Final Mock 2020

Madmike90

I really think this is going to be a pretty insane draft…guys who we expect to be long gone sticking around longer because one guy in his basement decides to go in a different direction at the last minute…so head scratching “reaches” where fans lose it haha…I don’t think any GM should be hounded out of town for mistakes this year because it is just so unprecedented…so why be safe? Why not swing for the fences and try and find the playmakers this offence needs and the depth the defence needs…

The one thing this draft is geared towards is physicality which is something we massively need to improve on…

Free Agents

CB…Prince Amukamara…6-0” 205lbs…

In my last mock I never put Amukamara in it but mentioned the possibility of trying to bring him back…finding out we now have $11 million in cap space available following the changes to Foles’ deal means this is 100% a possibility now…Amukamara seemed to be happy here and at 30 years old he still has a couple of years left in him…bringing him back in what could be a short offseason would be the best move for both parties…something like $9 million over 2 years would be fair for both sides and give us a level of experience and talent across from Fuller to help ease in a new safety and give our younger depth CBs less pressure…I could see this happening after the draft.

Draft…

Bears trade #43 to Ravens for #60, #92 & #134

The Ravens will be a real force in the AFC this year and I can see them moving up for a playmaker on defence like a pass rusher after taking a linemen to replace Yanda in round 1…Ruiz would be my best guess right now.

Round 2 (#50)… 

usatsi_11389320.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

WR...Laviska Shenault Jr…6-1” 228lbs…Colorado…

So you went and got Nick Foles…now what? Now you need to give him talented playmakers because Foles is a “game manger” at the QB position…even though I fully expect that Foles will beat out Trubisky due to his accuracy, timing, ability to read defences & calmness he isn’t going to turn this offence around by himself…as much as adding talent on the offensive line is going to be a big need on it’s own I feel we can wait until our second 2nd round pick in order to get him a guard…what he needs is a WR who can take a short pass 35 yards after the catch…so how does Shenault Jr. end up at #50? Well the top 4 receivers in Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs III & Jefferson are set…after that what is it you want? True speed WR? Aiyuk, Reagor, Mims and possibly even Hamler fit that mould…Tall possession guy who can win deep Pittman, Higgins, Claypool & may the most under rated WR in this years draft Bryan Edwards…don’t sleep on someone falling in love with the versatile Lynn Bowden either…including Shenault Jr that is possibly 14 WRs who go in the first two rounds…that is insane so even if Shenault Jr isn’t the guy then someone with real talent will be but let’s look Shenault Jr…the negatives are he has some durability concerns, some scouts have concerns about his maturity levels and he didn’t run well at the combine…legit concerns…but then you watch the tape…man this dude is so physical when he gets the ball in his hands…we have seen Nagy try and use Patterson as a physical dude on short passes…this guy is just as physical but has way more natural skills…we have seen Nagy use Gabriel & Cohen on short passes…this dude is 60lbs heavier than that and would add a completely different aspect to that game…on tape the few times he was allowed to purely run deep he has the game speed and again physicality to create separation one on one and excellent tracking skills and hands to bring the ball in…Shenault Jr is so versatile he was used at all three receiver spots and even at RB for Colorado…that is how physical he is with the ball in his hands…as a true #2 across from ARob it would allow Miller to focus on the slot…you then take Ridley and teach him the Slot more than anything and keep Wims on the outside…Patterson is your gadget guy…that is a solid core group of receivers…now again Shenault Jr could get hurt…as could anyone playing this game…but we are in win now mode and if teams pass on this guy for some of the other receivers listed we should be all over him…much like Alshon Jeffery.

