell to 31.

ONE DAY AWAY!! I am seriously more excited for this than the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

I can't shake the feeling that Matt Hennessy's ceiling is the 10th best center in the game. He just seems pretty meh, which is fine for a center, but he doesn't excite me. I've seen his name thrown around a few times on other steeler places. If I'm taking a center it's Ruiz, Biadasz, or Cush and then I'm packing it in until next year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

ONE DAY AWAY!! I am seriously more excited for this than the Super Bowl.

I'm always more excited for the draft than the SB, especially if we're not in it. It's been awhile, but I remember feeling sick the last time we were in the SB. The draft is exciting and even if we do something dumb, I always eventually spin it and come around. 

• Like 1

This is going to be a weird draft. I'm thinking that mocks will be even more useless as they normally are. With all the FO's being isolated we're going to see some real picks out of left field. 

Also, what's everyone's take on taking Laviska Shenault or Tee Higgins at 49? Is Shenault too similar to what we already have, or explosive enough to improve our offense? Is Higgins a no character concerns Martavis Bryant, and is that worth a mid 2nd round pick? I mean, NFL.com's comparison for him is AJ Freakin Green. That type of player might be kind of helpful lol

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This is going to be a weird draft. I'm thinking that mocks will be even more useless as they normally are. With all the FO's being isolated we're going to see some real picks out of left field. 

Also, what's everyone's take on taking Laviska Shenault or Tee Higgins at 49? Is Shenault too similar to what we already have, or explosive enough to improve our offense? Is Higgins a no character concerns Martavis Bryant, and is that worth a mid 2nd round pick? I mean, NFL.com's comparison for him is AJ Freakin Green. That type of player might be kind of helpful lol

Tee Higgins is not like Martavis. They are both big and went to Clemson but that’s about it. Higgins wins with body control and dominating at the catch point. Martavis used unreal long speed and acceleration to blow by guys. Higgins isn’t half the athlete Martavis was but is 10 times more physical and stronger at the catch point. AJ Green is a better comp but that’s his absolute maxed out ceiling. With that being said I wouldn’t mind Higgins in the 2nd.

I would prefer Shenault though. He’s a Steelers type player in my opinion. Reminds me almost of Hines Ward with how physically imposing he is at receiver. Dude had an insane amount of broken tackles in college for a receiver, just absolute bullied DBs after the catch, and was the entire heart and soul of the Colorado offense. Huge risk, huge reward with him when it comes to him staying healthy with his play style. Without the injuries he’s a top 20 pick IMO. He’s CeeDee Lamb lite.

Just watch the first play of this highlight film. Definition of a playmaker (turning an ordinary play into a huge gain/TD). He would be devastating in the red zone on screens, end arounds and jump balls.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Higgins is my dark horse pick for the Steelers at 49...not sure I’d like it TBH...I waver on him.