Steelers 2020 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

bigben07MVP

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

Question on Claypool...people keep trying to compare him to Funchess, and some have compared him to Calvin Johnson, which, you can't even say would be his ceiling..that's likely his ceiling + aother floor, lol...

...anyway, to me, I see a closer resemblance to Vincent Jackson, and TBH, I think coming out, that would be his closest comp IRT physical features...

VJ - 6'4 3/4", 241, 4.46 40 back in 2005

Chase - 6'4 1/4". 238, 4.42 40 in 2020

That is who I am hoping he can become...VJ was a nightmare at his peak...if we can get that type of production out of him, then watch-out!!  Haha...

That's a really good call. I was texting my Chiefs fan friend during the draft and he said he reminded him of VJ. They've got similar games for sure. I hope we can keep JuJu. I'd love to see JuJu, Claypool, and Diontae Johnson grow together. We can maybe afford it too when Ben retires. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Simms usually has good takes, right? I don't really watch as much sports talk shows as I once did.

I quite like him.  He definitely makes up his own mind about prospects.  Checked out his rankings pre-draft he had CEH as his top rated RB.  Jerry Jeudy wasn’t even in his top 5 WR and Okudah was his #3 CB.  Might not agree with his rankings but at least he follos his own path unlike most analysts. 

3 hours ago, 95lloyd said:

Hawks released Fluker he might be a decent pick up depending on price

looks like they are going to release britt also. If we wanted some IOL depth these 2 could be options.

Im still on the sign snacks harrison train as my top FA signing.

• Like 5

I've been looking a little more into Brooks Jr. I think we got a steal with him. Smart kid, big and physical, likes to tackle. I think he fits in really well as the #3 safety. I could also see him replacing Hilton as the nickle guy on run downs after next year. He isn't overly fluid in coverage, but neither is HIlton. Brooks is also quite a bit bigger than Hilton. Good blitzer, good in short zones, most likely a special teams banger, good run stopping. I like this kid. We should probably go dumpster diving for coverage type Safeties, though, because this kid ain't that. I think he can play safety in a split look eventually, but he's in no way a single high guy. 

• Like 7

On 4/29/2020 at 1:05 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I've been looking a little more into Brooks Jr. I think we got a steal with him. Smart kid, big and physical, likes to tackle. I think he fits in really well as the #3 safety. I could also see him replacing Hilton as the nickle guy on run downs after next year. He isn't overly fluid in coverage, but neither is HIlton. Brooks is also quite a bit bigger than Hilton. Good blitzer, good in short zones, most likely a special teams banger, good run stopping. I like this kid. We should probably go dumpster diving for coverage type Safeties, though, because this kid ain't that. I think he can play safety in a split look eventually, but he's in no way a single high guy. 

Definitely agree on Brooks. I live just outside DC, and not too far from college park so, I see a lot of Maryland games. He’s a good player, should be a steal. He’s a SS in the traditional sense, a box safety or a WILB.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/platform/amp/2020/5/1/21241432/2020-nfl-draft-scouting-roundup-on-steelers-safety-antoine-brooks-jr-maryland-safety-linebacker

Edited by turtle28

I like the Claypool to Vincent Jackson comp, I had never thought about that before. As everyone has eluded to, Claypool - like Vincent Jackson had to - has to become a better route runner, but that will happen, even if he’s never a great one, we all know he’ll improve as a route runner given the Steelers track record on developing WRs.

Another comp for Claypool could be Demaryus Thomas. Thomas came from Georgia Tech where they ran the triple option and they rarely threw the ball. So, he had an incredible amount of work to do to develop into a good route running NFL WR but, he had an incredible amount of natural talent and speed. He eventually got there so, hopefully Claypool can also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Displayname said:

Just a thought, we’ll have three(?) extra picks next year. With this pandemic, I’m curious about more players entering the supplement draft this year

I just read that an updated comp list came out and it gives us a 4th and a 6th. We were going to get two 6ths, but a TE signed a deal bigger than Vannett’s and it messed with the formula. 

• Like 2