Round 2 (#60)… 

BBZLIGk.img?h=0&w=720&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f&l

OL…Robert Hunt…6-5” 323lbs…Louisiana-Lafayette…

The regression of our offence last season can be put down to a number of factors but I am not sure anything hurt us as much as the OL…from being a massive strength in 2018 it became almost unrecognizable in 2019 with every single player taking a step back the way…personally I do not feel this was down to a lack of talent…more the scheme we were asking them to pay simply wasn’t a fit…none of our offensive linemen fit a power scheme more than a zone…changing Whitehair & Daniels around before the season started also didn’t feel like a great idea…nor did allowing Kyle Long to play when he was clearly done…HH paid for these decisions with his job and I believe Juan Castillo is a far better fit for the linemen we currently have as he will bring about far more zone principles…with that said we need to give him some talent to work with up front…Hunt is a guy I have really liked since the start of the year and had him in my first mock of the year as a 5th rounder…the more people have got a hold of tape on him the more they have seen his talent as a difference maker up front…Hunt is a rare combination of hulking size & strength but with athletic upside and excellent footwork…as a pass protector he uses that footwork combined with his length and excellent grip strength to control rushers as soon as he gets his hands on them and will be a solid pass protector at the NFL level…it’s in the run game though where he shows dominant traits…no one has better tape than Hunt as a tackle in the run game where he flat out runs over guys with brute force…I think he can be an excellent RT for many years to come but his versatility means he would start out inside for us at RG where he would add size & nastiness…my only concern is wither or not he last this long because like we saw with Tytus Howard last season…a team looking for a true RT will love Hunt and could take him earlier than this but we benefit from an extremely deep tackle class.

Round 3 (#92)…

usatsi_13382565.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

TE…Albert Okwuegbunam…6-5” 258lbs…Missouri…

Risk vs. Reward…pure and simple with this pick…some worry AO doesn’t love the game and won’t play tough when he has money in the bank which is no doubt a risk…others feel he was a lock as a 1st round pick when he had some talent around him and has fallen off because he had no one to throw him the ball…I fall into the latter because as I said it’s time we take a few more risks to fix this offence…in terms of pure physical talent there is no one who comes close to AO in this draft class…he has a huge frame with length and big hands…he is strong and very fast…he can jump out the gym…if you were building a TE in a laB this is how he would physically look…in the passing game he has good hands and is excellent at high pointing the ball while boxing out a defender like a power forward…route running will be an issue early but keep it simple and let him play…in the running game think Jimmy Graham…dude isn’t going to offer you much early in his career but the physical talent is there if a coach can get it out of him…and there in lies the reason he is a 3rd round pick…you need to get this guys mentality right but if you can he is the type of player who in 3 or 4 years’ time when you see redrafts goes top 15…that’s how good he could be…because of that I see him as the long term move TE option we need to make the offence works…this season you use him and Graham to create match up issues for both linebackers and safeties…good luck to any nickel trying to deal with them…AO could be a bust…or one of the best TEs in football…for a 3rd round pick take the risk.

Round 4 (#134)…

9522838.jpg

S…Jared Mayden…6-0” 205lbs…Alabama…

Time to add some talent on defence…our front seven is the best in the NFL when everyone is healthy…with Mack & now Quinn providing pass rush on the outside and Hicks inside to collapse the pocket our pass rush is fearsome…add in Goldman with Roquan & Danny T inside and you’re going to struggle to run on us as well…on the back end of the D if we bring back Prince then we are solid there alongside Fuller who has become a quality #1 CB…making safety the one starting position we really need to upgrade alongside Eddie…last season having HaHa next to Eddie was a real handcuff and forced us to play Eddie closer to the LOS than he should have been…as a true centrefielder we need to find a guy who can complement Jackson as a SS we feel can play closer to the LOS…enter Jared Mayden...IMO the most underrated DB in this entire draft mostly due to the fact he only starter 1 year at Alabama…when you look at the safety talent that has come out of this school you can forgive it…as a former 4 star CB recruit Mayden was made to wait for his chance to start but when he did showed the qualities you want in a modern day safety with versatility being key as Bama safeties are always interchangeable…he also played in the nickel at times which only strengthens his usefulness…Mayden doesn’t have elite speed which is why he moved from safety but he is very instinctive in coverage and made plays on the ball with 4 INTs last season…in run support Mayden uses his length to fight off blocks from WRs in order to get involved…he isn’t a big hitter but is a solid enough wrap up tackler to play down in the box and let Jackson play over the top…much like at Bama Mayden doesn’t need to come here and be a star…he needs to come in and be a solid compliment player who allows Jackson to be the star…if he does that he is the perfect pick in this spot.

