NFL Draft GDT: Day One (no spoiled picks!!)

Forge

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

There is SERIOUS trepidation with me on Ruggs. You're talking about a guy who was a 3rd and sometimes 4th option in that Bama offense, to turn around and give you top of the draft production and be a legitimate starter against bigger, stronger, more athletic comp? This is starting to feel like Pettis all over again...

Behind three other legit first round talents tbh. I think with Bama it isn't that much of a bad thing. Does it make me pause if he can take that step to be a true big time difference maker because he didn't in college? Yeah sure but to be behind Jeudy, Waddle and Smith i don't think is that big off a deal.

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

There is SERIOUS trepidation with me on Ruggs. You're talking about a guy who was a 3rd and sometimes 4th option in that Bama offense, to turn around and give you top of the draft production and be a legitimate starter against bigger, stronger, more athletic comp? This is starting to feel like Pettis all over again...

He checks all the boxes physically athletically despite being small. I don't have any physical trait questions like I did with Pettis. I also think that PEttis has like 0 desire, tbh, which is fairly rare. 

That being said, his usage and production is seldom seen from a first round pick. I mean, Matt Jones converted to receiver, so that was a sizable outlier, but I'm trying to think of a scenario similar to Ruggs' and I really can't, so it's kind of unprecedented. 

He hits the excitement and panic button for me all at once lol

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

He checks all the boxes physically athletically despite being small. I don't have any physical trait questions like I did with Pettis. I also think that PEttis has like 0 desire, tbh, which is fairly rare. 

That being said, his usage and production is seldom seen from a first round pick. I mean, Matt Jones converted to receiver, so that was a sizable outlier, but I'm trying to think of a scenario similar to Ruggs' and I really can't, so it's kind of unprecedented. 

He hits the excitement and panic button for me all at once lol

I think the thing Ruggs get's knocked for is being small, even though he's built thick. People see the speed and think John Ross, Desean Jackson, Ty Hill, etc. But he's actually a very balanced WR. I think Jeudy is a much more refined route runner, but Ruggs has much better hands and is no slouch with the routes. 

I think I'm souring a bit on Jeudy and Lamb is becoming my #1 WR for me. I'm also warming up to the idea of Ruggs more as well. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Behind three other legit first round talents tbh. I think with Bama it isn't that much of a bad thing. Does it make me pause if he can take that step to be a true big time difference maker because he didn't in college? Yeah sure but to be behind Jeudy, Waddle and Smith i don't think is that big off a deal.

I understand the talent level in that Bama WR room. But we're talking top 20...in the entire draft. Not a bottom first or a 2nd rounder. Idk....I understand what he brings physically. But I also understand what he doesn't bring physically. 

Like I get that he compliments our group perfectly. But is he legitimately, a better talent than the guy we just drafted in 2nd round a year ago?? Is he a legitimate #1 WR? Or is he Brandin Cooks with more speed. A skillset which is valuable but more of a compliment to a true #1 type of WR. 

Just now, 757-NINER said:

I understand the talent level in that Bama WR room. But we're talking top 20...in the entire draft. Not a bottom first or a 2nd rounder. Idk....I understand what he brings physically. But I also understand what he doesn't bring physically. 

Like I get that he compliments our group perfectly. But is he legitimately, a better talent than the guy we just drafted in 2nd round a year ago?? Is he a legitimate #1 WR? Or is he Brandin Cooks with more speed. A skillset which is valuable but more of a compliment to a true #1 type of WR. 

Oh yeah but Cooks is a guy that has been traded for a first round pick twice so may not be the best comparison. With Ruggs you are banking on the physical talents and the sure hands translating to a bigger role no doubt about it. But guys that athletic with those hands are special. Ruggs is a guy that will either be the top receiver of this class of he will be a bust. Really you are drafting him for what he can be and not really for what he has done.

9 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Oh yeah but Cooks is a guy that has been traded for a first round pick twice so may not be the best comparison. With Ruggs you are banking on the physical talents and the sure hands translating to a bigger role no doubt about it. But guys that athletic with those hands are special. Ruggs is a guy that will either be the top receiver of this class of he will be a bust. Really you are drafting him for what he can be and not really for what he has done.

And that's the part that scares me the most honestly...

• Like 1

Just now, 757-NINER said:

And that's the part that scares me the most honestly...

And i agree fully that its a big risk taking him. 

It would get me more excited than drafting a guy like Jeudy to be honest but with that excitement comes the risk.

23 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Rasul Douglas for Marquise Goodwin? 

One of the late rumors today is that if there is a run on tackles and the Jets can't trade up to get their guy, the eagles would use Dillard and Douglas to move up to the Jets spot.