AAA's Draft Eve Mock

AnAngryAmerican

Well I'm furloughed from one job and it's slow as molasses at the other so I might as well make another mock. This is a prediction of what I expect could happen, not necessarily what I would do if I were John Elway. That said, I do pick out prospects I like and I think are good fits with the system and in keeping with the organization's now-established MO of picking productive, high-character players from upper-echelon programs. I expect Elway & Co. to be active in this draft, using our 10 picks to navigate around the board. 

Trade: Denver trades #15 and #77 to Jacksonville for #9

1.9: CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma - Lamb is a very good prospect at a position of major need. With what I have observed this off-season, I think WR is the route they go, no pun intended, in the first round. With the Jets, Raiders and 49ers all needing WRs and picking ahead of us, I think Elway trades up with our top third round pick to assure our pick of the WR litter.  

Trade: Denver trades #46 and #95 to San Francisco for #31

1.31: Josh Jones, OT, Houston - Being active, Elway calls his good friend John Lynch and executes a trade that nets us a developmental OT prospect with a high ceiling, low floor, and over 40 starts under his belt while Lynch and Kyle's Niners get some additional picks to add more depth to their already elite roster. 

3.83: Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State - With our one remaining third round pick we grab a productive, experienced CB from the SEC who has good size, excels in zone coverage and is a willing tackler and supporter against the run, exactly what Fangio and Donatell want out of their DBs. Can contribute on day one.

Trade: Denver trades #118 and a 2021 4th Round Pick to Green Bay for #94

3.94: Nick Harris, C, Washington -  Productive, experienced interior offensive lineman from a strong college program. Harris is one of my favorite mid-round prospects in this class and I think he can start right away and play a high level. I also have heard from my Broncos beat reporter friend that we pay close attention to the PAC-12 schools and have a lot of trusts in our west coast scouts. 

5.178: Derrek Tuszka, EDGE, North Dakota State - Another prospect we met with and plays a position on which Elway has always placed a great deal of emphasis. 

Trade: Denver trades #181 to Arizona for #202 and 2021 5th round pick

6.202: Jordan Fuller, S, Ohio State - Gets high marks for character, leadership and effort, three-year starter from an elite program that has some flaws and limitations but provides depth and special teams potential. 

7.252: Steven Montez, QB, Colorado - I hear Matt Russell is really high on Montez (surprise, surprise) but he is worth a look as a long-term developmental QB with good size and a big arm. He has some similar traits to Lock and I've always believed the backup QB should be of a similar makeup to the starter. 

7.254: Josiah Coatney, DL, Ole Miss - another player with whom we met; productive with a good motor and Kolar can work on refining the raw areas of his game.

Gotta say I like it. Never thought we'd keep all our current picks, this consolidates and provides good opportunities. Love the Dantzler pick, meh on the Tuszka pick,feels like we have enough depth at the Edge position with Attachou, Reed and Hollins ?

17 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Gotta say I like it. Never thought we'd keep all our current picks, this consolidates and provides good opportunities. Love the Dantzler pick, meh on the Tuszka pick,feels like we have enough depth at the Edge position with Attachou, Reed and Hollins ?

We've met with Tuszka and we all know that Elway has always valued pass rushers. We drafted Shane Ray in the first round with Von and Ware on the roster. I'm not saying it's the route I would go but I can certainly see it happening. 

I dig it. I personally prefer Jeudy to Lamb because of his freakish route running. But I'd happy with either. My only concern with Nick Harris is that he has short arms and smaller hands. He is very strong, but definitely compact. Still though, this draft could offer a huge improvement to our line. Never gonna be mad about a draft that does that.  

15 to 9 would require a lot more than 77 FWIW - but I love Lamb.  

Especially if the QB’s & Becton falls, this becomes a more necessary consideration.   But the move to 9 from 15 given the drop in talent tier is going to be pricier.  15 to 11-12 more likely imo. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I must have read something wrong because you're right. #15 (1050) + #77 (205) = 1255 while #9 equals 1350 according to this chart. So whoops on my part, no idea how I screwed up my math there. 

Plus that formula is just a guide.  If the QB’s are falling or Becton then the 15 spot doesn’t necessity guarantee the team trading back the same tier of talent.  It’s hard to see them trading back at simply book value.  

DEN traded back at less than book value  last year because they wanted to go O with who was left and it definitely made no sense to go anyone but Bush as overall BPA - so they moved back and took less but still gained value & their O target still in hand.  It’s hard to see the same thinking here given how the tiers of talent are working out so far. 

Edited by Broncofan

Honestly, I don't love it but it seems realistic. 

Dislike trading up for a WR. Dislike Nick Harris as he is a pure ZBS guy and we run more of a hybrid scheme, would likely fit if we had a Shanny tree offense. Dislike trading up for Jones, don't think his talent differential vs other 2nd tier OT is worth a move up. 

Really like Dantzler and Derrek. Also sorta like taking Montez as a flyer, especially that late. Kid has the arm and body, seems to want to get better, not sure if he has the smarts to match the effort but could see him being a nice backup if the switches flip. Feel bad for Montez because he really does have such great character and work effort but just cant correct his mistakes. Slow through progressions and freshman level footwork still. 

Havent scouted Coatney or Filler.