Steelers 2020 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

bigben07MVP

I’m not a huge prospect guy, but there’s a guy who I feel like has never been mentioned here and I think would be an absolutely tremendous fit and pick at 49. 

Ashtyn Davis, S, Cal 

I know he is on the older side, but I don’t think this offseason situation should be overlooked in terms of older, more experienced players potentially impacting games sooner. 

Was a 2 time Special teams MVP, so there is immediate use. Track star. Uber Athlete. Played some corner early in his career. 

I see immediate use on ST and a potential third safety, moving Edmunds into what I think is his more natural position in the box. Also, gives us a guy to play along side Minkah and allow him to move around a little more as Davis can be a FS. 

Again, I’m not a draftnik, but just surprised he isn’t talked about much. What am I missing? 

21 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m not a huge prospect guy, but there’s a guy who I feel like has never been mentioned here and I think would be an absolutely tremendous fit and pick at 49. 

Ashtyn Davis, S, Cal 

I know he is on the older side, but I don’t think this offseason situation should be overlooked in terms of older, more experienced players potentially impacting games sooner. 

Was a 2 time Special teams MVP, so there is immediate use. Track star. Uber Athlete. Played some corner early in his career. 

I see immediate use on ST and a potential third safety, moving Edmunds into what I think is his more natural position in the box. Also, gives us a guy to play along side Minkah and allow him to move around a little more as Davis can be a FS. 

Again, I’m not a draftnik, but just surprised he isn’t talked about much. What am I missing? 

He’s been mentioned plenty as an option for us at 49. Good player just doesn’t check a single box for what we typically use on our first pick (underclassman, P5 school etc.).

He wouldn’t be an exciting pick in my opinion but I could love with it. Doesn’t matter though our first pick is going towards offense.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

He’s been mentioned plenty as an option for us at 49. Good player just doesn’t check a single box for what we typically use on our first pick (underclassman, P5 school etc.).

Guess I’ve missed this convos. But doesn’t he check a lot of the boxes? Upper echelon athlete, pac 12 is P5, position flexibility, special teamer/returner?Underclassman and family ties are essentially the only ones he doesn’t, and family background is more guideline than rule. It’s also a second round pick so 4 years vs 5 which could change the view in underclassman as he would have one less contracted year to grow and potentially no offseason in year 1. 

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Doesn’t matter though our first pick is going towards offense.

Eh. I don’t think that’s a prerequisite for the Steelers. Out of our last 7 drafts first two picks were 10 defense to 4 offense and all 7 went defense first. I think they will stay pretty true to best player regardless of side.  

Edited by Dcash4

31 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Eh. I don’t think that’s a prerequisite for the Steelers. Out of our last 7 drafts first two picks we are 10 defense to 4 offense and all 7 say defense first. I think they will stay pretty true to best player regardless of side.  

Yes but we have already spent out first (Minkah) and third (Bush) this year on defense. Our defense was top 3 and our offense was bottom 3 last season. I know Ben is returning but I don't think that magically brings us back to a top 5 offense. Yes the QB play was bad but the running game was trash as well and we had 0 explosiveness and speed on the field last year.

Remember how they admitted they didn't do enough to replace Shazier and over compensated by trading up for Bush? I see a similar trend with them not doing enough to replace Bell and AB. 

I just don't see a scenario where we don't spend 49 on offense, whether that be RB, WR, or OL. Obviously just my opinion on things, anything can happen and if Delpit (or anyone else they have 1st round grade on) is on the board I think they'll have a hard time saying no. 

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

So, barring no trades, these are positions I believe we will not address in the draft...yet look at talent in UDFA...

WR, TE, PK, P, OLB, 5t, and RB (UNLESS...one of the premier RBs fall to 49, and is BPA, which, IRT RBs, can definitely happen...but my guess?????

A guy like Brian Herrien as UDFA/7th...a dude with the necessary talent, but overlooked and didn't get much of a shot at UGA...just look at his strengths, anyway, a guy potentially to get buried in the draft, yet have starter upside...quick, tough, but not fast... )

Anyway, to me, there are three positions that must be addressed in the draft....these are guys I'm looking at...at...

