NFL Draft Round 1 Discussion

zelbell

9 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I know drafting for need rather than BPA gets you killed, but I'd love another safety and linebacker before we start hitting the button on just about anybody. 

1. Xavier McKinney, S

2. Antoine Winfield Jr, S

3. Logan Wilson, LB

4. Zack Baun, LB

5. Grant Delpit, S

6. Malik Harrison, LB

7. Troy Dye, LB

8. Jeremy Chinn, S

fify

• Like 1

Man, I get having a succession plan in place with an older QB, it’s forward thinking and smart as hell imo, but I can’t help but think the Packers jumped the gun by a couple of seasons.

ARod must be a complete arse to work with or they think Love is some elite prospect, idk, but what an odd pick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Man, I get having a succession plan in place with an older QB, it’s forward thinking and smart as hell imo, but I can’t help but think the Packers jumped the gun by a couple of seasons.

ARod must be a complete arse to work with or they think Love is some elite prospect, idk, but what an odd pick.

If you think he is a stud prospect, might as well take him in the first so you get the extra year on the contract.  So maybe they don’t think AR has 5 years left in the tank. Or at least be worth his price tag. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

If you think he is a stud prospect, might as well take him in the first so you get the extra year on the contract.  So maybe they don’t think AR has 5 years left in the tank. Or at least be worth his price tag. 

So many issues with it though.

1. ARod signed a huge deal not too long ago and likely has a huge cap hit to move on from him.

2. They were in the NFC championship game last year.  This is a “win now” team.

3. ARod has maintained he wants to play another 4 years (till at least 40, his words)

4. Dude has a history of being pissy.  I just wonder how well this is going to sit with him and how much of a “team player” he’s going to be?  And he’s not wrong tbh.  Imagine not having a top pick being spent on a skill position your whole career.

5. He’s still playing at an elite level.

Like is said, I get it if he were pushing 40, declining, etc., or if the team was just not good and they were ready to push the restart button, but none of that really applies.  

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So many issues with it though.

1. ARod signed a huge deal not too long ago and likely has a huge cap hit to move on from him.

2. They were in the NFC championship game last year.  This is a “win now” team.

3. ARod has maintained he wants to play another 4 years (till at least 40, his words)

4. Dude has a history of being pissy.  I just wonder how well this is going to sit with him and how much of a “team player” he’s going to be?  And he’s not wrong tbh.  Imagine not having a top pick being spent on a skill position your whole career.

5. He’s still playing at an elite level.

Like is said, I get it if he were pushing 40, declining, etc., or if the team was just not good and they were ready to push the restart button, but none of that really applies.  

The only reason is they think Love is an elite prospect.  No other reason to draft him this year.  

Edited by JDD

Unless Jordan Love ends up being a premier quarterback, I will never agree with what they just did. They have a Hall of Fame quarterback who is not on the down slope and a window to still win another Super Bowl with him. What a slap in the face.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Unless Jordan Love ends up being a premier quarterback, I will never agree with what they just did. They have a Hall of Fame quarterback who is not on the down slope and a window to still win another Super Bowl with him. What a slap in the face.

Even if he does end up great, it’s still questionable imo.

With ARod they should have at least a 3-4 year window to win, why are you using premium assets now in preparation for 2023?

Usually I think teams are far too short sighted.  This is the first time I can recall thinking a team is putting too much stock in the future and not enough in the short term.

I mean, GB is a stable organization, but it takes some stones for a newer GM to assume they’re gonna be around in 3-4 years when you just effectively alienated your HOF QB.

Just a wild, wild move.

• Like 2

Yup, just a dumb move on Green Bay's part. I could understand a team like New Orleans taking a QB when Brees very well may retire after this season, but Rogers likely has at least a few years left. Why not add an impact player who can help you win now?

I just wonder if they think they could take him, groom him up, show him off in the preseason for a year or 2 and trade him for a better pick but man that is quite the long game for that. Thinking they can do a Jimmy G Patriots thing