Bears Downs

MOSteelers56

7 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Bottom line...while I know Tomlin has a rep for this, this loss wasnt just on him.     I didnt feel like we lacked energy and motivation like we have in past losses to bad teams.  It just felt like we were an average team outplayed by a below average team.....not a good team being outplayed by a bad team.

Well based on how we've played the first three games, it's hard to argue with that.  

I think the only real saving grace for Tomlin right now is that everyone - even the Pats - has struggled and looked inconsistent this year. And record wise, just about everyone has dropped at least 1. It's just that sort of start to the year. Week 1 is always crazy so I don't read too much into things. Dumb things happen. Bears playing Falcons tight doesn't mean they'll be good. By seasons end I suspect they'll be terrible as we suspect. *Usually* most teams settle down by week 2 and we start to see clearer glimpses of who is good or bad. That hasn't really happened this year.

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Ben looks like poo.   People are quick to point out coaching, and obviously there is an issue there when playing sub-par teams....but what have we done this season that makes anyone think we are more than an average team?   Ben certainly hasnt played like a highly paid franchise QB.    Bell doesnt look anywhere close to the most versatile weapon in the NFL.    Bryant is still an inconsistent, largely one trick pony.     The OLine looks middle of the pack rather than top 5.      The defense still clearly lacks playmakers.    Coaching is very questionable and inconsistent week to week.

^^This^^  Playcalling and preperation have their place but players have to execute.

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

^^This^^  Playcalling and preperation have their place but players have to execute.

Honestly, like I said in the GDT I don't see it because the throws are ones that he usually misses.  He's been throwing off his back foot more because the OL isn't getting the surge up front it should.  But midrange touch throws have never been his forte.  

To be clear here, I'm not excusing him, but I just don't think we're seeing some strange "oh that's not normal" out of Ben.  This is what he is.  A QB who isn't great in the 10-15 yard throws and a team that tends to lose when he throws it 30+ times a game.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Honestly, like I said in the GDT I don't see it because the throws are ones that he usually misses.  He's been throwing off his back foot more because the OL isn't getting the surge up front it should.  But midrange touch throws have never been his forte.  

I disagree.   He is missing throws he never missed before, and no, its not just when his line is struggling.   In fact, his line struggled much more in past seasons prior to 2014 or so and he made far better throws under duress than he has this season even in a clean pocket.   If he were just missing the same throws as he has in the past, we wouldnt be as concerned.

On 2017-09-24 at 8:46 PM, JLambert58 said:

Well based on how we've played the first three games, it's hard to argue with that.  

yeah, maybe we are the bad team but got lucky due to injuries (bikes) and then the browns starting over once again? I never saw the game so I can't say much.  If Ben is not playing well, then the OL and RB's + D need to step up,  but will they and will the coaches make these adjustments? I doubt it, I still see this team as a passing threat and will try to get that going. Even just AB, that is usually enough to win in the past 

11 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Everyone except Alejandro Villanueva was a down for me.  

He apologized for standing alone. What kind of crazy world do we live in? He said he was getting texts from Veterans and wounded soldiers telling him he needed to be out there. He seems to regret choosing the side of Veterans and active Military over his teammates.  He added that he believes his teammates would have stood with him had he asked but he doesn't seem like that type of person to me. I feel bad for him. The proverbial "Rock and a hard place". 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000851344/article/villanueva-regrets-how-anthem-decision-played-out

20 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

He apologized for standing alone. What kind of crazy world do we live in? He said he was getting texts from Veterans and wounded soldiers telling him he needed to be out there. He seems to regret choosing the side of Veterans and active Military over his teammates.  He added that he believes his teammates would have stood with him had he asked but he doesn't seem like that type of person to me. I feel bad for him. The proverbial "Rock and a hard place". 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000851344/article/villanueva-regrets-how-anthem-decision-played-out

Agreed.  I will say this.  I'm about done with the NFL altogether.  If the NFL didn't get the money though, I would've bought his jersey yesterday.  I decided I won't be giving them any more of my money though.  If the Steelers pull any nonsense next week I'm cancelling my Sunday Ticket and I'm done.  So I will have went from being dead set on going to a game in Pittsburgh this year, to not watching at all thanks to that garbage.

22 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I work at a VA Medical Center and speak to many vets on a daily basis....both patients and ones that work there.    Many SAID they are done with the Steelers after yesterday.   A coworker about 15 years my senior said he threw out 3 jerseys and was done with them as well.   Now, Im not sure I can go quite as far as them AT THIS POINT, but that move along with the quality of the NFL in general today has me thinking I may be done with the NFL within a few years.   A bunch of whiny manbabies who cry about inequality while playing a game that pays them millions of dollars while they live in a country where they are ALLOWED to protest.    Yeah idiots....go to another country and speak out about the government and how mistreated you feel.    Then, while youre in jail (or worse), you can regret not appreciating the freedoms you had and all the young men and women who fought and died for those freedoms.  THAT is what the flag means....THAT is what youre turning your back on in the name of "social justice".

Sorry, but at work today....thats all anyone was talking about, and didnt help thats all that was on TV all day.

PS....I have also been a Tomlin defender for awhile now, and have played devils advocate for him a good bit, even when I was annoyed by him.  That ends today.   I have lost so much respect for that man for being a sheep and playing into the narrative the media is clearly pushing.      You are a puppet Tomlin.   I see that now.    

4 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I work at a VA Medical Center and speak to many vets on a daily basis....both patients and ones that work there.    Many SAID they are done with the Steelers after yesterday.   A coworker about 15 years my senior said he threw out 3 jerseys and was done with them as well.   Now, Im not sure I can go quite as far as them AT THIS POINT, but that move along with the quality of the NFL in general today has me thinking I may be done with the NFL within a few years.   A bunch of whiny manbabies who cry about inequality while playing a game that pays them millions of dollars while they live in a country where they are ALLOWED to protest.    Yeah idiots....go to another country and speak out about the government and how mistreated you feel.    Then, while youre in jail (or worse), you can regret not appreciating the freedoms you had and all the young men and women who fought and died for those freedoms.  THAT is what the flag means....THAT is what youre turning your back on in the name of "social justice".

Sorry, but at work today....thats all anyone was talking about, and didnt help thats all that was on TV all day.

PS....I have also been a Tomlin defender for awhile now, and have played devils advocate for him a good bit, even when I was annoyed by him.  That ends today.   I have lost so much respect for that man for being a sheep and playing into the narrative the media is clearly pushing.      You are a puppet Tomlin.   I see that now.    

Agreed with all of that, except I was never on Tomlin's side.  I saw him for what he was all along.  I'm beyond disgusted with the NFL now.  

Just now, Magnus-Viktor said:

Agreed with all of that, except I was never on Tomlin's side.  I saw him for what he was all along.  I'm beyond disgusted with the NFL now.  

Well, I know there was alot of people who didnt like Tomlin for football reasons.   Thats not even my main issue.

After yesterday, I lost alot of respect for him as a man.

Now, after about 10 years, I am forced to change my avatar.   Cant in good conscience keep him there.

I'm not sure how much I'd put on Tomlin. He seems to be trying to appease both sides which is hard to do. In his mind not coming out kept the team from be "divided" on the sidelines where everyone can see. What he didn't realize is that by not coming out it appeared as if the whole team (Except AV) were protesting. That's how I took it before I heard his explanation. I'm not sure a coach would really even have the power to demand his players stand. That lies with the Owner imo (like Jerry). Jerry met half way. He demanded his players stand but went out prior to the Anthem and knelt with them. Perhaps that's what everyone else will do? It is getting harder and harder to watch.  

Archived