John 232's better late than never mock draft(s!)

John232

Hello, I haven't been on much despite the quarantine because I've been working at a foodbank! But despite my troubles, I have still stayed in relative tune with eveyrthing. I also just wasted money on TDN premium so i'm going to use it god dammit.  Anyways, my first mock I started, Jeff Okudah dropped, so I restarted it because there's no way Xavier McKinney is going 9 overall. Fix your website TDN!! So to make up for lost time, which for me, means posting about 3 or 4 totally bull**** mock drafts, I'm going to use my new trendy stupid TDN subscription and summarize my thoughts on each draft situation. 

Mock Draft #1:

I decided to stand at 13 and role with Andrew Thomas. It was very hard to pick between Wills, Jeudy and Thomas, but I feel that our FO and coaching staff puts a huge premium on Tackle play and bringing in someone like Thomas who can play RG for a year before taking over on the outside would allow for a seamless changing of the guard. Going into the 31st pick, I wanted a small trade back, because I was targeting someone I realy like..

Cesar Ruiz.  We may see another changing of the guard (ha) with both Tomlinson AND Richburg in the very near future. Tomlinson less likely...even so that would make someone like Cesar Ruiz another very attractive option. Richburg has not been able to finish a season healthy so adding in someone who can play up and down the line and eventually take over at Center (also relieving us of some cap space in the near future) would further my point about changing of the..guards. Also, I would imagine that after QB and OT, Shanny values center more than any other position. He clearly wants talent there.

I think I picked up another 4th here on the tradeback. That lead to: Lynn Bowden. If there has been a singular constant to our draft profiles, I would say versatility is at or near the top and with the exception of Antonio Gibson, Bowden might be the most versatile player in the draft. Dynamic athlete, raw, but has his foot in everything. I look at Taysom Hill and I want to murder him, but that's for fantasy reason..for IRL football, he's incredible to watch and he's used brilliantly. Give Shanny a guy like that and there's no doubt we could add a crazy unique wrinkle to our offense. That said, I have concerns about his immediacy as a reliable receiver...luckily the board broke well because 

Devin Duvernay landed right into our laps in the 5th round. Absolute burner, with incredible hands. I doubt he lasts this long but it's a deep class at a lot of positions so who knows. All I know is he will probably get snaps right away as a field stretcher but also someone who Kyle will go out of his way to get into space. He's  under developed as a route runner and he doesn't seem to have a lot of potential there, but he is a great grab here and has great potential to bank on and will have a role carved out immediately. It sucks though, because corner has been sort of elusive for the team but

Lamar Jackson (the corner..har har.... . .) is a sensible pick depth pick and has a good chance to earn a 53 man spot right away. I think our coaching staff is higher on E- MAN and Witherspoon than most of us, but regardless, it's always good to acquire depth. Jackson is a zone corner who has solid ball and recognition skills, but isn't a great athlete. He competes and can lay the wood. Brandon Browner (on some level) is who I thought of. Not a great athlete, but as they all (constantly) say..he's a dog..we end the draft with another player who fits the Shanny scheme theme of versatility in 

Dalton Keene: Maybe a bit too Dwelley-esque but this is a guy who can play all over. We really need fresh blood at TE and Keene is a guy I think would have a very good shot to make a roster but if he didn't..he's the perfect PS guy. 

Mock Draft 2

So this was the draft where I went a little nuts trading.  The OT's and receivers were dropping and looking at who was picking behind it us, it made sense go for a tradeback here..I went with Jacksonville..because I expected them go OT..instead the program had them take Lamb..makes sense too..anyways..it broke our way in a big way and w ended up with 

Jedrick Wills..Beautiful..really a push between him and Thomas for me..but the staff would be ecstatic if they could pull this off. Well..at this point..i'm feelin myself..lets do this again..SO I think I trade back with the Patriots(?) to pick 49 and pickup a third, Pats pick Love and I pick Michael Pittman. This guy was really good and at times downright dominant. The comparison I'm seeing to him most is Allen Robinson. He's a big receiver he plays bigger than his 6'4 frame, catches everything and can work downfield extremely well. He's not pretty, you'd like to see more of the RAC and Separation department but he runs good routes and seems to just know the position inside and out. He also appears to have a lot of people speaking to his character. The other thing too, we have a log jam at the Slot..I want a guy who can play outside and JUST work there..he's that guy and imo is the second best X in this class after Lamb. 

