2020 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

32 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So...whatcha gonna be chewing on tonight?

Me?  I'm smoking some baby back ribs and I've got some great looking venison steaks marinating.  

I'm going to feast and watch the chaos.  Jerruh drafting alone should be worth the price of admission.  And yah, hackers are gonna try to hack!

Wings, wings, and more wings. Also a lot of beer!

23 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Matt Miller has GB going Zach Baun in his last mock draft this morning.

If we are talking supply and demand there are few players that do what Baun does and it does meet value at the 30th pick. I'm warming to him as an idea, a guy that can be our 4th rusher and be our second MLB. Quite a bit of positional diversity.

Anyone hoping like me we use our 3rd to trade up in the 2nd? Given our recent 3rd round history I feel like it’s better used for trading up.

gone are the days of getting Morgan Burnett, Jermichael Finely and James Jones. Just nothing but Burks, Fackrell and Adams .

Just now, Green19 said:

Anyone hoping like me we use our 3rd to trade up in the 2nd? Given our recent 3rd round history I feel like it’s better used for trading up.

gone are the days of getting Morgan Burnett, Jermichael Finely and James Jones. Just nothing but Burks, Fackrell and Adams .

Going from an early-to-mid 2nd round pick and then not picking again until 136 is a LONG time go without a selection, and you lose a ton of flexibility.  I think it's more likely if the Packers move back from 30.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Going from an early-to-mid 2nd round pick and then not picking again until 136 is a LONG time go without a selection, and you lose a ton of flexibility.  I think it's more likely if the Packers move back from 30.

Who gives a crap? 

We've got one shot at this.  2021.  That's it.  We're not competing with Rodgers back up to 30+ million cap hit.  And we're not competing the year after that when Rodgers will be 47 years old. 

This coming season is our last shot until Aaron's final Go Out On Top Referee/NFL Boost season. 

A flyer on a third round prospect who likely will not contribute year one is not what this team needs.

This team needs immediate impact players immediately. 

If it were up to me, we would use every single pick we have to trade up as far as possible.  Where this team is has zero need for 4t-7th round rookies right now. 

I know it would be unpopular on the board, but I wouldn't be surprised (and I'd be personally happy) if the Pack traded up in the 2nd for a top RB like Dobbins or Taylor.  They've done a lot of work on Dobbins to make me think it's a distinct possibility and I don't think those guys last anywhere near #62.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Who gives a crap? 

We've got one shot at this.  2021.  That's it.  We're not competing with Rodgers back up to 30+ million cap hit.  And we're not competing the year after that when Rodgers will be 47 years old. 

This coming season is our last shot until Aaron's final Go Out On Top Referee/NFL Boost season. 

A flyer on a third round prospect who likely will not contribute year one is not what this team needs.

This team needs immediate impact players immediately. 

If it were up to me, we would use every single pick we have to trade up as far as possible.  Where this team is has zero need for 4t-7th round rookies right now. 

Good thing you're not in charge.  IF the prospects in that 25-40 range are all comparable, you're doing yourself a disservice by not moving down a small bit and acquiring more draft picks.  More draft picks generally equals more chances for players to hit.  You put all your eggs in one basket and it turns into a nothing burger, what do you have to show for it?

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You put all your eggs in one basket and it turns into a nothing burger, what do you have to show for it?

That's the truth for most drafts and most picks, you end up with very little. The bust rate across a draft is so high. Go for the 'big pick' or go for 'multiple picks' each strategy is as risky as the other.

3 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Outpost - do you think Tampa Bay or New Orleans or Steelers have any shot at a SuperBowl run?  Would it legitimately surprise you if any of those teams were in the SB (or credibly challenging for it) this year?

Tampa Bay has literally zero shot whatsoever.  Zero.  None.  

Pittsburgh has a decent shot.  Their lack of recent postseason experience will be the only thing holding them back.

The Saints have a very strong shot.  Very good shot.  

Rob Demovsky -  For months, Mel Kiper has mocked a WR to the Packers at No. 30. That finally changed in his final mock draft. And no, it's not a QB. It's a ... tight end.

////

Thats a pretty bad selection IMO. Wrong draft for that.