OL preference for Bears:

dll2000

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I would be surprised if Wilson, Lewis, and Simpson, maybe even Hunt are on the Bears radar.

I know Castillo has had some big bodies in his day, but they don’t really fit a zone system.

Cushenberry has the decent skill but really good mental makeup, fantastic work ethic & wonderful character that Pace usually shoots for in round 2 (Goldman, Whitehair, Daniels [could probably include Shaheen in there although he turned out to really suck])

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Cushenberry has the decent skill but really good mental makeup, fantastic work ethic & wonderful character that Pace usually shoots for in round 2 (Goldman, Whitehair, Daniels [could probably include Shaheen in there although he turned out to really suck])

Cushenberry would make sense. Hennessy as well if we trade down.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Warford would be a solid addition plus I don't think he'd count towards the comp formula since he was released?

He also has experience playing in the NFC North division.

If they could snag him for no more than $5M then sign me up.

I knew they wouldn't outright replace the OTs this offseason, but better play has been needed at RG ever since Long's stability left.

12 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Is that sarcasm font? :)

No, puberty is just a b***h. 

11 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Has blaming the position coach become the football equivalent of blaming the hitting coach?

I think in both instances there is a high correlation but not true causation. I firmly believe coaches can raise and lower the players' ceiling/floor. No coach is going to just make a mediocre talent become a perineal All Pro, but you can elevate or damage a player with scheme, coaching, etc.

I think HH sucked while here and his players were poor fits for the power scheme. I said they didn't fit it when he was hired, though I thought he'd adjust and they'd improve too. But the missed, weak, and low-effort blocks were as much on the players. They're just not a talented group. You have two interior lineman definitely worth keeping and that's it. The OTs are at best average and were hoping Ifedi shows he can thrive as a RG. 

Hopefully Castillo can play to the OLs strength and Pace can actually add talent at both tackle spots while he tries to hide their weaknesses. 

13 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Has blaming the position coach become the football equivalent of blaming the hitting coach?

LOL.

That is funny, but the number of missed blocks via assignment or just a blown block was pretty staggering.  I am not charting or grading players, but on any rewatch of a game it just jumps out at you.

Finally some analyst acknowledges that.   I kept hearing the Bears O line was average and I want to shout “liars!”  That or average was just horrible last year.  

14 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

It has. 

If you blame personnel it points the finger at the GM.

The HC needs to dump it on someone and **** flows downhill.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It has. 

If you blame personnel it points the finger at the GM.

The HC needs to dump it on someone and **** flows downhill.

I think the blame is divided amongst all parties ... GM, HC, OL coach, OL.

GM picked them and kept them and passed on others ... HC decided who to play ... OL coach is in charge of making them better, working tech and being sure they know assignments and ultimately OL is responsible for themselves.

All of them were hot garbage in 2019.   Whitehair is only guy of 7 or so guys who had some good games, but he also had some bad ones.  That is just terrible.

You can't leave TEs out of it either.  TEs are part of OL on a lot of plays, maybe most plays.   A lot of people forget that.   They were beyond awful until Holtz started playing okay and even he was not very good.  But at least he was competent. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

LOL.

That is funny, but the number of missed blocks via assignment or just a blown block was pretty staggering.  I am not charting or grading players, but on any rewatch of a game it just jumps out at you.

Finally some analyst acknowledges that.   I kept hearing the Bears O line was average and I want to shout “liars!”  That or average was just horrible last year.  

didn't you, before the season started, rip into Hiestand's coaching methods from what you observed at camp?