Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bigben07MVP

Steelers 2020 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Tee Higgins is not like Martavis. They are both big and went to Clemson but that’s about it. Higgins wins with body control and dominating at the catch point. Martavis used unreal long speed and acceleration to blow by guys. Higgins isn’t half the athlete Martavis was but is 10 times more physical and stronger at the catch point. AJ Green is a better comp but that’s his absolute maxed out ceiling. With that being said I wouldn’t mind Higgins in the 2nd.

I would prefer Shenault though. He’s a Steelers type player in my opinion. Reminds me almost of Hines Ward with how physically imposing he is at receiver. Dude had an insane amount of broken tackles in college for a receiver, just absolute bullied DBs after the catch, and was the entire heart and soul of the Colorado offense. Huge risk, huge reward with him when it comes to him staying healthy with his play style. Without the injuries he’s a top 20 pick IMO. He’s CeeDee Lamb lite.

Just watch the first play of this highlight film. Definition of a playmaker (turning an ordinary play into a huge gain/TD). He would be devastating in the red zone on screens, end arounds and jump balls.

The only reason he falls to us is his 'timed' speed, but it's evident his game speed is faster than his 'combine' speed...

Obviously, I'm a huge Ward fan, and love WRs with his build and strength, but he's more than that...he shows great adjustment to the ball, and is obviously very versatile.  I'd be thrilled to pick him up in the 2nd...which means, of course, he'll be gone...OR...some other prospect will be targeted, haha!

And yes, Chief...I'm new around here.  As such, I probably need someone like you to be my site mentor; someone to look up to and provide guidance..xD xD...sorry man, I couldn't get all the way through that without cracking up!!  Haha!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ward4HOF said:

The only reason he falls to us is his 'timed' speed, but it's evident his game speed is faster than his 'combine' speed...

Obviously, I'm a huge Ward fan, and love WRs with his build and strength, but he's more than that...he shows great adjustment to the ball, and is obviously very versatile.  I'd be thrilled to pick him up in the 2nd...which means, of course, he'll be gone...OR...some other prospect will be targeted, haha!

So Ward couldn’t adjust to the ball and wasn’t versatile?? Just messing with you but yes I’d be happy with him in the 2nd as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm starting to get excited! cooking up a healthy buffalo wing recipe for the first time tomorrow and i was lucky to find some frank's redhot here in australia at my local coles, because frank's is apparently the original sauce used in the first ever buffalo wings according to their bottle

as i've said in another thread i'd really love Jalen H if he were to slip to the third and the more i read @bigben07MVP's posts the more i like shenault in the second... him as a plug and play with juju along with johnson and washington and we could be looking at a WR1 and three WR2s, if the others come along as we hope

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

So Ward couldn’t adjust to the ball and wasn’t versatile?? Just messing with you but yes I’d be happy with him in the 2nd as well.

Haha...my point was, just because a WR is built like Ward, doesn't mean he won't share some of the same traits that made Ward great...being versatile, and able to adjust to the ball well...those two are evident in that video montage...but Ward was also an 'all-NFL-great' blocker, which is what really set Ward apart; only time will tell if Shenault would be able to come close to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’ll just leave this here.

No way the Steelers would do that in this draft.  Make a hole at Wr in a draft that is crazy deep in WR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, jebrick said:

No way the Steelers would do that in this draft.  Make a hole at Wr in a draft that is crazy deep in WR

Agreed, it's already been shut down but saw that scrolling through twitter yesterday was like WTF

For pick #13 however...

Edited by bigben07MVP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pick #13 can get a good WR so why would SF trade that pick.  i am sure they would offer pick #29 at best

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jebrick said:

No way the Steelers would do that in this draft.  Make a hole at Wr in a draft that is crazy deep in WR

That would be the ideal time, actually...wouldn't it?  I'm not advocating this at all...I'm just talking in general.  If it's easier to replace in a WR deep draft...if done early enough, right?

TBH, it wouldn't be the worst idea, again, speaking in general terms...a WR poised to make a big payday next season, though had a down year last season, with two other very promising young WRs onboard already? (Washington, Spencer)

All that being said, would make much more sense in aligning reality with what they have stated they (the 49ers) were aiming for, if we traded our 2nd, 3rd, 4th Rd picks for their 1st. I'm not advocating that we do...just pointing out what sounded like what the 49ers would want from us, or any other team...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

That would be the ideal time, actually...wouldn't it?  I'm not advocating this at all...I'm just talking in general.  If it's easier to replace in a WR deep draft...if done early enough, right?

TBH, it wouldn't be the worst idea, again, speaking in general terms...a WR poised to make a big payday next season, though had a down year last season, with two other very promising young WRs onboard already? (Washington, Spencer)

All that being said, would make much more sense in aligning reality with what they have stated they (the 49ers) were aiming for, if we traded our 2nd, 3rd, 4th Rd picks for their 1st. I'm not advocating that we do...just pointing out what sounded like what the 49ers would want from us, or any other team...

Only if you could get pick 13 and even then it is a setback.  WR rarely make an impact before game 6.  Exceptions are those that can run good routes already.  So trading your starting #1 WR for a potential #1 WR that may help the team for 1/2 a season immediately is a move by a rebuilding team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I’m gonna call a shot...I’ll say they go Edge at 102 and it’ll be either Highsmith or Taylor.

I'd be stoked about either one of those at 102. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Only if you could get pick 13 and even then it is a setback.  WR rarely make an impact before game 6.  Exceptions are those that can run good routes already.  So trading your starting #1 WR for a potential #1 WR that may help the team for 1/2 a season immediately is a move by a rebuilding team.

Understood...I guess I misread your point...was just looking at it from the standpoint that you mentioned trading a WR in a WR-talent-heavy draft is not something that would not be done...

"No way the Steelers would do that in this draft.  Make a hole at Wr in a draft that is crazy deep in WR."

...like we would only make a hole at WR in a draft that was not crazy deep in WR...when your point, i guess, was that we just wouldn't trade/make a hole at WR in a draft...at all. I just confused what your point was.

I guess I feel that, with the depth we appear to have at WR, would allow us to take a hit at that position, since there are so many viable choices for the future of WR on the Steelers.  Of course, Juju would be the last of the 3 that I would trade, since Washington's and Dontae's talents are closer aligned than Juju is with either...the only reason trading Juju would make more sense would be if we were leaning towards not signing him next FA.

All that said, I think I agree with you...in premise.  For 2020, WR is not a position that the Steelers need 'monkey' with, at all.  The fact that we have 3 talented WRs leads me to believe that WR should not really even be considered this draft...it IS a deep draft, and teams are likely to only draft so many WRs, so I'm fairly certain that their should be a few WR prospects that fall through the cracks, and we could grab one or two as UDFA, if need be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I’m gonna call a shot...I’ll say they go Edge at 102 and it’ll be either Highsmith or Taylor.

Depends on what you're looking for.  Taylor fits the "Dupree" role better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...