WR Rankings for Bears

dll2000

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

As Beardown3231 pointed out above, Claypool actually BLOCKS too.... That alone could be MASSIVE on the perimeter with a shift little guy like Cohen coming out to the edge.

I'd add, it's one of the reasons I'm so high on Mims as a WR too... the guy is a hellacious and unselfish blocker in addition to the WR talent.

Grabbing say Mims, Claypool, AND a super fast and also Big RB/WR like Antonio Gibson could prove to become an absolutely LETHAL WR/Screen game..... and that's before accounting for having Robinson on the field and or Graham or Cohen.

Either of them and Miller would spring a lot of guys. Miller can be a nasty blocker.

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I have only really looked at Pittman, Hamler and Mims and I would take any of those guys in 2nd with either pick.   

I think Pace was dumb to take Ridley last year with this class coming in this year.  Poor foresight.  I said so last year not knowing anything about these WRs because everyone was saying even then that this years class was going to be loaded.   It wasn’t a secret.  It was a rare case of you when shouldn’t go BPA.

I don’t think he planned out last years draft well.   He should have waited on RB even though I like Montgomery.   That isn’t hindsight we talked about that a lot last year before the draft.   If you wanted a TE you had to pick one with first pick.  No one really had the Raiders guy on their radar.  I never heard of him.   I just was going off names given.   

I also think he shouldn’t have had to draft a TE last year anyway because he should have got one in FA last year.  

Edited by dll2000
Spelling

17 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Here's Claypool blocking guys to hell and make great ST tackles

Yep, he has over 20 ST tackles too in his career, dude clearly isn't afraid to get dirty and fight. 

That is why I like him as a chespiece. If you can get a lot of WR depth then he can double as the U TE too, if you get a good U TE then he can stay as a pure WR. He has the athleticism and size/strength for both IMO. 

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Yep, he has over 20 ST tackles too in his career, dude clearly isn't afraid to get dirty and fight. 

That is why I like him as a chespiece. If you can get a lot of WR depth then he can double as the U TE too, if you get a good U TE then he can stay as a pure WR. He has the athleticism and size/strength for both IMO. 

I don’t know much about him. But I know drafting tweeners seems to fail more than work. And I don’t like drafting to special teams. You draft guys because you think they have a chance to start at a position.  Unless it is late rounds. 

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don’t know much about him. But I know drafting tweeners seems to fail more than work. And I don’t like drafting to special teams. You draft guys because you think they have a chance to start at a position.  Unless it is late rounds. 

No, I'm not drafting him to be a gunner or anything. I just meant his body of work in ST just means he has shown enough physicality to handle the rigors of blocking, and he will learn to better use his size/strength to throw off press CBs too. Someone compared his blocking to Burton as neither was a TE in college, which was way off what he does. The guy is a much better blocker than Burton ever has been. He's be starting here immediately if he could get a grasp on the playbook IMO. 

Edited by Sugashane

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

No, I'm not drafting him to be a gunner or anything. I just meant his body of work in ST just means he has shown enough physicality to handle the rigors of blocking. Someone compared his blocking to Burton as neither was a TE in college, which was way off what he does. The guy is a much better blocker than Burton ever has been. He's be starting here immediately if he could get a grasp on the playbook IMO. 

IF.

Horstead could likely because he was an Ivy leaguer and he said he struggled with it.  

Not a great chance Claypool can do same with a limited offseason.  And he has to beat out Horstead who played last year to get the reps behind Graham, Holtz and KC signee - forgetting his name.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I think Pace was dumb to take Ridley last year with this class coming in this year.  Poor foresight.  I said so last year not knowing anything about these WRs because everyone was saying even then that this years class was going to be loaded.   It wasn’t a secret.  It was a rare case of you when shouldn’t go BPA.

I think if Pace liked Wims as much as the forum thought going into last year’s draft then the Ridley pick was a redundant one. With that said, WR would be a secondary need right now if Wims had shown to be a viable top 3 WR option in 2019 making Ridley a depth piece and far less consequential right now. Instead he was just a guy and is going to be fighting again for a roster spot.

Moving forward I think we should be approaching the season as though Ridley and Wims are competing for 1 roster spot as a depth piece until either proves worthy of anything more. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Moving forward I think we should be approaching the season as though Ridley and Wims are competing for 1 roster spot as a depth piece until either proves worthy of anything more. 

I kind of agree... although I like Wims more as an X and Ridley more as a Z