QB - (Character, Intelligence, Poise, Toughness, Arm Talent) Early?? Jalen Hurts  Later??  Shea Patterson, Nathan Rourke, Kevin Davidson, Jalen Morton  

DT - DaVon Hamilton, Khalil Davis, Rashard Lawrence, Bravvion Roy, John Penisini

OC/OG/OT - I didn't really look at any prospects at these positions, or any others...below. But I wouldn't be surprised to 2 x OL taken

CB/SS

ILB

I just did not follow closely enough, this year, to independent players, but looking at what we did in FA, compared to how many we keep of each on the roster, I think we shored up OLB, TE,  and even CB, to a point, but feel we are one Big Ben injury again to being 8-8...again...so we need to bring in at least one guy to push out back ups, and to me, guys who can face/stand tall into pressure, have ability to make reads, with Character/Leadership traits, yet can also get the ball to wherever it needs to be.

And then, DL??  We need someone strong, quick,with a good COG. I do not think  Wormley is enough for us this season, tbh.

Of course, I'll be lucky to get even one of these positions correct, let alone, actual players, but again, this is what I'm thinking.  It'll be interesting to see!

Edited by Ward4HOF
bold for clarity

33 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Yes but we have already spent out first (Minkah) and third (Bush) this year on defense. Our defense was top 3 and our offense was bottom 3 last season. I know Ben is returning but I don't think that magically brings us back to a top 5 offense. Yes the QB play was bad but the running game was trash as well and we had 0 explosiveness and speed on the field last year.

Remember how they admitted they didn't do enough to replace Shazier and over compensated by trading up for Bush? I see a similar trend with them not doing enough to replace Bell and AB. 

I just don't see a scenario where we don't spend 49 on offense, whether that be RB, WR, or OL. Obviously just my opinion on things, anything can happen and if Delpit (or anyone else they have 1st round grade on) is on the board I think they'll have a hard time saying no. 

I don’t know that the trades last year being this years picks will weigh on the decision. It wouldn’t weigh on me, at least. Last years needs were last years needs, this years needs are this years needs and it’s all ends at taking talent available. 

Ben’s return doesn’t turn us into a top 5 unit no, but he drastically changes things - even just from a schematics/playbook standpoint which just in itself is significant. I don’t see the AB/Bell comparison as Shazier left a hole on the roster filled by Jon Bostic. We have two 2nd rounders and an early 3rd rounder at WR and Connor absolutely matched production in 2018 with Ben. It’s not the same. 

Defense is also the only side of the ball where you can say we lack a starter - and actually at 2 positions, NT and Nickel Backer. OL is most likely a 2021 starter, WR is at best 4th, and RB is a backup/role player on a team that doesn’t use RBBC so I don’t know that an offensive pick as the same impact as a defender actually would. An elite defense makes the offense last year (with Ben, Ebron, and a second year Johnson) not need to be top 5 or even top 10  

I don’t think your wrong saying it’s a good chance being offense, but I think there is a good argument for it going either way. I really wouldn’t mind S, NT, or ILB at 49. Lotta impact to be had there too. 

I think you bring up a valid point and I think there will be an excellent defensive player available at 49 (Delpit?? - wishful thinking anyway on my part), but do you truly go BPA or just go highest ranked player on the offensive board? I too am a huge fan of Laviska Shenault. He pops on gameday and was a joy to watch on Saturdays. I've been following this site closely the past few days, and BigBen is getting my hopes up that he could potentially fall to us. I'd be ecstatic with the pick. Just as I would love to have Tyler Biadasz in rd 3. 

• Like 2

If you would have told Miami 12 months ago they were drafting 5th and still get Tua, they would have crapped themselves.  Dude is super legit if/when healthy.

Oh, and they have 2 more picks today and like 17 tomorrow...

Edited by kurgan

4 minutes ago, kurgan said:

If you would have told Miami 12 months ago they were drafting 5th and still get Tua, they would have crapped themselves.  Dude is super legit if/when healthy.

Oh, and they have 2 more picks today and like 17 tomorrow...

And they'll need all of them.  That team is bad.  Prolly get Swift next pick.  

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

And they'll need all of them.  That team is bad.  Prolly get Swift next pick.  

What do they have #18??  I'd trade 18, 26 and a couple others to trade up to get Jedrick WIlls.  He is falling cuz he is only a RT, but that is Tua's blindside. Plus, they are already comfortable together.

1 minute ago, kurgan said:

What do they have #18??  I'd trade 18, 26 and a couple others to trade up to get Jedrick WIlls.  He is falling cuz he is only a RT, but that is Tua's blindside. Plus, they are already comfortable together.

I thought Wirfs was the RT.  Good point tho.