Bears Downs

MOSteelers56

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

FWIW, there's massive twitter threads of what you can and can't do with the flag.  Kneeling isn't on that list, but holding it horizontally is.  Just like using it as part of a sports uniform or  a costume.  Can't use it for advertising.  Can't use it for disposable items.  Can't put it on clothing.  If you're going to wear it on your shoulder it should be stars forwards and I've seen people sew it on the other way.

This has nothing to do with what I said. 

I don't blame the NFL for "force feeding" the public it's causes. I blame the root of the issue. If Trump keeps his mouth shut about something that does not concern him, this does not happen. He has more important things to worry about than 25 people kneeling for a cause. The NFL was not protesting the flag, nor were they protesting police brutality(which absolutely DOES happen), they were protesting the Government butting into private citizens lives. That is one of the main conservative ideals and now that does not fit their narrative so it is spun to make outrage elsewhere.

I've been largely silent on this issue, sans snapping at @Magnus-Viktor which was wrong of me, but it is hard to hold my tongue any longer. 

I'm sick and tired of seeing articles of who stood, who sat, who kneeled, etc. It's become a side show. What's the first thing I see about the game last night not the actual contest but the events prior to the national anthem. Even the articles that have nothing to do with any of that immediately turn into arguments about it. I watch sports for an escape not for a political commentary on who is right and who is wrong. Of course there are social issues that need to be addressed I just don't need to be called either "anti-American" from one side or a racist from the other just because I continue to watch my favorite sport. If people want to boycott then do it just don't tell me what to do with my spare time.

Think about this for a moment. AV APOLOGIZED for standing for the American anthem because this team is too damn stupid to even know where to stand for their show of unity. Are you kidding me? He did NOT need to apologize for squat. Now they are having meetings about what to do for the next time. Here's an idea how about have a meeting on learning how to make a freaking tackle? You know because you are paid to do that. How about spend some time learning how to catch the ball too? That would be nice. Bryant drops a sure TD, Mitchell drops an interception late in the game but instead on focusing on that I have to listen to a press conference on how no one knew what the hell they were doing before the anthem. So freaking stupid.

The Steelers face their bitter rivals on Sunday. I hope to hell they will concentrate on that instead of the crap that we are listening to now. I will say this I think the Cowboys did a great job with what they did last night. They showed unity as a team by kneeling and then when the national anthem played they stood for it. I never thought I would be crediting the Cowboys organization for being sensible. Was it that hard for the team to think of that? Then again we have coaches who think that empty sets on third and goal from the one yard line is a good idea so I guess it was.

12 minutes ago, August4th said:

tomlin was spot on today at his press conference... don't expect the steelers to find themselves in this situation again 

I hate to say it....the Cowboys did it right.  Come out, kneel as a team, stand up for the anthem.

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I hate to say it....the Cowboys did it right.  Come out, kneel as a team, stand up for the anthem.

they had a extra day to figure this out .. the timing of this really didn't work in the steelers favor.. 1 O'clock game and being the first team to say "they're doing something" in reaction to what was said by the president.. it was all eyes on them around 12:45 yesterday and steelers laying a egg on the field didn't help with the local base either .. looking back they should of did the "locked arms" stand

8 minutes ago, August4th said:

they had a extra day to figure this out .. the timing of this really didn't work in the steelers favor.. 1 O'clock game and being the first team to say "they're doing something" in reaction to what was said by the president.. it was all eyes on them around 12:45 yesterday and steelers laying a egg on the field didn't help with the local base either .. looking back they should of did the "locked arms" stand

I really think the NFLPA reps from every team should have been calling each other and done it as almost and entire NFL.

FWIW the Jags/Ravens had far less time to organize.  This is one of the few times I will he highly critical of Tomlin.  He really pushed the "everyone must do the same thing" notion that messed stuff up.  Then not having the coaches do the same thing as the team made it worse IMO.  Really if the team decided "hey lets wait" then you know what....the coaches should have waited too and been in front of the players so if someone messed up they took the heat for it.  Tomlin screwed the pooch with the "everyone does the same thing" motion.

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I really think the NFLPA reps from every team should have been calling each other and done it as almost and entire NFL.

FWIW the Jags/Ravens had far less time to organize.  This is one of the few times I will he highly critical of Tomlin.  He really pushed the "everyone must do the same thing" notion that messed stuff up.  Then not having the coaches do the same thing as the team made it worse IMO.  Really if the team decided "hey lets wait" then you know what....the coaches should have waited too and been in front of the players so if someone messed up they took the heat for it.  Tomlin screwed the pooch with the "everyone does the same thing" motion.

true... but that game started when everyone was just getting out of bed .. don't think the uproar would of been as bad if they did the same thing.. I was confused with the coaches being out there too ... what sounded like good idea somehow ended up being poorly executed imo and I think tomlin underestimated to attention this was gonna get ..

3 hours ago, August4th said:

interesting seeing people throw tomlin under the bus for this when it was a team vote

he was born and raised in a military town and reading his thoughts on this..I think he's very much against kneeling and merging politics with sports

Easy - he divided the team by telling them they all had to do the same thing.  He could have easily said "don't stand next to someone of the same race, link arms.  Kneel, stand, whatever, we stand side by side like brothers."

Instead he clearly divided the team and the lockerroom by telling them that everyone had to do some things.  You can tell in the way Ben talked, "Some wanted to stand, some wanted to kneel but coach said we all had to do the same thing."

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

considering Kaepernick met with at least 1 veteran/football player and designed the anthem kneel based on their discussion , I don't think anyone has done anything wrong.

16 hours ago, jebrick said:

You do realize that no NFL team was on the field during the Anthem until 2009 when the Department of Defense and the National Guard PAID the NFL to trot the players on the field. 

Thats completely irrelevant to whats happening now.      

Wrapping the flag around a popular sport is kind of crappy.  Trying to unwaveringly fawn over a anthem or flag is something I would expect from North Korea or Russia.

If they refused to honor the flag in those countries, they would be imprisoned or killed.  No one is claiming that should happen.

In fact, people think they should honor the flag because people died to protect those very rights they take for granted.

Vets I know would not do that but all of them support the players' rights to do it.

Support the players RIGHT to do it?  Sure.

Support their CHOICE to do it?  No...not many vets are supporting that.    

Some people are taking it more to heart than others....but most vets I know sure as hell dont support that decision, even if they do support the RIGHT to do it.

I think there are worst ways to protest.  The players are not turning their backs on the flag.  They are saying the country is distressed.

It was all started by Colin Kaepernick....and kneeled out of protest to support a false narrative pushed by the mainstream media to create division in this country.     

I have nothing wrong with peaceful protest.

Not standing for the national anthem in no way, shape or form,  helps promote unity or equality.   It just creates more division.

I also think this was a major distraction for the preparation for the game.

Which is why they shouldve just did things the way they always have, instead of playing into the politics, which Tomlin moronically claimed thats what they wanted to avoid.   Good logic, coach.

Archived