We picked up a third and we immediately add an OW..who I brought up before..Antonio Gibson..there was a couple glaring issues to our offense last year..but one that always bothered the hell out of me was our RB's completely inability to be a threat in the passing game..seriously..pathetic. So, we fix that by drafting a WR who can play RB..and he can do both well. Seriously..his tape is really good..like..if he was playing at a SEC school, he'd be a top 3 pick. I stand by that. Yes, he has some rawness, he's not a pure pure RB and it shows sometimes..but I believe in our staff to utilize this guy to his fullest potential and also to use his skills in every way imaginable. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with the most touches of any RB on our team. 

Getting to that point in the draft where corner has to get some looks. Reggie Robinson is a great developmental player. Ball Skills are there, aggressive and great size. But his detractors point to poor hand usage, footwork and inexperience. I believe in our staff to get this guy on track to be a contributor in 2021. 

Edit: oops, hit enter. Devin Duvernay just fell in my lap again and I think his speed still applies as a major need. Get Travis Benjamin and Goodwin outta here. 

Harrison Bryant ends up falling to 176 and though I like Dalton Keene, Harrison Bryant stands out as being a more well rounded.."dependable" prospect who definitely makes the roster day 1. TE depth has been an issue for a while now and with how Kittle plays, it feels like we're playing with fire when he's not around. Lets add upside here. 

even with Wills and Brunskill, IOL is still needing some plush. Darryl Williams is like the 5th Darryl Williams we've had, but maybe this one will work. He's a utility IOL who needs time..PS guy

Cole McDonald finishes our draft off with some spice. We add a QB who has all the physical tools to stick around on rosters, but not for us..at least for now. He ends up on the PS but this is a guy who can push Beathard for that third QB spot and McDonald could be in the conversation for the main backup gig by 2021.

Third and bonus (and worst) draft

Edited by John232
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, John232 said:

Hello, I haven't been on much despite the quarantine because I've been working at a foodbank!

This post deserves 7-8 likes for this alone. Kudos!

There are a lot of prospects you have on there. Pittman is getting a lot of love out there right now. Having him and a healthy Hurd would completely transform our offense with size on the outside

Gibson is electric and would also transform the offense. I have been saying it all offseason as well, time to get a RB who can catch passes

Thomas is going to be a very good pro from day 1

Ruiz is a perfect scheme fit and a huge need, as you say

Lots to like here. Good work!

Someone that I fell in love with during FFMD is Saahiq Charles. He was LSUs LT. I think he is going to be an amazing guard in our scheme. He doesn't have the power needed against NFL DEs on an island, but he moves very well. Light feet and good balance. would be excellent pulling to the edge. I would be very happy with him in the 5th or 6th.

Any draft that got us Thomas and Ruiz would be a winner right there. :)

As for whom i hope we draft. 

Thomas is who i really want at #13 doubt he gets there.

i just dont want wr at 13 i  think this draft had too many quality wideouts to draft one at 13 i am happy taking one later hopefully Claypool. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N4L said:

This post deserves 7-8 likes for this alone. Kudos!

There are a lot of prospects you have on there. Pittman is getting a lot of love out there right now. Having him and a healthy Hurd would completely transform our offense with size on the outside

Gibson is electric and would also transform the offense. I have been saying it all offseason as well, time to get a RB who can catch passes

Thomas is going to be a very good pro from day 1

Ruiz is a perfect scheme fit and a huge need, as you say

Lots to like here. Good work!

Someone that I fell in love with during FFMD is Saahiq Charles. He was LSUs LT. I think he is going to be an amazing guard in our scheme. He doesn't have the power needed against NFL DEs on an island, but he moves very well. Light feet and good balance. would be excellent pulling to the edge. I would be very happy with him in the 5th or 6th.

Thanks. I actually had us trading up in a draft to pick Charles. Really like him, might be my third mock, I lost one too so maybe it was that one. But I would love picking him up in the 4th.

• Like 1

Between these two i think i prefer the second one. I don't see any way we will go O-line with both firsts and think IOL is really unlikely as a first round pick for Shanahan. I think we can all agree we can use an upgrade at OG but the history of the Shanahans really shows the lack of value they put on them so that really makes me question picking a OG early in the draft. OC we are pretty much locked into Richburg for the future so if we address OG in the draft it will probably be around the 4th or 5th.

Also just in terms of the players you took in the second the only one i am not really that in love with is Bryant but at that point the value is there for sure. But WIlls, Robinson, Gibson, Duvernay and Cole McDonald would really be a dream.

Edited by Justone2