Measuring 2019 QBs using EPA from NFLscrapR

Gmen

I decided to dabble in the world of sports analytics and started to use NFLscrapR to do some quarterback analysis.  NFLscrapR uses the programming language R (I used a Python interface) to scrape the web for play by play NFL data and parse the data into a data structure.  The fields, and explanations of the data structures can be seen here.

I was mostly interested in the expected points added (EPA) part of NFLscrapR.  You can read about EPA by following that link. 

• On a play where a pass is thrown, EPA = AIR_EPA + YAC_EPA
  • On a play where a quarterback drops back is sacked or fumbles, the EPA is given, but AIR and YAC EPA are not

I've created a google spreadsheet with some averages from NFLscrapR for quarterbacks that dropped back more than 200 times in 2019.  I include the following categories

• Average EPA
  • Average WPA
  • Average AIR_EPA
  • Average YAC_EPA
  • Average COMP_AIR_EPA
  • Average AIR_YARDS
  • Average SUCCESS
  • DROPBACKS

Here is the link for your perusal

Link to google sheets spreadsheet

You can sort by any of the eight fields I mentioned above. 

Sheet1 contains the data for all dropbacks.

Sheet2 contains the data for dropbacks on 3rd, 4rth down and 7+ yards to go.

As a Giants fan (as you know the Giants are big into analytics), I was curious to break down Daniel Jones, and his rookie peers using EPA.  Here are some takeaways

• Daniel Jones was 33rd in EPA, however, he was 19th in AIR_EPA.  This obviously means that the fumbles really hurt his EPA
  • Daniel Jones was knocked down on 19.7% of his dropbacks.  This led the league.  Unfortunately NFLscrapR does not provide time-to-throw numbers, so we can't know whether it was poor protection, or the rookie holding onto the ball too long.  I think it was a combination of both
  • Dwayne Haskins by far and away had the lowest total EPA among qualifiers, but his AIR_EPA was a very respectable 12th overall @HTTRDynasty
  • Kyler Murray was 28th in AIR_YARDS.  Needless to say, they don't run a vertical passing offense in Arizona.  However, on 3rd and 7+, Murray moves up to a respectable 17th overall (Jones 19th overall) Meaning, he throws the ball downfield when he has to.
  • While Daniel Jones was knocked down the most in the NFL, Kyler Murray was on the opposite end of the spectrum ranking 33rd.

Have a look at the data, post something if you find it interesting.  I'll play around with it when I have more time. 

Enjoy!

Edited by Gmen