How come I didn't know Herschel Walker isn't in the Football Hall of Fame? And why isn't he?

sportjames23

For all the hype and unreal athletic ability, He only really had 1 great season in the NFL. Got to take USFL stats with a grain of salt.

I don't care about Kickoff return yards as "All Purpose Yards". You are basically spotted 20 before you see any contact. If you're team is trash (late 80's Cowboys) you get a lot of free 20 yard opportunities

Edited by TheGame316
  • Like 1

I don't think he ever lived up to his college billing. He should have been an all time great, but never really produced.

To many, he is mostly known as the guy traded to Minnesota to build the Cowboys dynasty. That might be his biggest contribution to the NFL.

• Like 4

Classic case of Hall of Very Good and Hall of Fame.

Walker also has the stigma of being the focal point of that trade going against him too. It gives an impression that he was a bum when in reality he was a solid player that just simply wasn't nearly worth what Minnesota gave up.

Edited by $andtrap
  • Like 1

Walker is a Hall of Very Good NFL player. 

I don't see any reason NOT to include his USFL totals, it was a legit decent level of competition, as much as the AAFC and possibly close to early AFL, and at least the AFL #s count. Walker is the only person I can think of who was dominant in the USFL where it didn't carry over (Jim Kelly, Reggie White, Gary Zimmerman all had USFL time). Gary Clark might be the only other player where USFL stats would burnish his HoF case. 

18 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I don't see any reason NOT to include his USFL totals, it was a legit decent level of competition, as much as the AAFC and possibly close to early AFL, and at least the AFL #s count. Walker is the only person I can think of who was dominant in the USFL where it didn't carry over (Jim Kelly, Reggie White, Gary Zimmerman all had USFL time). Gary Clark might be the only other player where USFL stats would burnish his HoF case. 

The AFL numbers count because of that particular situation, and the merger.

The USFL was a good league, but it wasn't NFL caliber. 

48 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Walker is a Hall of Very Good NFL player. 

How about Doug Flutie then? He has terrific CFL numbers. Damon Allen is #4 ALL-Time in "Pro Football" passing yards.... You want him in there too?

• Like 1

Hershel took the Trump money to play in the USFL. If he had 2 more big years in his prime in the NFL then he would probably be in the HoF.

No need to feel bad for him. He got paid.

Guys like Reggie White and Steve Young were good enough to make the Hall anyway.

Jim Kelly got carried there by a great team.

Hershel might belong if you factor in the USFL, but its not a crime that he's out.