Round 5 (#163)…

l_74wa412312018101415AM.jpg

ILB…Willie Gay Jr…6-1” 243lbs…Mississippi State…

The Bears are set for starting ILB with Roquan looking primed to become a real star and Danny T back to bring a leadership presence inside…but after these two the cupboard is pretty bare with Nick-K in Las Vegas now and KPL is Washington…Iggy has never shown enough to be relied on as a long term starter and after that we have JAGs…as much as I love Danny T I have very little faith he plays 16 full games this season given his history of injury…with that said we need to be looking for someone who we can trust to come in and play next to Roquan…there are a number of LBs in this range like Davion Taylor, Jordyn Brooks, Shaun Bradley & Shaquille Quarterman but my favourite is Gay Jr…he is far from pretty with a playing style of sheer energy which makes his arms flail around but he has the size to play inside at ILB in our 3-4 alongside the range to cover ground behind our DL…what he lacks in instincts he makes up for in motor when chasing down ball carriers…in zone coverage he does a solid job playing underneath routes…ideally we wouldn’t see much of him all season but realistically I would trust him early for a 3-4 game stretch…should be a stand out on teams as well.

Round 6 (#196)… 

pxvujcndjpffqgeojaje

NT...Bravvion Roy…6-1” 333lbs…Baylor…

Our starting DL is really good…Hicks is a beast at DE…Goldman continues to do a great job quietly on the nose and Nichols will continue to develop as the 3rd man…RRH is also still a quality 4th man but I feel he is best suited to being used as a nickel pass rusher…after that I have real concerns following the loss of Nick Williams who was excellent for us last year…with our starting three missing a combined 14 games between them we are going to need to find more upfront in case of a repeat and as much as I would like to see a vet signed to compete with Urban for that role I still feel we need a young guy who fits the development role…Roy is very similar to some of the nose tackles Pagano has had in the past as a short and stout space eater who can protect our ILBs…Roy will never be a good pass rusher and is limited to a two down role but this late it makes sense to add depth at that NT position.

Round 6 (#202)…

1178631262-850x560.jpeg

OLB…Trevis Gipson…6-3” 260lbs…Tulsa…

You can never have enough good pass rusher…especially if you can develop them rather than using draft capital or spending big in FA…Mack & Quinn are an outstanding pairing for us as OLBs and I expect them to both make each other better but behind them we only really have Mingo as a viable OLB and he is more from the school of Floyd where he is a jack of all trades but not a great pass rusher…so who do you find to rush the passer? How about a ball of clay who people have compared to Roy Robertson-Harris? Gipson is very reminiscent of RRH in that he is a crazy athletic dude who doesn’t always look pretty in his technique but has so much physical talent that you give him to a DL coach and let him get to work…long limbed, strong, explosive off the line, aggressive…he has everything you want in a development prospect…his production as a senior was impressive especially considering he had more than 50% of his teams overall sacks…meaning every offensive coordinator knew who he had to double up on…8 sacks and 15 TFL shows where he could be with a big of talent around him.

Round 7 (#226)…

fcabe304-0d05-4df2-834c-ce79a6c84a95-LR-

RB…Elijah Mitchell…5-10” 218lbs…Louisiana-Lafayette…

The running game was bogged down so much last season for a number of reasons and while I don’t feel David Montgomery was to blame I still think we could give him some help in the backfield outside of Cohen who basically was giving away what was happening every time he lined up on early downs…Nagy has a type at RB…5-10ish 220lbsish bowling balls with quick feet, good vision and hands…enter Mitchell who is exactly that…with size & power the knock on him will be he won’t blow anyone away with long speed but he is a very similar runner to Montgomery and the blocking schemes could remain the exact same no matter which on is in the backfield…coming of a highly productive season with 1147 yards at 5.8 YPC and 16 TDs there are some skills there…look back to 2018 and he also had 20 receptions for an average of 17.5 yards per catch so he is productive in that area too.

Round 7 (#233)…

5c3cc2cdb5ee9.image.jpg?resize=400,267

K…Tyler Bass…5-10” 185lbs…Georgia Southern…

I’m still not sold on Eddy as our kicker…I think he clearly has too many good and bad days…consistency is key at the kicker position and finding someone who can be solid in every game has to be a priority…Bass is not only accurate and consistent with his kicks but he has a booming leg to hand kickoffs…with improved NFL coaching if he can learn to not kick the ball so high on field goal attempts he could easily be good from 50 yards consistently.

