In honor of Kurgan Hitman Final Mock: Twas the Night Before the 2020 NFL Draft

Steeler Hitman

With the 49th pick the Pittsburgh Steelers  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think the Steelers take at #49?

• Best available RB (Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, Cam Aikers or Zack Moss)?
    • Best available WR (Brandon Aiyuk, Michael Pittman, Laviska Shanault, Chase Claypool, Denzel Mimms)?
    • Best available DL (Neville Gallimore, Jordan Elliott, Davon Hamilton)?
    • Best available Edge (Terrell Lewis, Curtis Weaver, Josh Uche)?
    • Best available Safety (Kyle Dugger, Antoine Winfield Jr., Jeremy Chinn).
    • Best available IOL or LT (Cesar Ruiz, Lloyd Cushenberry, Robert Hunt, Ezra Cleveland, Matt Peart)?
    • Take the best trade available to move down and add picks in the 3rd or in the 5th round?

22 minutes ago, jebrick said:

So Hargraves was not the NT type they wanted?  He was not the classic Wilfolk/Hampton type NT.  He was closer to a 3 or 1 tech in a 4-3.  The Ravens, with Brandon Williams, considered one of the best NT, got killed vs the Titans. 

He did that game. rarely does he get killed in the rushing attack. Yeah the Titans ended up being a bad match-up. How many other rushing attacks bullied Williams? Would he help our run defense? 

A player like Hargraves you take day 2.  Now they were 7th vs the run in 2019.  Hargraves played 60% of the snaps only because Tuitt was injured.  If you want a Hargraves replacement you want to make that pick #49 with players like Blacklock, Gallimore and Madubuike.

No doubt I love Neville Gallimore. I would not classify Gallimore as a classic NG that I would want in a base 3-4.  Goal line, short yardage and some specialty run stuffing stunt plays absolutely. I am not against a stout 4-3 DL who can play 1. 

Typically classic NG's do not get moved around. Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfolk, Tony Saragoosa and many other NG types had bad games, but more often than not, teams didn't run the ball down their throats.  I want to have the horses up front to win in December and win deep into January and February. 

This is why, in the FFMD, I asked what people think they want in a NT.  Hargraves was/is not a classic 3-4 NT  Do you want to replace his skill set?  Gallimore, Blacklock and Madubuike.

If you want a fat body classic video chain NT Davon Hamilton is perhaps the best then Strowbridge but you are looking at players that play 40% of the snaps or less.  Add McTelvin Agim into that mix but he is closer to Hargraves style than Williams

First 3 must be drafted with pick 49.  Add Hamilton to that as he will not last until 102.  The others could be gotten in the 5th or later

Edited by jebrick

16 hours ago, jebrick said:

This is why, in the FFMD, I asked what people think they want in a NT?

So that we are on the same page, I want or prefer the more traditional/classic type of run-stuffing, blocker occupying type NG. I don't really care if this is the Hampton, Wilfork type of squat/wide heavy or monstrous in size like Shaun Rogers. I want a guy who can clog the middle and occasionally burst into the backfield and disrupt the QB or RB.

Hargraves was/is not a classic 3-4 NT.

Completely agree.

Do you want to replace his skill set?  Gallimore, Blacklock and Madubuike.

No. I want a more traditional NG. I do like Gallimore, but I think that Gallimore would be more effective as a run-stuffer (in a four-man front)than Hargraves is/was. I would ideally want a guy like Leki or one of the top guys who are out of our reach (Kinlaw or Brown).

If you want a fat body classic video chain NT Davon Hamilton is perhaps the best then Strowbridge but you are looking at players that play 40% of the snaps or less.  Add McTelvin Agim into that mix but he is closer to Hargraves style than Williams

I thought Strowbridge was more an occasional DE for us. I could see him playing there in a 4-3 or Big Nickel, but too light or small for what I would want inside to help stop the run. My desire for a run stopper is for specialty situations (again, running downs, short-yardage, and goalline). That guy would ideally be Dan McCullers, but I want an upgrade.  Hargraves needs to be replaced but not necessarily with the same type of player. I agree with what you are saying.  My other difference is that come December, January, and February that 40% goes up.  Green Bay is an example of a team that had smaller DL's that got gashed in the play=offs by a physical OL and punishing rushing attack. Since the Steelers have tried to improve in pass defense, I believe, the run defense has suffered. I get this isn't 2004 or 2005 either, but a good rushing attack and stout defense will the SB more often than not. I am not going to micro-manage the stats if it can help us win. I preferred Andrew Billings to Hargaves when they drafted Hargraves.

The first 3 must be drafted with pick 49.  Add Hamilton to that as he will not last until 102.  The others could be gotten in the 5th or later

Agreed. Despite the size and body type, I like Gallimore at 49 depending on who else is there because I think he is a better run defender than Hagraves is/was for us. I see him or whoever we would draft as an additional piece to add to the defense. We get Tuitt back. He will take care of the passing downs and it would be nice to be able to kick him back outside in some short-yardage situations where he could better use his strength and quickness against a tackle or TE blocking. I would rather have Brandon Williams to help stop the run than Hargraves. More often than not, he will come through with helping to stop the run. I just feel like the Steelers need help there. In the end, I don't really care if they get that help early or late. It all depends on how the board falls.