Steelers 2020 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

bigben07MVP

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I dont see us keeping more than 3 RBs and 1 FB.

Conner, Snell, and McFarland & Watt

I could see them keeping Samuel. Withthe expanded rosters we may keep some extras at positions we don’t normally. I could see them keeping 3 and Watt too, though. Interesting possibilities.

2021 needs

In no order...

-TE(one of Ebron/Vance gone due to cap hits)

-OL(3 FAs in Villy-Feiler-Banner...theyll keep 1-2 and lose 1-2)...plus just general age/depth

-WR(they always draft a WR by end of Rd4 and I’m guessing they lose JuJu)

-CB(Haden getting older and both him and Nelson FAs after 2022)...unknown in Layne and I’m guessing Sutton gets deal and replaces Hilton in slot)

-RB( I think Connor gone either way and Snell is ??? Going into 2029...we will find out...I’m not holding breath and now McFarland added to mix.

-S depth

-ILB Vince finally cuttable and Gilbert a ??? As of now)

-OLB I’m thinking they’re resigning Bud long term

Just getting early start for next year 😅

Edited by AlanFanecaFan

signed UDFA

LB Leo Lewis / Mississippi State
DE Calvin Taylor / Kentucky
CB James Pierre / Florida Atlantic
LB James Lockhart / Baylor
FB Spencer Nigh / Auburn
Christian Montano / Tulane
CB Trajan Bandy / Miami

ILB John Houston / USC

Did some work on the UDFAs

• Leo Lewis, ILB Miss State-- cover backer in 4-2-5.  Athletic enough, but has focus/technique issues
  • John Houston Jr, ILB USC-- true nickel/cover backer in the mold of Barron.  6'3" 225, 109 tackles last year, 8 pass breakups.
  • James Lockhart, EDGE Baylor-- try hard, high motor, 6'2" 263.  Decent stats, but a really low ceilling
  • Calvin Taylor, EDGE UK-- 6'9" 310... some are saying conversion candidate to OT, but 22 sacks may say something different.  He also flexed inside on passing downs.  But, who knows??  This will be a fun one to watch.
  • Christian Montano, C Tulane-- 6'4" 300.  Couldn't find much.  A transfer from Brown University, played as a grad transfer for Tulane.
  • James Pierre, CB FAU-- Typical project big corner for us (6' 183).  Good at all aspects of being a cover 2 corner, needs refinement.
  • Trajan Bandy, CB Miami-- Nasty slot corner bulldog.. big talker/ankle biter.
  • Spencer Nigh, FB Auburn-- 6'0" 260-ish bowling ball FB. Smart guy, but throwback player.  I'd expect he is here to take reps off of Watt as we go to more FB packages.
  • Josiah Coatney, IDL Ole Miss-- Interesting guy who slipped late.  6'3", 308 with some two gap potential and a little bit of slippery-ness.  Should be an interesting camp battle with Davis.
  • Corliss Waitman, P USA-- transfer from Miss State... #7 or #12 ranked college punter, depending on source.

I can see two groups emerging:

1. Camp fillers: Lewis, Lockhart, Montano, Nigh, Waitman... these guys are here to give breaks, work out the guys opposite of them, and maybe impress enough to go on the PS.
  2. Exciting projects: Houston, Taylor, Pierre, Bandy, Coatney... I'd expect these guys to be given a chance to compete for a roster spot and to push draftees/rostered players.
    1. Houston will push Spillane
    2. Pierre is a project but will compete with Layne/Myers
    3. Bandy is in comp with Hilton/Sutton
    4. Taylor is strange... will push either the Edge room or the OT depth...
    5. Coatney will compete with Davis/McCullers/Buggs
  • Like 6