Depth Chart…

QB…Nick Foles…Mitch Trubisky

RB…David Montgomery…Elijah Mitchell…Tarik Cohen

FB…J.P Holtz

WR…Allen Robinson…Javon Wims

WR…Laviska Shenault Jr…Riley Ridley

WR…Anthony Miller…Cordarrelle Patterson

TE…Jimmy Graham...Albert Okwuegbunam…Demetrius Harris…Jesper Horsted

LT…Charles Leno…Jason Spriggs

LG…James Daniels

C…Cody Whitehair

RG…Robert Hunt…Germain Ifedi

RT…Bobby Massie…Rashaad Coward                               

LE…Akiem Hicks…Brent Urban

NT…Eddie Goldman…Bravvion Roy

RE…Bilal Nichols…Roy Robertson-Harris

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Trevis Gipson

ILB…Roquan Smith…Willie Gay Jr.

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Joel Iyiegbuniwe                             

ROLB…Robert Quinn…Keke Mingo

NB…Buster Skrine…Duke Shelley                

CB…Kyle Fuller…Artie Burns…Kevin Toliver                  

CB…Prince Amukamara…Tre Roberson

SS…Jared Mayden…Deon Bush

FS...Eddie Jackson...Jordan Lucas...Deandre Carson-Houston

K...Tyler Bass

P...Pat O'Donnell

LS...Patrick Scales

• Like 2

I'm a fan.  Hunt would be able to beat Massie out at RT if given the chance too imo. That would substantially help on outside zones and stretch plays.

Shenault scares me but that is a true number one talent if he stays healthy and doesn't lose his damn mind. 

Roy is a tank I've been clamoring for a while over. 

• Like 1

Would LOVE to bring Prince back affordably ! I hope  PittmanJr is there at 50, his size and skill set is so different from ARob and Miller. No injury issues and he was the Captian of USC Offense...

a lot of trades going on .... and in perfect fairness, even more trades could pop-off! This will be a VERY interesting unpresidented Draft.

I really like Hunt. 

I like Eddie alot more that Pat, in fact I kinda hate Pat, so maybe use that pick on 1st choice at P

Resigning PA makes this Draft much different

Edited by SLCbear
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

I like Eddie alot more that Pat, in fact I kinda hate Pat, so maybe use that pick on 1st choice at P

I'm a huge Pineiro fan ( Gator bias in full swing probably),  I think he's going to step up again.  I saw enough it if him to keep him,  but happy to have competition for him too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm a huge Pineiro fan ( Gator bias in full swing probably),  I think he's going to step up again.  I saw enough it if him to keep him,  but happy to have competition for him too.

Michael Turk would be my first choice punter...I think he would be a major upgrade...that said as important as field position is for the D I think points for the offence would be more important...I just feel we need to grab someone who is as consistent as possible and I don't feel that's Eddy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

Would LOVE to bring Prince back affordably ! I hope  PittmanJr is there at 50, his size and skill set is so different from ARob and Miller. No injury issues and he was the Captian of USC Offense...

a lot of trades going on .... and in perfect fairness, even more trades could pop-off! This will be a VERY interesting unpresidented Draft.

I really like Hunt. 

Resigning PA makes this Draft much different

I just can't see Pittman being there...I think aside from the obvious physical talents it's his experience in USC's more pro style offence, leadership & football smarts that in a shortened offseason that teams will love.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Michael Turk would be my first choice punter...I think he would be a major upgrade...that said as important as field position is for the D I think points for the offence would be more important...I just feel we need to grab someone who is as consistent as possible and I don't feel that's Eddy.

Kickers ebb and flow constantly. You got your 90% kickers in college that are trash in the NFL and 70% kickers that boom 50 yarders like nothing.

Keep picking up UDFA K/P and let them battle.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

Kickers ebb and flow constantly. You got your 90% kickers in college that are trash in the NFL and 70% kickers that boom 50 yarders like nothing.

Keep picking up UDFA K/P and let them battle.

Maybe we were just spoilt for too long with Gould 😂

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Eddie is pretty strong, love his moxy ! Has the potential to be great !

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I just can't see Pittman being there...I think aside from the obvious physical talents it's his experience in USC's more pro style offence, leadership & football smarts that in a shortened offseason that teams will love.

Gives me Alshon Jeffery vibes... whom I loved back in 2012